Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: A city that holds infinite promise?
Columbus 77 52.38%
Charlotte 70 47.62%
Voters: 147. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 10:31 AM

1,374 posts, read 3,253,668 times

Advertisements

Anyone from Columbus that is wishing Charlotte won't "leap-frog" Columbus more than likely will not get their wish. Just remember that bigger does not always mean better. Size and population is just a way of grouping cities together.
[/quote]

"UrbanCharlotte", what a terrific posting ... thanks! Just to clarify though, I'm certainly not concerned about Charlotte passing up Columbus in population, or becoming a "more major city" ... ( it's expected ) and most other advocates of Columbus likely could care less about that either.
This thread was to be about "celebrating" the similar qualities of each city, the distinctions ... and the vitalities of BOTH in the future of America.
Great posting though!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2010, 10:31 AM

7,845 posts, read 20,801,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDBaumgardner View Post
Yes, you would be correct, DeaconJ ... Columbus "does" indeed have unique exhibits that "no other cities have", thanks for pointing this out!
Here's a perfect example, a photo I snapped this past autumn in Columbus'
city centre ... quite enthralling, isn't it?
Boasting is just never pretty...

Posting information for discussion purpposes is one thing. A blatant attempt at bragging is quite another.

Do you really think that a Chihuly exhibit is unique to your city? Chihuly Exhibition Schedule Coming to Naples Fl and Grand Rapids MI in 2010!

Old 01-21-2010, 11:22 AM

8,180 posts, read 14,860,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
Also, Columbus's proximity to other interesting cities (ie Cincy, Cleveland, Dayton) beats Charlotte's proximity to Atlanta. Yes, Atlanta is MUCH larger than all of the aforementioned cities. However, quantity certainly is better than quality IMO. Here in the Carolinas, Charlotte really doesn't have a "peer city" the same way that Columbus has Cincy and Cleveland. If a person lives in Charlotte and wishes to "see the Carolinas" every city that person is forced to visit is smaller than Charlotte (hence the reason why many of us travel to GA for "fun"). Visiting cities that are smaller than the city one resides in gets old fast.
I'd also give Columbus the edge in terms of its proximity to other large cities, but I wouldn't say that visiting all of the smaller cities here in the Carolinas gets old; I'm thinking mainly of Asheville and Charleston here, which offer things that Charlotte does not and goes back to my point of Charlotte also having a geographical advantage with its proximity to the mountains and the coast. With that in mind, I prefer our setup a little more; between Charlotte and Atlanta, we have everything that Columbus, Cincinnati, and Cleveland offer plus proximity to the mountains and the beaches. But generally, I get the point you were making.

Old 01-21-2010, 11:38 AM

Great, balanced and respectable posting, Akhenaton06! Thanks -

Old 01-21-2010, 11:41 AM

7,845 posts, read 20,801,231 times
I'm off to re-visit the Andy Warhol exhibit at the Mint Museum of Art... absolutely stunning!

Old 01-21-2010, 11:50 AM

Yes, it actually is "stunning"! I saw it at the Warhol Museum in Pittsburgh ... quite remarakable!

Old 01-22-2010, 11:28 AM

Default A Fresh Start ...

This has been an extremely spirited thread ... Let's all continue to focus on what makes each of these cities viable in the future of America, and also be "respectful" of others opinions. There is "no justifiable rationale" for the posting of "personal attacks", something that was discussed with a moderator.
So, let's all continue to share valid, interesting and even entertaining information concerning both Columbus and Charlotte.

I'm on a committee to assist in preserving the beauty, historical elements and the quality of life in the city of Columbus.
It's a labour of love too, that has been producing startling results. A greater sense of "community" has taken hold in Columbus ... "and a movement has begun" ... a catalyst that will assist in shaping a continued brighter future for Columbus.
( "Locals" can PM me for further details )
I look forward to engaging in a healthy and respectful forum, and I hope you will too!

