Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city would you rather live in?
NYC 60 61.22%
Washington D.C. 38 38.78%
Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 07:54 AM

244 posts, read 625,742 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I wanted to start a thread comparing NYC to Washington D.C. metro area. I am looking at the following factors:

1. Cost of living
2. Job opportunities
3. Diversity ( I mean people from many different countries - not race)
4. Women (ease of hooking up, dating, prettiness)
5. Things to do
6. Nightlife
7. Public Transporation
8. Future growth
9. Finally, whcih city would you rather live in?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2010, 08:05 AM

7,055 posts, read 19,302,450 times
1. Cost of living. Both suck.
2. Job opportunities. Both are great.
3. Diversity ( I mean people from many different countries - not race). Both are great, but NYC has greater representation from each country in the world.
4. Women (ease of hooking up, dating, prettiness). IDK, women aren't my thing
5. Things to do. Both have almost endless lists of things to do.
6. Nightlife. Both are great, with an edge to NYC
7. Public Transporation. Both are great, with an edge to NYC
8. Future growth. Both will have lots of it.
9. Finally, whcih city would you rather live in? NYC, but I could live in DC too.

Old 01-18-2010, 09:12 AM

457 posts, read 1,108,737 times
In some sense, these two are hard to compare since NYC is so much larger. Of course, NYC is going to have more options in nearly every area. On a per-capita basis, I would say DC stacks up pretty well.

In terms of the actual city, I would say the advantage would go to NYC. During the period of urban decline (50s-80s), DC fell far further than NYC ever did. The city was also probably 10-15 years later in turning around. It still has a good deal of crime, underdeveloped lots, etc. Its made enormous progress in the past 10 years, but it still has a way to go.

1. Cost of living- Both are expensive, but advantage DC.
2. Job opportunities- NYC has wider range of fields, but DC has lots of jobs that can only be done in DC. In general, DC has a better job market right now.
3. Diversity ( I mean people from many different countries - not race)- NYC is more international, particularly when it comes to the city.
4. Women (ease of hooking up, dating, prettiness)- don't know that one really has an advantage.
5. Things to do- Obviously, NYC. But, DC has lots of free events/museums.
6. Nightlife- Both have good options. Obviously, NYC has dramatically more options.
7. Public Transportation- NYC has a more extensive system and better coverage. However, DC's system is nicer/less crowded/less of a hassle (in general) to ride.
8. Future growth- DC (the MSA) will see far more growth in percentage terms. Although, NYC will see massive growth in absolute terms do to its larger base.
9. Finally, which city would you rather live in?
I would like to live in NYC for a few years, but I am sure I would get sick of it after a while.

Old 01-18-2010, 09:59 AM

1,750 posts, read 3,390,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbhaskar002r View Post
Hello,

I wanted to start a thread comparing NYC to Washington D.C. metro area. I am looking at the following factors:

1. Cost of living
2. Job opportunities
3. Diversity ( I mean people from many different countries - not race)
4. Women (ease of hooking up, dating, prettiness)
5. Things to do
6. Nightlife
7. Public Transporation
8. Future growth
9. Finally, whcih city would you rather live in?
I lived in NYC for a few years, and currently live in DC, so my experience is:

1. Both expensive as hell, but DC is slightly less expensive

2. Depends on your field, for me, it was DC (reason I moved here), DC is probably the best in the country right now.

3. Both are diverse, but NYC wins hands down

4. NYC woman are far more attractive than DC woman, imo, (except for the Hot Moms in Bethesda!). Edge, NYC

5. you wont be bored in either. Tie.

6. NYC hands down. DC nightlife is good though.

7. NYC Subway is on another level, but the DC metro is great too (kinda expensive). Edge, NYC

8. DC is growing at a faster rate than NYC (especially the metro area). Edge, DC

9. Ive enjoyed my time so far in DC, but if the opportunity came up, I would move back to NYC.

Old 01-18-2010, 11:54 AM

244 posts, read 625,742 times
Just 3 replies? BTW how do I edit (for the typo) and bold my title?

Old 01-18-2010, 12:11 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,455,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbhaskar002r View Post
Just 3 replies? BTW how do I edit (for the typo) and bold my title?
The option to edit is gone after a certain amount of time...I think it's 30 minutes. This is the only website that I've been on that has this option...I'd prefer it if they would allow you to edit at any point in time, like everywhere else.

Anyways..

1. Cost of living: As it has been said prior to my post, both are very expensive...but NYC is more expensive.

2. Job opportunities: again, as it has been said before it depends on what field you're looking for. I'm in financial services so NYC is better for my particular sector.

3. Diversity ( I mean people from many different countries - not race): NYC...and I would think by a pretty wide margin too.

4. Women (ease of hooking up, dating, prettiness): I would think New York City would take this one if for no other reason than raw numbers. Pretty gals moving from Podunk, Kansas go to the big city to make it big...not the nation's capital. I'm sure there's plenty of pretty girls in DC too.

5. Things to do: I'm sure there's plenty to do in DC...but c'mon, we're putting it up against NYC.

6. Nightlife: See #5

7. Public Transporation: The DC Metro is very good...easily a top 5 system in the United States. However New York City has far-and-away the best mass transit in the nation, easily a Top 10 system in the world, and arguably a Top 5 system in the world.

8. Future growth: By %, DC will grow more. By raw numbers, NYC

9. Finally, whcih city would you rather live in?: New York City...easily. I wouldn't mind living in DC though.

In the end, Washington DC is a fantastic city nearly across the board...but it just can't stack up to one of the world's Big 4 cities (New York + London, Paris, and Tokyo).

Old 01-18-2010, 01:08 PM

155 posts, read 196,868 times
New York by far, plus its Northeast location alone makes it more appealing.

Old 01-18-2010, 01:42 PM

736 posts, read 2,295,032 times
I have lived in BOTH cities and I think PRELUDE91 summarized the key points very well.

I would add the following observations. The difficulty in comparing the two places is the sheer size of NYC as compared to DC (both city proper and metro area). Hands down I think NYC is the more interesting place (though DC has much to offer).

There is simply no city quite like NYC (esp. Manhattan) in the USA esp. with regards to density and intensity. Think Tokyo or London.

That is NOT to say I'd want to live in NYC again. I grew up in LA and I'll take the So.Calif. weather/lifestyle over NYC anyday. That said, to roam around Manhattan and explore the many and exciting urban districts is like a day in heaven for an architecture buff like me. Yes, DC is great for architecture too but nothing is quite as MIND BENDING an urban experience as NYC.

If I had to choose I'd live in NYC over DC.

Old 01-18-2010, 01:53 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,204,320 times
The women in DC on average look much better than NYC women.

Old 01-18-2010, 01:54 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,803,714 times
Washington D.C. by far, plus it's southeastern location alone makes it more appealing.

This is a difficult comparison between two very different cities. It's hard to compare NYC to any American city because it's so massive and offers pretty much everything for everybody. There is no other U.S. city quite like NYC...although, having visited both several times, I would prefer to live in D.C. if given a choice between the two.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City