Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: A city that holds infinite promise?
Columbus 77 52.38%
Charlotte 70 47.62%
Voters: 147. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2010, 05:18 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,860,458 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beavercreek33 View Post
Thank you for once again, bringing down this thread. Really? Why would you resort to this, and not just send me a PM. LOL let me go back and quote it for you.

So sensitive.
No, YOU "brought the thread back down" because we had clearly moved on, yet you brought this stuff back up.

Quote:
Quote Number One:

Rudeboy21 is not a Charlottean. Next.

Quote:
Number Two:

Although you tried to mention good qualities about both cities, you still made Columbus look worse than Charlotte. You can sit there and say otherwise, but you kind of did. Opinion based yes, but not necessarily the truth. "Charlotte is more proactive and progressive than Columbus on several fronts."
How is it "attacking" to show the areas in which Charlotte is ahead of Columbus????? Charlotte has a higher GDP (with a lower city/metro population), more F500 companies, a busier airport, and light rail. Those are facts, and yes, this does demonstrate that Charlotte is more progressive than Columbus in those areas. What a friggin' stretch to call pointing out these facts an "attack." If you want to call that an "attack," then on the same grounds, this statement of yours is an "attack" as well:

To be honest, I would rather take Columbus's growth rate over Charlotte. Just because you will not experience that boom/bust. Charlotte sort of did that with this recession. Unemployment levels will show that. Smart and steady growth is the way to go.

Give me a BREAK.

Once again, no Charlotteans are attacking or badmouthing Columbus in this thread. If you are sensitive about the areas in which Columbus trails Charlotte, then that's your problem, especially when we are stating such as simple facts with no malicious intent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2010, 05:19 PM

631 posts, read 1,227,699 times
Quote:
Number Two:

Although you tried to mention good qualities about both cities, you still made Columbus look worse than Charlotte. You can sit there and say otherwise, but you kind of did. Opinion based yes, but not necessarily the truth. "Charlotte is more proactive and progressive than Columbus on several fronts."
Its called speaking the truth No one is not trying to down play Columbus. People are speaking the truth.

Old 01-20-2010, 05:23 PM

2,785 posts, read 6,629,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
No, YOU "brought the thread back down" because we had clearly moved on, yet you brought this stuff back up.

Rudboy21 is not a Charlottean. Next.

How is it "attacking" to show the areas in which Charlotte is ahead of Columbus????? Charlotte has a higher GDP (with a lower city/metro population), more F500 companies, a busier airport, and light rail. Those are facts, and yes, this does demonstrate that Charlotte is more progressive than Columbus in those areas. What a friggin' stretch. If you want to call that an "attack," then on the same grounds, this statement of yours is an "attack as well:

To be honest, I would rather take Columbus's growth rate over Charlotte. Just because you will not experience that boom/bust. Charlotte sort of did that with this recession. Unemployment levels will show that. Smart and steady growth is the way to go.

Give me a BREAK.
For crying out loud! Did you not read my first post!? I talked positive about BOTH Columbus and Charlotte. Did you get that, CHARLOTTE! You were the one who responded back to me about "where did I attack Columbus?" You were the one who started with me! Go back and read it, it is all there. You were the one who quoted my post. Not the other way around, and don't try to turn it that way. You could have easily have sent me a PM asking me why I thought the way I did. My first post stays on topic, while when you quoted mine, you started everything back up again.

Like I said, you can put it how you want, but you were trying to make Charlotte look better than Columbus in your one post. The OP wasn't really going for that when he originally made the thread, and mentioned that several times.

I see that the OP is trying to bring out the positives of two prosperous cities that are growing, and really don't get the national attention they deserve.

Old 01-20-2010, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RudeBoy21 View Post
Its called speaking the truth No one is not trying to down play Columbus. People are speaking the truth.
I am not saying "people" are downplaying Columbus. I just referred back to two posts. Thats all, nothing more. And like you say, no one is downplaying Columbus, but your comment seems otherwise. Just saying...

Old 01-20-2010, 05:28 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,801,231 times
Quote:
For crying out loud! Did you not read my first post!? I talked positive about BOTH Columbus and Charlotte. Did you get that, CHARLOTTE! You were the one who responded back to me about "where did I attack Columbus?" You were the one who started with me! Go back and read it, it is all there. You were the one who quoted my post. Not the other way around, and don't try to turn it that way. You could have easily have sent me a PM asking me why I thought the way I did. My first post stays on topic, while when you quoted mine, you started everything back up again.

Like I said, you can put it how you want, but you were trying to make Charlotte look better than Columbus in your one post. The OP wasn't really going for that when he originally made the thread, and mentioned that several times.

I see that the OP is trying to bring out the positives of two prosperous cities that are growing, and really don't get the national attention they deserve.
I can't speak directly for this member, but I would say that it's probably his opinion that Charlotte DOES look better than Columbus to him - that's why it came across that way. Most of us don't have to put down one city in order to compliment another, and this member is one of those people. He simply made statements that reflect his opinion without bad-mouthing the other city...and I see nothing wrong with that. The title of the thread is "Columbus or Charlotte?" and he likes Charlotte a little better. Case closed.

