Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which state has better food?
California 225 71.43%
Georgia 90 28.57%
Voters: 315. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 09:05 PM

2,957 posts, read 6,471,435 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifeshadower View Post
As a Californian, I'll say this:

"I like food" California, Georgia..there's good food in both. Why restrict yourselves? I thought food was supposed to bring us closer together, not pry us apart?

Tell you what; give me some of that down-home cooked Southern food and I'll cook up some tasty Californian food (whatever that is?) and we can both enjoy.
I second all of this!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2010, 09:09 PM

1,854 posts, read 4,919,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Well we're lucky Georgia isn't in a tundra are we?

Cali may offer more variety, but more doesn't always mean better.
More variety is not better? This is crazy! What does mean better?

Besides authentic southern food, an example of an area Georgia dominates in has not been presented.

Old 01-21-2010, 09:10 PM

4,230 posts, read 10,480,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhymes with Best Coast View Post
Quantity, quality (freshness), and variety. At all levels, California excels. Not sure why you all are trying to simplify the argument to "quantity only."

For instance, assume San Diego is the equivalent of Atlanta, even though it is over twice its size. Then you would have San Francisco and Los Angeles to deal with. San Francisco the equivalent to NYC as a foodie town in many eyes. Then we have Los Angeles, an alpha level city with every type of cuisine on earth imaginable.

Top this off with several of the top wine producing regions on Earth. Where is the comparison?

And I'm trying hard to be as respectful as possible.
Have you noticed that I haven't claimed one to be any better than the other? I'm arguing the point that the same thing can be found anywhere almost. I don't know why you all are even arguing on which is better when it is all subjective.

To be real though, just because there are more options of something doesn't mean that the best of each option is represented.

Old 01-21-2010, 09:11 PM

4,230 posts, read 10,480,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDX_LAX View Post
More variety is not better? This is crazy! What does mean better?

Besides authentic southern food, an example of an area Georgia dominates in has not been presented.
Ok, on side A we have 10 so-so chefs from 10 different countries. On side B we have one top chef.

Which is better?

^example.. not comparing GA or CA

Old 01-21-2010, 09:13 PM

2,943 posts, read 5,070,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cart24 View Post
I agree that it is not even close.

California:

Longer growing season than Georgia (The Nations agriculture powerhouse)
No cities in Georgia have a Michelin Guide, two in California do (SF and LA)
Home to the nations finest wine producing regions
Pacific Ocean for fresh seafood
Direct Link to Tsukiji Fish Market in Japan
Greater Ethnic Diversity

From personal experience I can say San Francisco is actually one of my favorite cities to eat on earth and tied for favorite in America with NYC.
LA doesn't have a Michelin Guide, there's only NYC and SF/Wine Country.

Old 01-21-2010, 09:14 PM

1,854 posts, read 4,919,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
Ok, on side A we have 10 so-so chefs from 10 different countries. On side B we have a top chef.

Which is better?

^example.. not comparing GA or CA
Better example, which is better:

10 top chefs from 10 different countries.

or

a top chef.

Old 01-21-2010, 09:15 PM

2,943 posts, read 5,070,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
That is not true due to climate. Almost everything edible can be grown in California but not in other parts of the nation. There's no commercial market in Georgia for many of the items grown in California because the climate in Georgia and Florida can not produce these crops. BTW, California is the largest rice producer & grows more cotton than any other Southern state. Even peaches and other pit fruits are grown in California more than any other state. Artichokes can not be grown successfully outside California & the Mediterranean. California produces more food for the world than anywhere else in the world.

The California diet emphasizes fresh and organic foods. Fried foods are shunned.
Not true. Any place with a Mediterranean climate can grow them as well, this includes South Africa and New Zealand.

Old 01-21-2010, 09:17 PM

2,561 posts, read 5,810,674 times
I really like the KFC next to Ralphs on Lido Island..the best food ever..KFC.Taco Bell in Laguna Beach on PCH across from Holiday Inn is tremendous..just ask for the white Boy Special without the white boy sauce

672 posts, read 1,788,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacobeclark View Post
Amazon.com: Michelin Guide 2009 Los Angeles (Michelin Guide Los Angeles) (Michelin Guide Los Angeles) (Michelin Los Angeles Resturants & Hotels) (9782067137080): Michelin Travel Publications: Books

nuff said.

793 posts, read 1,452,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacobeclark View Post
Yes they do, since 08
Welcome to the Michelin Guide (http://www.michelinguide.com/us/stars_la08.html - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City