Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: A city that holds infinite promise?
Columbus 77 52.38%
Charlotte 70 47.62%
Voters: 147. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 04:35 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,299,122 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooks50 View Post
Charlotte's Job economy isn't anywhere near as diverse as COlumbus. I know many people in Charlotte who are having a difficult time finding work because of the heavily dominated finacial industry. Charlotte does have better weather and maybe more of a household name due to its professional sports presence. However as a whole Columbus is much stronger.
What makes you so sure that Charlotte doesn't have a diverse economy? If you are going on Charlottes economy based on what you hear in the news about our "banking" industry, which is different from being a "financial" industry, then I can see where you might be mislead. Charlotte is way more than banking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2010, 06:28 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,857,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
What catching up does Charlotte need to do with Columbus? It's GDP is higher, as well as per capita income I believe?
Columbus has some built-in advantages that Charlotte will never have (state capital, large university downtown, the river), but those aren't areas in which we need to "catch up." They are just fundamental differences between the two cities.

Old 03-25-2010, 11:37 AM

1,374 posts, read 3,253,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
Columbus has some built-in advantages that Charlotte will never have (state capital, large university downtown, the river), but those aren't areas in which we need to "catch up." They are just fundamental differences between the two cities.
This is a perfect example of what is "a balanced observation" ... and not a "slanted opinion"

Both Columbus and Charlotte continue to make great strides, and both
cities ultimately have "brighter" futures that lie ahead ... and also an increasingly important place in Americas future and conscience.

Old 03-25-2010, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
I can see that. Like you said, it's a fundamental difference but not something Charlotte needs to catch up with.

Old 03-26-2010, 10:54 AM

Default Columbus City Centre ... On a fast track to "prosperity"

Here is an excellent video that showcases just some of the "highlights", attractions, progress and prosperity that "is" happening right now in Columbus ... particularly in the city centre of Columbus.
Enjoy!

YouTube - Downtown Columbus

Last edited by JohnDBaumgardner; 03-26-2010 at 10:56 AM.. Reason: x

Old 03-26-2010, 11:28 AM

Default This SUMS it UP on Columbus!

This particular video accurately sums up the "Columbus Experience". It's an honest and very informational video on the city, and it touches upon
why Columbus truly is a great place to "make as your home"
Enjoy -

YouTube - See Why You Should Live, Work and Play in Columbus Ohio

Old 04-04-2010, 01:21 AM

Easter greetings and well wishes to you all ... from Columbus!

Old 04-04-2010, 08:46 AM

21 posts, read 55,442 times
Talking hello

Hey guys, I have been reading this forum since page 1(it's been crazy lol). First, I would like to say that I am living on the northwest side of Columbus, and have been in the city for nearly 4 years.

As far as the Charlotte VS Columbus thing goes.. I have given my vote to Charlotte.. Having gone there a couple of times.. I have seen the rapid expansion and amazing high rise construction plans. The city of Columbus seems to be lacking in this area of interest to me. Charlotte definitely has a lot going on, and for me is geographically pleasing. I'm strongly considering relocation to that area and will be making a long trip to investigate the area thoroughly.

John, I can appreciate the good spirited attitude towards columbus, and some of its greatest neighborhoods. I have only a couple of issues, one personal, and the other is the fault of the area citizens. The first: I hail from Michigan , and in this town, it has been some what hellish to be truthful of that. OhioState fans are some of the most unruly, chaotic minded people I have ever met . I would be fan this team, but the diehards and locals really turn me off when it comes to college football. In essence, it is like OSU is a religious cult. The second, is winter.. truly does suck in this town.. Sure.. it doesn't snow as much "usually" but it's even cloudier than in michigan most of the time, which did surprise me quite a bit. That of course is a personal issue, and other than those two things.. I have come to enjoy Columbus, and all that the area has to offer.

With all that being said, Charlotte seems to have the "new" energy and weather that suits my taste. I will be following development in both areas very closely, but Charlotte's is definitely more eye opening.

P.S. Hello all, look forward to interacting and meeting the people of this board.

Old 04-04-2010, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atthemoment View Post

John, I can appreciate the good spirited attitude towards columbus, and some of its greatest neighborhoods. I have only a couple of issues, one personal, and the other is the fault of the area citizens. The first: I hail from Michigan , and in this town, it has been some what hellish to be truthful of that. OhioState fans are some of the most unruly, chaotic minded people I have ever met . I would be fan this team, but the diehards and locals really turn me off when it comes to college football. In essence, it is like OSU is a religious cult. The second, is winter.. truly does suck in this town.. Sure.. it doesn't snow as much "usually" but it's even cloudier than in michigan most of the time, which did surprise me quite a bit. That of course is a personal issue, and other than those two things.. I have come to enjoy Columbus, and all that the area has to offer.
No need for apologies. You have offered your honest assessment in a very mature and non offensive or demeaning manner, and I appreciate your thoughts.
I agree with you on one aspect regarding Columbus ... I absolutely "despise" the ensuing pandemonium that envelops this city during the Ohio State football season. It's chaotic to get around the city during a home game, and the thought of dining in a bar during a game is a major NO!

I did NOT like Columbus after I first relocated here ... it felt slightly provincial in comparison to the cultural offerings and amenities back in my hometown of Cleveland.
After awhile though, Columbus became more and more appealing to me ...
I discovered a community that maintains an incredibly high level of civic pride and resident participation, with regards to pertinent matters that pertain to the city.
Columbus has a very positive "vibe" ... it kind of sneaks up on a person.
I have lived in Charlotte on several occasions, I never really encountered a feeling of resident cohesion there. Charlotte is a lovely city, but it lacks any real sense of community ... or at least to the degree that cities like Columbus can present.
Columbus and Charlotte actually share many similarities, with each city "besting" the other on several varying fronts.
I think it's a bit asinine for anyone to disregard the vast potential that Columbus HAS for further development and ensuing prosperity, something that seems to be all too common on this site ... mainly because people equate being in the state of Ohio with "rust belt images" and perpetual despair ... which certainly is NOT accurate by any stretch of the imagination.

Old 04-05-2010, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atthemoment View Post
Hey guys, I have been reading this forum since page 1(it's been crazy lol). First, I would like to say that I am living on the northwest side of Columbus, and have been in the city for nearly 4 years.

As far as the Charlotte VS Columbus thing goes.. I have given my vote to Charlotte.. Having gone there a couple of times.. I have seen the rapid expansion and amazing high rise construction plans. The city of Columbus seems to be lacking in this area of interest to me. Charlotte definitely has a lot going on, and for me is geographically pleasing. I'm strongly considering relocation to that area and will be making a long trip to investigate the area thoroughly.

With all that being said, Charlotte seems to have the "new" energy and weather that suits my taste. I will be following development in both areas very closely, but Charlotte's is definitely more eye opening.

P.S. Hello all, look forward to interacting and meeting the people of this board.
Welcome to the forum. Whenever you come to Charlotte let me know so I can tell you some spots you need to checkout.

And on that note, does Columbus have a theme park? I know Charlotte has Carrowinds, just wondering.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City