Old 01-20-2010, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
I can't speak directly for this member, but I would say that it's probably his opinion that Charlotte DOES look better than Columbus to him - that's why it came across that way. Most of us don't have to put down one city in order to compliment another, and this member is one of those people. He simply made statements that reflect his opinion without bad-mouthing the other city...and I see nothing wrong with that. The title of the thread is "Columbus or Charlotte?" and he likes Charlotte a little better. Case closed.
Thank you, I agree. I never said that opinion's were not tolerated. This site is meant for that.

The problem was though, instead of bringing up a topic through PM, they brought back up the topic trying to pin point it back on me in this very thread. I don't live in either city, but like I have stated, like both of them. They have great qualities. But to be accused of started something back up, in a post where I spoke highly of both cities is ridiculous.

Old 01-20-2010, 05:33 PM

631 posts, read 1,227,699 times
Quote:

Thats my whole thing and thanks for clearing that up
Charlotte just seem to be moving foward to the future and I see more things Happening for Charlotte than I do Columbus. and that shows in the Growth of Charlotte.

Old 01-20-2010, 05:38 PM

Quote:
PLEASE do not take this "innocent, virtuous, pious" position with me. You should have taken your own advice from the start and PM'd the people who you felt were slamming Columbus. Why put the impetus on us, yet you get a pass to call people out (and just because you didn't call anyone's name doesn't mean anything when you posted what they said)? Please quit with the hypocrisy. The fact of the matter is that we were over it 24 hours ago, clearly past everything, when you took it upon yourself to UNNECESSARILY resurrect the issue. Shame on you! And how can you say you spoke positively about both cities when you included this little dig on Charlotte: "To be honest, I would rather take Columbus's growth rate over Charlotte. Just because you will not experience that boom/bust. Charlotte sort of did that with this recession. Unemployment levels will show that. Smart and steady growth is the way to go." Yet you never spoke of something that you like better about Charlotte. I mean please, let's stop with the act! You're no more innocent here than you're accusing me of being!!!!!!

Quote:
Oh please; you're only sticking up for the guy because he's in your area. He clearly started down that path when he said, "I'm very well aware of the major hit that Charlotte has been dealt with the demise of the banking giants ... there's been alot of casualties ( job losses ) in Chlt. Still, Columbus is continuing to prosper and progress at a healthy pace." So again, spare me and quit with the hypocrisy. And again, when you have a thread with the title "Columbus or Charlotte?," you think there's not going to be mention of the areas in which one city is lacking relative to the other? That's not realistic, and there's no need to be sensitive about it as YOU clearly area. And again, you added to all of this when you mentioned an area where you felt as though Columbus was doing better than Charlotte. I don't have a problem with that, but you need to apply the same standard to yourself and stop being so biased.

Old 01-20-2010, 05:39 PM

Quote:
THANK you. And I clearly said that the areas in which Charlotte is ahead doesn't mean that Columbus is a worse or inferior city by any means. Some people only read what they want to read.

Old 01-20-2010, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
PLEASE do not take this "innocent, virtuous, pious" position with me. You should have taken your own advice from the start and PM'd the people who you felt were slamming Columbus. Why put the impetus on us, yet you get a pass to call people out (and just because you didn't call anyone's name doesn't mean anything when you posted what they said)? Please quit with the hypocrisy. The fact of the matter is that we were over it 24 hours ago, clearly past everything, when you took it upon yourself to UNNECESSARILY resurrect the issue. Shame on you!

Oh please; you're only sticking up for the guy because he's in your area. He clearly started down that path when he said, "I'm very well aware of the major hit that Charlotte has been dealt with the demise of the banking giants ... there's been alot of casualties ( job losses ) in Chlt. Still, Columbus is continuing to prosper and progress at a healthy pace." So again, spare me and quit with the hypocrisy. And again, when you have a thread with the title "Columbus or Charlotte?," you think there's not going to be mention of the areas in which one city is lacking relative to the other? That's not realistic, and there's no need to be sensitive about it as YOU clearly area. And again, you added to all of this when you mentioned an area where you felt as though Columbus was doing better than Charlotte. I don't have a problem with that, but you need to apply the same standard to yourself and stop being so biased.
LOL "Some people only read what they want to." The pot calling the kettle black right there.

In my area? Read my post! I am originally from Philly, now living in Dayton. A completely different metro area than Columbus. Sorry, don't jump to assumptions.

I am not playing the "innocent" one here. You are just upset with the fact of some of the things I said.

Ok, you keep brining up that fact that it had been well over, and 24 hours passed and everything was alright. Guess what, I just looked at the forum, this thread in particular, and pin pointed out what you happened to say. Whether you like it or not, thats what happened. I didn't mean anything so god forsakingly terrible about it. It wasn't like I was trying to cause an arguement. That is exactly what you did with me. Like you said, "everything was over", so why not send me a PM? It was over right, so why wouldn't you keep it over? I was the one who just started reading the thread and gave my insight. There were no other intentions meant by it.

You are also making it seem like I made Charlotte sound like this terrible place, when in my very first post I talked about great qualities of both. Since moving to Ohio, I have been to Columbus more on business, so I know more about the city, that is why I spoke highly of it in my post. But you will also notice I mentioned the great qualities of Charlotte and their light rail system, great diverse economy, and more. At the end, I said both cities have great and prosperous futures.

Please don't sit there and say I don't read "all" of your posts, when it seems like you are doing that with mine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City