Thanks-

John
Attached Thumbnails
Columbus or Charlotte? A Truthful Journey ...-columbus-ohio.jpg   Columbus or Charlotte? A Truthful Journey ...-keep-columbus-beautiful.jpg  

Old 01-23-2010, 11:26 AM

4,692 posts, read 9,300,881 times
I think this is a great comparison between two similiar cities. I have never been to columbus so I can only talk about what I know about of Columbus's stats. Charlotte has a higher GDP and more fortune 5000 companies. I would assume Charlotte is probably a better city for corporate business, although Columbus has some companies HQ there that are quite impressive. Columbus wins hands down in higher ed, although I would like to investigate more specific numbers for the city and metro areas. When it comes to urban area Columbus also wins, although IMO the UA numbers are misleading in that 3 of its suburbs/satellite cities have their own separate UA. If they were added the UA of Charlotte would be ~1.3million. That's about all I have for now. If I had to move to Ohio it is a toss up between Cincy and Columbus, although I would miss the NBA.

Old 01-23-2010, 11:33 AM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,621,789 times
I voted in your poll although you did not state which Columbus you are talking about.

Columbus, OH (pop. 747755)
Columbus, GA (pop. 185781)
Columbus, IN (pop. 39817)
Columbus, MS (pop. 24025)
Columbus, NE (pop. 21399)
Columbus, WI (pop. 4971)
Columbus, TX (pop. 3904)
Columbus, KS (pop. 3222)
Columbus, MT (pop. 1934)
Columbus, NM (pop. 1846)
Columbus, NY (pop. 1027)
Columbus, NC (pop. 979)
Columbus, KY (pop. 214)
Columbus, ND (pop. 122)
Columbus, IL (pop. 110)

I would choose Charlotte, North Carolina, over any of them, except maybe Columbus, NM, or Columbus, NC. I really don't like large cities. It is all right to live in the outskirts though.

Charlotte, NC (pop. 671588)
Charlotte, MI (pop. 9026)
Charlotte, VT (pop. 3754)
Charlotte, TX (pop. 1788)
Charlotte, NY (pop. 1691)
Charlotte, TN (pop. 1166)
Charlotte, IA (pop. 409)
Charlotte, ME (pop. 300)

I wouldn't know about the other Charlotte's on here. I had never heard of them until I checked on City-Data. I love this website because of the enormous amount of information. But until after I posted and skimmed through the thread I thought you might be talking about Columbus, Georgia. Comparing Columbus, Ohio, and Charlotte, North Carolina, is like comparing apples and oranges. Charlotte would win on the weather alone in my opinion.

You have heard about April in Paris. Well, April in Charlotte is just about as beautiful as it gets. When we first moved to Charlotte we were pretty low in finances, so my Dad who does not like large towns at all used his farm pickup to move us into our apartment in the Myers Park section. We moved to Perrin Place which at that time was a dead end street of duplexes with the rent at about $65 per month. They were waiting to build the higher priced townhouses that are there now.

I was concerned about what he would think about where we were moving. All the furniture had been unloaded and he was about to go back to his 70 acre farm and he looked around and said, "If you are going to have to live in town, I guess this would be as good a place as any. I have never seen so many trees inside town in my life."

What some on here do not realize is that there is a better life to be had than living in the city. When I look around to make sure I am safe, I want to be looking for dangerous animals and not dangerous people. I think we have the best of two worlds right now. We have moved about 25 miles outside of Charlotte and have lived here for more than 30 years. We are close enough to enjoy the shopping, entertainmant and medical benefits but far enough out to enjoy the country life and community spirit.

We see rabbits, squirrels, birds, and other wild animals on a daily basis. Last week my husband found deer tracks in our side yard. I liked Ohio for its lack of bugs, but I think we have it a little better here.

Last edited by NCN; 01-23-2010 at 12:21 PM..

Old 01-23-2010, 12:09 PM

725 posts, read 1,510,151 times
I would assume that Charlotte would have a better economy for some reason
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City