Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2013, 01:28 PM

739 posts, read 1,188,699 times

Advertisements

I've notice over my few years here on City-Data, that many cities of the sunbelt generates a lot of contempt because of the way the city and metro areas are built (i.e sprawled).

However, I've hardly seen negative comments regarding living in densely populated areas. While I know and understand that it is very convenient to be able to walk to shopping, eateries, bookshops, etc., and commute via mass transit, but it can't be all glorious living and commuting constantly on top of each other or having to pay disproportionately high rent/house payments for such small square footage, crammed next to your neighbor.....

There's both positive and negative elements regarding both of these types of cities... isn't it???

Old 09-18-2013, 01:31 PM

1,108 posts, read 2,287,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Palm View Post
I've notice over my few years here on City-Data, that many cities of the sunbelt generates a lot of contempt because of the way the city and metro areas are built (i.e sprawled).

However, I've hardly seen negative comments regarding living in densely populated areas. While I know and understand that it is very convenient to be able to walk to shopping, eateries, bookshops, etc., and commute via mass transit, but it can't be all glorious living and commuting constantly on top of each other or having to pay disproportionately high rent/house payments for such small square footage, crammed next to your neighbor.....

There's both positive and negative elements regarding both of these types of cities... isn't it???
Check out the Urban Planning forum for a lot of threads that delve into this always contentious (and interesting) topic.

Old 09-18-2013, 01:33 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,941,037 times
Quote:

However, I hardly ever have seen negative comments regarding living in densely populated areas. While I know and understand that it is very convenient to be able to walk to shopping, eateries, bookshops, and commute via mass transit, etc. it can't be all glorious living and commuting constantly on top of each other or having to pay disproportionately high rent/house payments for such small square footage, crammed next to your neighbor.....

This is my thoughts on this

The ability to live in more "sprawled areas" is not limited to any city - meaning one can live in non highly dense areas in metro area. The differenece to me is choice that they offer and that there are certain types of city living not avaialble in all cities. Not everyone will like dense neighborhoods and there absolutely draw backs to them and positives but to me the lack of choice is the delineator

For example there is really no place like say Rittenhouse Sq in Houston or Atlanta (especially with any continuuty of development and to me overlall lifestyle) while NYC, Boston, or SF would offer the same type of environement.

Remember that most people in any metro dont live at uber dense levels, just the option doesnt always exist to do so with that particular lifestyle

Old 09-18-2013, 01:47 PM

739 posts, read 1,188,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
This is my thoughts on this

The ability to live in more "sprawled areas" is not limited to any city - meaning one can live in non highly dense areas in metro area. The differenece to me is choice that they offer and that there are certain types of city living not avaialble in all cities. Not everyone will like dense neighborhoods and there absolutely draw backs to them and positives but to me the lack of choice is the delineator

For example there is really no place like say Rittenhouse Sq in Houston or Atlanta (especially with any continuuty of development and to me overlall lifestyle) while NYC, Boston, or SF would offer the same type of environement.

Remember that most people in any metro dont live at uber dense levels, just the option doesnt always exist to do so with that particular lifestyle
yeaah, but on the General and City vs. City boards, so-called "sprawled" cities are perceived as the bane of living/lifestyle existance. There isn't a balance of good and bad brought out in BOTH regions [regarding cities in the south/sunbelt (sprawl) vs cities in the northeast and midwest (dense)].....

Old 09-18-2013, 01:52 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,213,227 times
Both have positives and negatives. Look at LA. It's nice to have your own house (for cheaper than NYC, mind you) with a yard, garden, and not have to be crowded and smushed together on the sidewalk, in the store, in an elevator. you can drive and have your freedom. But you HAVE to drive all the time to get somewhere, and be smushed on the freeways in traffic. In NYC, you don't have to drive, and you can walk everywhere or take the subway. But as a result, everything is dirtier, more expensive and crammed together. You have a smaller space to live for more expensive.

Old 09-18-2013, 01:54 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,941,037 times
Quote:
yeaah, but on the General and City vs. City boards, so-called "sprawled" cities are perceived as the bane of living/lifestyle existance. There isn't a balance of good and bad brought out in BOTH regions [regarding cities in the south/sunbelt (sprawl) vs cities in the northeast and midwest (dense)].....
Fair but again to me for a true urban lover many of these cities dont have the desired environment, a certain lifestyle that doesnt exist. Is that good or bad, that is in the eye of the beholder. To me it does detract from the city experience. And I do think many people who have never lived it dont fully understand the difference

Old 09-18-2013, 02:02 PM

484 posts, read 883,158 times
I think sprawl gets a bad rap for several reasons. First of all, the use of cars as opposed to public transit and walking produces much more pollution. Second of all, if you're building low density housing you tear down a lot of trees to house an insignificant amount of people. Lastly, the commute of those who reside in sprawl is hell. I know people that drive 40 plus miles to work.

Old 09-18-2013, 02:13 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,524,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Fair but again to me for a true urban lover many of these cities dont have the desired environment, a certain lifestyle that doesnt exist. Is that good or bad, that is in the eye of the beholder. To me it does detract from the city experience. And I do think many people who have never lived it dont fully understand the difference
Yeah as cool, cheap, often better weather and amenity packed as those cities are, it's just a non starter for some of us. If there would have been a big metropolis walkable city in the southeast or Florida, I probably would have never left.

Old 09-18-2013, 02:17 PM

32,113 posts, read 34,739,914 times
One advantage of density...

I cornered a mouse in my house once. Got a broom handle and held it directly over the mouse. The mouse looked up at me as if to say, "No, please. Don't! I want to live!" And its eyes got really beady and sad looking. Then I smashed it over its head. And I did it again. And again. And again. Its blood spilled all over the floor. It was awesome!

Living in a low density environment, you probably have fewer opportunities to smash mice.

Sociopathic tendencies apparently die hard...

Old 09-18-2013, 02:19 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,213,227 times
Ewwww!
Living in sprawl you have fewer mice to deal with, probably.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City