Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: A city that holds infinite promise?
Columbus 77 52.38%
Charlotte 70 47.62%
Voters: 147. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2010, 07:48 PM

614 posts, read 1,763,911 times

Advertisements

Last time i saw this thread Charlotte was winning by quite a bit. +1 for Columbus
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2010, 09:01 AM

1,374 posts, read 3,253,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Blue View Post
SPORTING NEWS BEST SPORTS CITIES: Tuesday, Oct. 6, 2009

#23. Charlotte
#34. Columbus

Link: Best Sports City: The list - Sporting News - General - Sporting News (http://www.sportingnews.com/general/article/2009-10-06/best-sports-city-list - broken link)

BTW, you Columbus folks can join the rest of the nation in watching our NFL team on National TV tonight in Baltimore. It’s an away preseason game, but feel free to join the rest of the county in viewing nonetheless on ESPN.
There's no question that Charlotte may have more visibility when it comes to nationally televised sports, but I can tell you now that Columbus will not be paying much attention to the "Carolina Panthers" or any other pro team in Charlotte ...
The Ohio State University Buckeyes are thee absolute "CULT" in this city, virtually nothing else sports related exists beyond the Buckeyes.
During a Buckeyes game, is the only time that you'll find Columbus' vast network of freeways clear. LOL

Old 08-13-2010, 01:08 PM

2,742 posts, read 6,748,096 times
The latest addition to Charlotte’s skyline…

DUKE ENERGY CENTER
Awarded Platinum-Level LEED Certification
48 Stories 786 ft.tall Opened July 2010

YouTube - Duke Energy Light Show_0001.wmv

Old 08-14-2010, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Blue View Post
The latest addition to Charlotte’s skyline…

DUKE ENERGY CENTER
Awarded Platinum-Level LEED Certification
48 Stories 786 ft.tall Opened July 2010

YouTube - Duke Energy Light Show_0001.wmv

WoW! That's a gorgeous skyscraper ... reminds me of one I've seen in Dallas ...

Old 08-14-2010, 11:47 AM

2,399 posts, read 4,215,364 times
Anyone who places Columbus over Charlotte is obviously biased against the South.

Old 08-14-2010, 11:55 AM

2,399 posts, read 4,215,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
Right, because Chicago is sprawl-free. There is absolutely no sprawl in metro Chicago whatsoever. In Charlotte, this is what our urban core looks like from the air:

Chicago Suburbs on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/zack_mensinger/2706745187/ - broken link)

Oh my bad, that's suburban Chicago.

OK, here's that Charlotte picture. This is downtown all day:

Chicago suburbs from the air on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/62736719@N00/2912708983 - broken link)

Dang, that's suburban Chicago too.

The point is that it's absolutely ludicrous to act like Charlotte is the only city with ugly, cheap sprawl. Since Chicago is a much larger city, it's probably got more of that type of development than Charlotte and Columbus combined. God knows we've got more than our fair share of that crap here, but we've also got our fair share of quality infill as well, particularly since we've gotten light rail. That will only increase as our second leg of light rail and our streetcar systems get underway. Columbus may have quicker access to other large cities, but Charlotte has quick and easy access to both the mountains and the beaches (and we've got an airport, a pretty busy one at that, so we can get to any other city we need to just fine; this isn't 1860). Judging from all of the Ohio plates I see down here, especially in the summer, I'd say a lot of Ohioans are particularly fond of our geographical setup.
Charlotte has quick access to other large cities.

Atlanta
Triad
Triangle
GSP
Columbia
Knoxville
Charleston
Norfolk
Richmond

Columbus has quick access to:

Cincinnati
Cleveland
Indianapolis
Pittsburgh
Detroit
Toledo
Akron
Dayton
Louisville
Erie
Flint
Fort Wayne

Old 08-14-2010, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars&StripesForever View Post
Anyone who places Columbus over Charlotte is obviously biased against the South.

What a completely absurd assumption, devoid of any true merit ^^

It's a matter of opinion, like or dislike ... not prejudice.

Old 08-14-2010, 12:06 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,857,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars&StripesForever View Post
Not necessarily.

Old 08-14-2010, 12:45 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,798,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDBaumgardner View Post
What a completely absurd assumption, devoid of any true merit ^^

It's a matter of opinion, like or dislike ... not prejudice.
Of course it's a matter of opinion, but I highly doubt that most of the voters in this poll have visited both cities and are truly able to make an informed choice between the two...so prejudices actually do play a part in polls such as this. When a person doesn't have any experience to draw on, he/she will use other references to form an opinion - such as regional bias.

Of course the above isn't the ideal situation, but it's the reality of working with a public survey.

Old 08-14-2010, 12:53 PM

1,051 posts, read 1,597,261 times
Having lived in Charlotte, I can say that it is a very "pretty" city but devoid of any real personality. Most historical buildings have been torn down to make room for "new". There is no personality in Charlotte that I could find in the 5 years I lived there. I cannot vote in the poll as I have never been to Columbus. Just giving my 2 cents about Charlotte as a city.

I know I will hear NoDa, Myers Park and other small bits of the city, I am saying as a whole the city is bland and devoid of personality. A city the size of Charlotte should not have a 2-3 square block of NoDa be its personality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City