Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2010, 07:30 PM

190 posts, read 492,992 times

Advertisements

Besides the obvious weather differences, who has lived in both areas and cares to comment? I am interested in improving career opportunies (helping profession/counseling) and dating (30-somethings). I moved to the Tampa Bay area about 7 months ago. The fishing is great. The people are fine--a little on the transient and tatooed side--but its no biggie. I am happy to have work that I enjoy. This area just feels slow, somewhat under-populated, and a bit Southern--more so than I had expected. People from Chicago keep saying a young 30-something guy like me would enjoy Chicago. I am somewhat satisfied with life here, but I am at stage where I can afford to take a few risks. So I'm entertaining the thought. Mainly, I just would like to increase my pay and find more women in their late 20s or early 30s without children. Plus, I would like to try out a city with excellent public transportation and get out of the South--but keep some of the friendliness. What is this "mid-western" mindset all about? I've flown into Chicago and thought the city looked gorgeous--very charming. I know there has to be great fishing there with all that water Years back, I frequently fished while it was snowing, and went jogging with a face mask and layered clothing. I am not afraid of the cold. Would you recommend I consider Chicago? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2010, 09:33 AM

2,563 posts, read 3,624,366 times
The biggest challenges you'll face w/ Chicago are weather and cost-of-living. The winters in Chicago-- and don't let anyone tell you otherwise-- are long and cold. From mid-December to early-March, the temperature typically sits between 0 to 32. Yes, we have a lot of snow as well, but nothing like Buffalo or the UP (as some might have you believe).

You'll also find more professional opportunities here (and competition) and your salary would likely increase as well. However, remember, the COL in Chicago is going to be a lot higher than Tampa, so these things somewhat cancel out.

That said, being 30-something in Chicago-- and with a predisposition to take advantage of all its accessible activities, charms, its depth and breadth and variety-- can be a single person's nirvana, surpassed in the US only by NYC. If you can meet the life challenge that comes with uprooting yourself, there probably aren't too many other cities that will give you what you're looking for in the way Chicago can.

If you offer more specifics, I'll try to give you additional thoughts.

Old 01-12-2010, 10:49 AM

184 posts, read 571,274 times
Okay, Chicago is a huge city with lots of good think in it. Cost of living is higher in Chicago but not much higher. We are not talking NYC or SF so it won't be that big of a problem. Chicago offers alot more jobs and higher wages than Tampa. In Chicago you can live without a car with the public tranportation that we have. There are plenty of parks with water where you can fish in Chicago or lakes in NW Indiana as well. Chicago has the second largest financial district in the US and there are plenty of activities to do in and around downtown Chicago especially during the summertime. Plenty of girls in Chicago and beautiful ones. I personally enjoy the snow in the winter but I'm not going to lie, winters are cold compared to the south but eventually the summers make up for it. I think Chicago will fit you. If you dont like it you can always move somewhere else.

Old 01-12-2010, 07:36 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,498,822 times
I don't think COL in Chicago is that much more than Tampa... Tampa isn't exactly cheap. These cities are not even worth comparing, Chicago would mop the floor with Tampa or any other city in the region as far as dating and stuff to do. Tampa is kind of a blip on the map, not a well rounded or substantial size.

Old 01-13-2010, 08:44 AM

2,563 posts, read 3,624,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
I don't think COL in Chicago is that much more than Tampa... Tampa isn't exactly cheap. These cities are not even worth comparing, Chicago would mop the floor with Tampa or any other city in the region as far as dating and stuff to do. Tampa is kind of a blip on the map, not a well rounded or substantial size.

Easy now.

He just used a misleading title. He's not saying Tampa is better than Chicago, he's simply inquiring about Chicago to gather information for a potential move.

No need to rip on Tampa.

Old 01-14-2010, 11:50 AM

16 posts, read 31,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmario_88 View Post
Okay, Cost of living is higher in Chicago but not much higher. We are not talking NYC or SF so it won't be that big of a problem.

That's not too accurate anymore. There are several sources that list Chicago as the second most overpriced city in America, only behind L.A. Chicago's insane property taxes, sales taxes, and general cost of living are to blame.
It's not the relatively cheap cosmo city it once was.

In NY or San Fran it's way more expensive for housing. But you will get paid very well if you can land the right job. Chicago you will be paid less...much less in many cases.

Old 01-14-2010, 05:42 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,498,822 times
haha, i lived in FL for 20 years so I feel certified to rip if need be. That being said, Chicago obviously doesn't have saltwater fishing if you are into that... freshwater can be comparable, of course without alligators. I think job opportunities if you want to move up faster are arguably better in Chicago, just many more options.
Don't let the midwest mindest fool you though, the business climate is definitely of top caliber... I wouldn't say it is relaxed ... more so than NYC or DC yes, but... compared to tampa it is going to be way more fast paced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seveneleven711 View Post
That's not too accurate anymore. There are several sources that list Chicago as the second most overpriced city in America, only behind L.A. Chicago's insane property taxes, sales taxes, and general cost of living are to blame.

In NY or San Fran it's way more expensive for housing. But you will get paid very well if you can land the right job. Chicago you will be paid less...much less in many cases.
Hrrm... haven't found much of a diff, having worked for Chicago and SF... similar jobs, similar salaries. Saved more in Chicago. Now when I was in FL my job salary took a downturn.

There are plenty of calculators... You could just as easily land a high paying job in Chicago as you can in SF...

CA income tax is much higher than IL btw and things cost more in general, not just including housing (which isn't just a little bit more but double-triple), hate to break it to you.

Only benefit I would see is if you were on the low end and you'd be better off in California at minimum wage as it is higher and has better social services (finding work, checks, tuition, job programs) If you are in the bulk of people lower to upper middle class, no way!

Old 01-14-2010, 09:48 PM

16 posts, read 31,343 times
Quote:
Now when I was in FL my job salary took a downturn.
And I know several people in Chicago who were forced to take massive salary cuts. What's your point?

Obviously we cannot go by your past job situations when comparing city statistics. Chicago is consistently reported as an 'overpriced city' based on bloated housing costs/taxes, unemployment figures, cost of living, weather (desireability) etc. The poster said that Chicago is not much higher than Tampa in terms of cost of living. That's just not true. Just about everything except utilities is much higher in Chicago.
Perhaps you could find a distant suburb that is comparable, but Chicago is definately higher than Tampa, as well it should be.

Old 01-15-2010, 11:34 AM

155 posts, read 196,800 times
You may want to read these articles before considering Tampa. I would choose Chicago.

No Respite For Tampa - Forbes.com

Best Cities For Young Professionals - Yahoo! Real Estate (http://promo.realestate.yahoo.com/Best_Cities_For_Young_Professionals.html - broken link)

Old 01-15-2010, 03:08 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,184,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seveneleven711 View Post

I know the suburbs property taxes are much higher than the city, but I've always heard sources that Chicago's property taxes are actually quite low for a major city. It has high sales taxes of 9.75%, but I think that's fairly close to other major cities in the country, and the city has no income tax, with a state income tax fairly low at a flat 3%.

Not saying it isn't expensive - and I definitely think it's nowhere near the deal it was 10 years ago, but I was confused how it's the 2nd most overpriced city. Especially with housing prices being quite low for a huge urban area. I

Last edited by Chicago60614; 01-15-2010 at 03:17 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City