Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2010, 01:26 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,409,881 times

Advertisements

Fast (paced) - New York
Slow (paced) - Nebraska
Rich - California
Poor - West Virginia
Beautiful - Alaska
Ugly - Alabama
Exciting - Colorado
Boring - Georgia
Unique - Michigan
Bland - Indiana
Expensive - Massachusetts
Cheap - South Dakota
Green - Oregon
Barren - Arizona
Cold - Minnesota
Hot - Florida
Ideal - North Dakota
Smart - Washington
Dumb - Mississippi
Urban - New Jersey
Rural - Montana
Mountains - Idaho
Plains - Kansas
Ocean - Hawaii
Landlocked - Missouri
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2010, 01:31 PM

4,194 posts, read 11,689,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
I guess a lot of adults don't find it as exciting as kids/teens. I've been all over Florida countless times, so the excitement wore off really fast. It is flat compared to most states. It's kind of boring flying to south Florida when you're flying through the state, because you can sense how flat it is from the sky.
FL is exciting for kids and adults..

this is a game, no need to criticize other peoples opinions.

Old 02-12-2010, 01:39 PM

4,194 posts, read 11,689,173 times
Fast (paced) - New York
Slow (paced) - Montana
Rich - California
Poor - Mississippi
Beautiful - Washington
Ugly - Wisconsin
Exciting - Florida
Boring - Alabama
Unique - Hawaii
Bland - Indiana
Expensive - California
Cheap - South Dakota
Green - Hawaii
Barren - New Mexico
Cold - Alaska
Hot - Florida
Ideal - Georgia
Smart - Washington
Dumb - Mississippi
Urban - New York
Rural - Montana
Mountains - Idaho
Plains - Kansas
Ocean - Hawaii
Landlocked - Kansas.

Old 02-12-2010, 01:57 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,409,881 times
Various - Michigan
Monochrome - New Jersey
Historic - Vermont
Modern - Arizona

Rock - Michigan
Country - Alabama
Hip-hop - California
Electronic music - New York
Classical music - Connecticut
Soul - Georgia
Blues - Mississippi
Bluegrass - Kentucky
Indie - Oregon
Pop - Nevada

Old 02-13-2010, 06:39 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,655,649 times
Default I second my daughter's opinion of Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by BergenCountyJohnny View Post
Again, it comes down to tastes and preferences, but your generalization that Florida's more exciting for kids than adults doesn't hold true as I'm much older than you and I find it exciting while you don't.

The nightlife in Florida is some of the best in the nation - Tampa, Miami, even Fort Lauderdale, West Palm, Orlando, Jacksonville are great for dining and nightlife. The beaches offer tons of excitement, from surfing to boating to fishing to sunbathing. They have serene, peaceful, natural beaches and beaches with bars and partying on them. The weather is usually conducive to all sorts of outdoor activities. They have citrus groves that are fun to visit, there is plenty of history and many attractions from theme parks to museums and the arts. There are unique places like Key West and St. Augustine, and plenty of resorts in places like Captiva, Singer Island, etc... Many beaches in Southeastern Florida are essentially the same as what you find in the Bahamas, which is about 70 miles offshore, and people pay a lot to experience that but Floridians have it at their disposal.

Yes, it's flat - so what? So is Long Island. So are parts of NJ. So are many parts of the nation, like many deserts and like Las Vegas (which is in a flat valley, surrounded by some mountains). But Florida's "flat" is a lot different from the "flat" of Nebraska, Iowa, etc.

There's a very, very good and real reason why people spend lots of money and use their vacation time to go and even take the whole family to Florida and not to a lot of other places - it is a fun place and there is excitement of all kinds to be found throughout the state.
Unfortunately, I live here.

Old 02-13-2010, 07:57 PM

648 posts, read 1,617,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by machiavelli1 View Post
Exactly! Now you get it

And if you could read, you would see that I said "public" universites. UT Austin and TAMU are far superior to anything in the SUNY system and are not too much behind the privates you mention

I have met alot of people that think NY'ers are dumb too so you don't want to go there
Columbia and Cornell are Ivy League. No college in Texas touches them academically.

And I do want to go there. You live in the south and yet you know people who think our education is subpar? Maybe this is a good example of the poor education that the people you know have.

Old 02-14-2010, 10:54 AM

7,943 posts, read 17,247,259 times
Fast (paced)- California
Slow (paced)- Louisiana
Rich- California
Poor- Mississippi
Beautiful- Colorado
Ugly- Kansas
Exciting- New York
Boring- Arkansas
Unique- New York
Bland- Kansas
Expensive- California
Cheap- Texas
Green- Virginia
Barren- Nevada
Cold- Minnesota
Hot- Arizona
Ideal- New York
Smart- California
Dumb- Arkansas
Urban- New York
Rural- Arkansas
Mountains- Colorado
Plains- Kansas
Ocean- Florida
Landlocked- Colorado

Old 02-14-2010, 10:33 PM

1,080 posts, read 2,268,463 times
Fast (paced)-Downtown Minneapolis
Slow (paced)-Hinkley
Rich-Edina
Poor-Brooklyn Center
Beautiful-Duluth
Ugly-Metrodome
Exciting-new Twins stadium
Boring-North Branch
Unique-10,000 Lakes
Bland- Woodbury
Expensive-Wayazata
Cheap- the Twins
Green-the Boundry Waters
Barren-The Western Half of the State
Cold- International Falls
Hot- Haha, Funny Joke
Ideal- Autumn
Smart-Anyone who leaves for the Winter
Dumb-Green Bay Packer Fans
Urban-Uptown Minneapolis
Rural- Hallock
Mountains- Hey, Another Joke!
Plains- Everywhere
Ocean- Lake Superior
Landlocked- Morehead

I know, nothing matters outside of Minnesota.

Old 02-15-2010, 02:24 AM

17,778 posts, read 13,673,847 times
It's interesting to see the different perceptions of states that seem way far off to me.

Here in Oklahoma we got votes for "bland", "barren" and "plains" when in fact we have more ecoregions than any other state except for Alaska, California and we are tied with Texas on some lists (in others Texas has one more). There are only 4 states that have 10 or more ecoregions.

Ecoregions are probably the most scientifically plausible way to determine actual diversity of terrain, flora, fauna, and climate. That should take us out of the "bland" and "barren" catagories. According to the EPA Oklahoma is #1 in ecoregions per square mile.

I have to admit though that the largest ecoregion we have out of the 12 is the "plains" one.

http://www.travelok.com/article_page...erseecoregions

Old 02-15-2010, 07:13 AM

4,085 posts, read 8,784,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
Unfortunately, I live here.
That's fine that you don't like it there, you're certainly entitled to your own preferences and tastes. You're just going to have a hard time convincing me that it's not exciting. I've been there, and I happen to like a lot of what Florida has to offer. So do a lot of people. That's why people pay to vacation there, have a second home there, or retire there.

Just saying "it's flat" doesn't say much. I gave details and reasons why Florida is fun and exciting, but you and your daughter only say "it's flat" (so is Long Island, by the way, so I'm not sure how much I believe that one) and you don't like it. It's just your own prejudices, really.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City