Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2013, 02:09 PM

3 posts, read 7,478 times

Advertisements

I appreciate you taking the time. I know this is a common match up, and I’ve done some research. I would just enjoy some opinions regarding my situation. I’ve just returned from traveling abroad and I’m looking to “settle down” (even tho that scares me) in a cool and interesting area…by that I mean friendly/creative/artistic people, unique architecture, museums, sense of community…and I do stress community. I want a place I feel I belong and can stand behind, with lots of activities.

About me, I’m 25 and have a bachelor in psychology with a minor in business, with experience as an assistant manager of a local small business…thought about grad school but I’m not sure. I’m laid back, easy going, left politically, have a few tattoos (just saying), and work well but don’t live to work. My job will not own me. I like being low key, and don’t buy into what other “think” I need to have. I’m a very active person with hobbies of painting, music, recording music, biking, and I really want to start paddle boarding/SUP. Also I love old/indie movies, and discussing them. Lived in LA, Oakland, and now Kansas City.

Basically, what city is more open to outsiders. I want to get involved in the community, and will probably be moving WITHOUT a job lined up. I’ve got a few connections in each city, but you never know. Is the seattle freeze, for a friendly 25 y/o really going to be an issue? I’ve also heard in Austin, people don’t really ask what you do (job wise) more about what are your hobbies. And I really like that. I know I have a lot of interests as college students, but don’t really want to surround myself with them.

Now, I’ve been to Austin over a couple weekends. 6th street bars, Zilker park, a couple shows at UT. It was fun, however it does feel Austin would get small quick and/or the bar scene would get old after a while. Traffic is bad, but also my other reservations are it’s still Texas. And the thought, I’ve traveled a lot fo the world..and I’m going to settle in Texas?!?! That whole Texas pride they show is just something else, and not too much to do outside of Austin, besides Big Ben. Not many museums either. It’s live music capital of the world, and that’s a plus, but also a giant college town. Good and bad…but perfect for socializing.

I will be visiting Seattle in the next couple of weeks, and don’t know as much about Seattle as Austin. Seattle being more urban is a plus. And possible I wouldn’t need to always have a car everyday and could bike. I’ve always figured eventually, I’d settle in the PNW, maybe that was just a by-product of growing up watching the Goonies. But also Vancouver is near, the ocean, and everything that comes with that…just seems more impressive visually then Austin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2013, 02:51 AM

2,985 posts, read 4,887,965 times
Seattle makes LA look like a slum in comparison and Texas is worse than Southern Cali in my opinion. Therefore, my endorsement of Seattle goes without saying.

Old 09-17-2013, 08:35 AM

390 posts, read 941,462 times
About half the country is seemingly moving to Seattle, and the traffic was already bad. Wow.

Old 09-17-2013, 08:59 AM

10,754 posts, read 23,832,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tor_Nado View Post
About half the country is seemingly moving to Seattle, and the traffic was already bad. Wow.
150 million people are moving to Seattle? Wow is right! I can only imagine the traffic must be very bad!

Old 09-17-2013, 09:43 AM

390 posts, read 941,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
150 million people are moving to Seattle? Wow is right! I can only imagine the traffic must be very bad!
I don't think you detect sarcasm very well. Seattle is one of the fastest growing cities in America and if you read any of the posts on City Data forum, Seattle is mentioned in many of them.

Old 09-17-2013, 10:42 AM

10,754 posts, read 23,832,257 times
Quote:
I don't think you detect sarcasm very well. Seattle is one of the fastest growing cities in America and if you read any of the posts on City Data forum, Seattle is mentioned in many of them.
I don't think you detected me playing on your sarcasm very well.

I lived in Seattle for 5 years (hence my alias), I know that it's growing like a weed. Moveover Tokyo and Sao Paulo. Although a metro area of 150 million would be something, eh.... (actually that sounds rather disgusting).

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 09-17-2013 at 11:14 AM..

Old 09-17-2013, 07:06 PM

3 posts, read 7,478 times
Gotta love sarcasm . Thanks for the responses. I have to agree with LA and Austin as not being as beautiful cities, compared to SF and Seattle. Are the people beautiful too? haha. People in Austin were friendly..

Old 09-17-2013, 08:37 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,696,594 times
Seattle.

Old 09-19-2013, 12:10 PM

1,795 posts, read 3,168,684 times
Quote:
The same could be said about Austin. Either way you can't go wrong with both cities.

Old 09-19-2013, 12:42 PM

189 posts, read 362,468 times
Seattle. West Coast is the Best Coast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City