Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most unique individual state?
Alabama 1 0.44%
Alaska 15 6.55%
Arizona 2 0.87%
Arkansas 0 0%
California 32 13.97%
Colorado 8 3.49%
Connecticut 2 0.87%
Delaware 0 0%
Florida 8 3.49%
Georgia 4 1.75%
Hawaii 48 20.96%
Idaho 0 0%
Illinois 0 0%
Indiana 1 0.44%
Iowa 0 0%
Kansas 0 0%
Kentucky 0 0%
Louisiana 12 5.24%
Maine 2 0.87%
Maryland 3 1.31%
Massachusetts 2 0.87%
Michigan 2 0.87%
Minnesota 4 1.75%
Mississippi 1 0.44%
Missouri 0 0%
Montana 1 0.44%
Nebraska 1 0.44%
Nevada 0 0%
New Hampshire 1 0.44%
New Jersey 11 4.80%
New Mexico 12 5.24%
New York 4 1.75%
North Carolina 2 0.87%
North Dakota 3 1.31%
Ohio 1 0.44%
Oklahoma 0 0%
Oregon 1 0.44%
Pennsylvania 3 1.31%
Rhode Island 0 0%
South Carolina 0 0%
South Dakota 0 0%
Tennessee 1 0.44%
Texas 22 9.61%
Utah 6 2.62%
Vermont 2 0.87%
Virginia 0 0%
Washington 7 3.06%
West Virginia 2 0.87%
Wisconsin 0 0%
Wyoming 2 0.87%
Voters: 229. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2010, 10:15 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,199,026 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desert sun View Post
here is why NM is unique-

its a purple state
catholic is majority,2nd is Southern Baptist
east/west/north/south parts of the state are different and offer different culture and feel
deserts and palm trees to forests and skiing to plains and country living
has its own cuisine(New Mexican)
has its own music (New Mexican)
borders a different country
is a minority majority state
has its own architecture(old adobe buildings)
has unique cities like Santa Fe and Taos
culture of many Native American tribes,Spanish,Mexican, and Anglos
one of the largest states but one of the most rural

Louisiana and New Mexico each have their own culture,cuisine and music and no other state has that......excluding Hawaii and Alaska. Thats what makes them truely uniques, lots of states have different landscapes but you need something else to make it truely unique.

New Mexico and Louisiana have lots in common for being two tottaly different states.
Tex-Mex, Tejano, Texas Blues, Texas Country, and more
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2010, 10:17 PM

4,552 posts, read 15,023,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Tex-Mex, Tejano, Texas Blues, Texas Country, and more

sorry man, I keep on forgetting about our neighbor TX, but we do have the architecture, so I guess we get the nod.

ok, NM,LA,and TX are the unique states.

Old 01-25-2010, 08:39 AM

643 posts, read 1,485,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
Only two states are not part of the 48 continental states. Only one of those two is not on the North American continent.

The answer is Hawaii.

LOL to the homers who picked their own states.
Well Done, LINative!

Old 03-22-2010, 08:21 PM

31 posts, read 62,583 times
california-here are my reasons
-it has many different regions (urban, agricultural, mountains, deserts, forests, etc.)
-it has more people than any other state
-it has many unique cities(e.g. San Francisco, Los Angeles)
-it has different climates in each region
-it is one of the most ethnically diverse states

Old 03-22-2010, 10:27 PM

631 posts, read 1,574,934 times
I gotta go with Cali for once. The only thing it doesn't have is icebergs! It's got deserts, forests, cities, towns, history/culture, beaches, lakes, bays, rivers...pretty much everything but a glacier.

Old 03-22-2010, 11:34 PM

1,604 posts, read 3,884,409 times
I'd say NJ has to be somewhere high on the list

for as small as it is, it has a LOT of oddities

- It is HEAVILY influenced by two very different metropolitan centers
- City, forest, farms, oceans, bays, swamps, and moutains all near each other
- Weird NJ
- less tract housing
- VERY diverse population that very clearly shows what ethic backgrounds they come from.
- North Jersey VS Central Jersey VS South Jersey. The differences within all of those areas are vast, subtle, and yet profoundly different
- Others that I'm too lazy to mention =P

Old 03-23-2010, 02:51 AM
Status: "From 31 to 41 Countries Visited: )" (set 4 days ago)

4,640 posts, read 13,915,052 times
Each state does have its regional culture, specific history and geography but my top 5 are Washington, California, Hawaii, Alaska, and New York state.

I cant believe places like Lousiana, Maryland, New Mexico, and Texas got more votes than Washington and New York... Those places are overrated in how people view them as so distinctive. However, Texas would still be high up there but not the top 5 for me.

The top 5 least distinctive and unique states?: Kansas, Nebraska, Indiana, Arkansas, and Oklahoma.

Old 03-23-2010, 03:20 AM

Why Washington in my top 5? : One of the biggest cities in America(Seattle) with one of the most impressive urban skylines, One of the most liberal US cities, One of the highest educated(based on percentage wth bachelor degrees), Microsoft(for computers), Boeing(for airplanes), Amazon.com is from here, Music groups such as The Postal Service, Modest Mouse, Eddie Vedder, Pretty Girls Make Graves, Kimya Dawson, Death Cab for cutie and other music groups and overall one of the most musically influencial cities in America recently, Some of the most rural/untouched places in America, 4th highest asian population out of all US states, Out of all Pacific northwestern and inland northwestern states(Washington, Oregon, Idaho, Montana, Wyoming) Washington is the most racially diverse, Tthe most northwestern state in the lower 48, One of the last US states in the lower 48 to be settled by non native americans, borders Canada, The second most highly populated state in the Western USA(the Western USA includes 13 states), The top 5th-10th USA state with most mountains while being the 18th largest USA state, Ocean(10-15 USA states have both ocean coastline and mountains) ,Temperate rain forests, Semi deset-desert, Most glaciers outside Alaska, Volcanoes, Has the highest Apple, Raspberry, Blueberry crop than any other USA state, The first USA state to have all females for both senator positions and governor position at the same time, as well as other unique things about the state.

Im glad to see Washington got some votes on this.

Old 03-23-2010, 04:33 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,927,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaturalUrbanBalence View Post
Each state does have its regional culture, specific history and geography but my top 5 are Washington, California, Hawaii, Alaska, and New York state.

I cant believe places like Lousiana, Maryland, New Mexico, and Texas got more votes than Washington and New York... Those places are overrated in how people view them as so distinctive. However, Texas would still be high up there but not the top 5 for me.

The top 5 least distinctive and unique states?: Kansas, Nebraska, Indiana, Arkansas, and Oklahoma.
How is New York anymore unique then Texas?

Old 03-23-2010, 04:47 AM

New York was one of the first states in the country to be settled by non-native americans. It has one of the biggest, highest density, most diverse cities in the world(However im definitely a fan of other cities and places that are not cities), it has one of the biggest preserved nature parks in America(Adirondacks), it has one of the highest populations, its borders the french speaking province of quebec in Canada, and other things too.

Im not trying to insult Texas, I would say its somewhere 6th-15th in uniqueness but the 5 states i mentioned before beat Texas in uniqueness based on my perspective.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City