Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: A city that holds infinite promise?
Columbus 77 52.38%
Charlotte 70 47.62%
Voters: 147. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2010, 08:58 PM

2,742 posts, read 6,748,096 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDBaumgardner View Post
News to Use!

A recent study has shown that Columbus is ON TOP with a respectable # 1 ranking of all US cities for African Americans.
Charlotte also made the top 5, coming in with a ranking of # 4.
It's also worth noting that Columbus has the lowest AIDS infection rate of any major city in this study that has been released by BET. This is fantastic news, and it speaks volumes about Columbus'
ever emerging African American middle class community.

Here's the link

BET Networks PR Website - News Releases (http://bet.mediaroom.com/index.php?s=43&item=304 - broken link)
LOL!! That's not a recent list. Its from 2002! Link: Survey ranks best places for Blacks to live

BET did that once, in 2002, and never did it again. Black Enterprise is the publication that does the most frequent Best Cities for Africans-Americans list. Their most recent was in 2007. Link: The Ten Best Cities for African Americans

1.Washington D.C.
2.Atlanta, GA
3.Raleigh-Durham, NC
4.Houston, TX
5.Nashville, TN
6.Dallas, TX
7.Charlotte, NC
8.Indianapolis, IN
9.Columbus, OH
10.Jacksonville, FL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2010, 07:49 AM

1,374 posts, read 3,253,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Blue View Post
LOL!! That's not a recent list. Its from 2002! Link: Survey ranks best places for Blacks to live

BET did that once, in 2002, and never did it again. Black Enterprise is the publication that does the most frequent Best Cities for Africans-Americans list. Their most recent was in 2007. Link: The Ten Best Cities for African Americans

1.Washington D.C.
2.Atlanta, GA
3.Raleigh-Durham, NC
4.Houston, TX
5.Nashville, TN
6.Dallas, TX
7.Charlotte, NC
8.Indianapolis, IN
9.Columbus, OH
10.Jacksonville, FL
No, this data was released in 2010 by BET, but how very encouraging that Columbus made the list in 2002 also. This was big news in the local media
just a few months ago, so evidently, Columbus has received this ranking yet again.

Old 08-12-2010, 08:15 AM

Quote:
No, this data was released in 2010 by BET, but how very encouraging that Columbus made the list in 2002 also. This was big news in the local media
just a few months ago, so evidently, Columbus has received this ranking yet again.
No, that’s an old 2002 ranking, and an old 2002 link you posted. Below is their archive link where you got that article. Scroll down and you will see, “Oct 3, 2002 Columbus, Ohio Tops List of Best Cities for African-American Familiesâ€. The release you linked even notes it was a study done by BET Nightly News. BET Nightly News??? Do you know how long that show has been off the air??? Archive Link: BET Networks PR Website - News Releases (http://bet.mediaroom.com/index.php?year=2002&s=news_releases - broken link)

Old 08-12-2010, 09:04 AM

Quote:
No, that’s an old 2002 ranking, and an old 2002 link you posted. Below is their archive link where you got that article. Scroll down and you will see, “Oct 3, 2002 Columbus, Ohio Tops List of Best Cities for African-American Families”. The release you linked even notes it was a study done by BET Nightly News. BET Nightly News??? Do you know how long that show has been off the air??? Archive Link: BET Networks PR Website - News Releases (http://bet.mediaroom.com/index.php?year=2002&s=news_releases - broken link)

I'm not certain where the confusion lies, as this data was just recently
released, and it received wide spread acclaim in the local media outlets, that's how I came upon the information.
Regardless though, Columbus is an attractive city for African Americans and all others alike.
Here's another positive ranking that Columbus received just last year ...
Coming in at # 7 on Forbes list of "Best Bargain Cities"

http://www.forbes.com/2009/05/13/bar..._slide_10.html

Old 08-12-2010, 09:22 AM

Quote:
I'm not certain where the confusion lies, as this data was just recently
released, and it received wide spread acclaim in the local media outlets, that's how I came upon the information.
There is no confusion. The data was not recently released. Its old news from 2002. I showed you the archive link: BET Networks PR Website - News Releases (http://bet.mediaroom.com/index.php?year=2002&s=news_releases - broken link)

This ranking below is much more recent: The Ten Best Cities for African Americans

1.Washington D.C.
2.Atlanta, GA
3.Raleigh-Durham, NC
4.Houston, TX
5.Nashville, TN
6.Dallas, TX
7.Charlotte, NC
8.Indianapolis, IN
9.Columbus, OH
10.Jacksonville, FL

Old 08-12-2010, 10:08 AM

Quote:
There is no confusion. The data was not recently released. Its old news from 2002. I showed you the archive link: BET Networks PR Website - News Releases (http://bet.mediaroom.com/index.php?year=2002&s=news_releases - broken link)

This ranking below is much more recent: The Ten Best Cities for African Americans

1.Washington D.C.
2.Atlanta, GA
3.Raleigh-Durham, NC
4.Houston, TX
5.Nashville, TN
6.Dallas, TX
7.Charlotte, NC
8.Indianapolis, IN
9.Columbus, OH
10.Jacksonville, FL
Obviously, it "WAS" released again, and just recently too ... otherwise, the local media would not have been showing it in their newscasts. All 4 local
tv stations carried it, so perhaps Columbus received this designation from yet another group? As I stated before, regardless of when it was released, or from what media group, Columbus actually is a great city for African Americans to reside and flourish in.

Old 08-12-2010, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Obviously, it "WAS" released again, and just recently too ... otherwise, the local media would not have been showing it in their newscasts. All 4 local
tv stations carried it, so perhaps Columbus received this designation from yet another group? As I stated before, regardless of when it was released, or from what media group, Columbus actually is a great city for African Americans to reside and flourish in.
Obviously it was not, otherwise you'd show us this new information, or these new news stories.

Old 08-12-2010, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Obviously it was not, otherwise you'd show us this new information, or these new news stories.
I'm not willing to turn this into an argument. "I posted the link" that I obtained as a result of the "recent news that I actually viewed" locally in Columbus. The newscasts were all aflutter with this recent ranking ...
so, wherever this ranking orginated from, it's still quite positive and accurate data on the city of Columbus.
It's valid, just as much as the recent ranking of # 7 on a list of "Best Bargain Cities" released by Forbes.
It's a fact and we can safely proceed on ...

Old 08-12-2010, 10:51 AM

Quote:
I'm not willing to turn this into an argument. "I posted the link" that I obtained as a result of the "recent news that I actually viewed" locally in Columbus. The newscasts were all aflutter with this recent ranking ...
The link you posted was from 2002. If there were news stories, especially recent news stories, there would be links to those stories from the channels websites. Correct?

Old 08-12-2010, 11:52 AM

Quote:
The link you posted was from 2002. If there were news stories, especially recent news stories, there would be links to those stories from the channels websites. Correct?
Uhhh, not necessarily so, in a perfect world ... maybe. You're insinuating
that I have not viewed a newscast relating to this "recent ranking", because you have not been able to find it on the web, right? I don't
know what to tell you ... "this story was relayed recently" through the
Columbus media. It's a fact, period.
Moving on now ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City