Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which state has better food?
California 225 71.43%
Georgia 90 28.57%
Voters: 315. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 10:07 AM

2,531 posts, read 6,221,170 times

Advertisements

Cali has more fresh produce and better seafood.

If you like southern food, Georgia of course.

However, I've been on a diet plan/lifestyle change for the last 9 months and have lost about 80 lbs or so right here in Georgia. In other words, you can still eat healthy down here if you want too. Plenty of farmers markets/Whole Foods, etc at least in Metro Atlanta.

As for Cali, you can find unhealthy food out there too. It is home to the divine In-N-Out burger after all. And Rubio's Fish Taco. I can't find a good fish taco here in Georgia to save my life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2010, 10:18 AM

5,092 posts, read 8,800,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
Yeah but how often do we eat pizza and hot dogs? Maybe once every couple weeks. A lot of food is considered southern food. A lot of it is fried. That's the worst way to cook. After spending some time overseas, I came back and we had fried food and it made me sick since I wasn't used to it.

CA food vs. GA food is like 2 opposite ends of the food spectrum.
only a percentage of southern cooking is fried. most of it is not

at the same time, many many southern dishes are quite nutritious and contain many essential vitamins

also, there is such a thing vegetarian southern cooking. you just dont hear about it because of the more popular stereotypical foods

Old 01-21-2010, 10:20 AM

2,943 posts, read 5,040,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustCallMeTC View Post
With the fruits, vegetables and abundance of fresh seafood, this is a no brainer. CA, and it's not close.
You and others seem to be echoing the same tired stereotypes about each state without giving the question any real thought. You're aware that Georgia is on the Atlantic Ocean, right? That means they're going to have access to fresh seafood, just like any coastal state will. Georgia also has a very long growing season of its own, not to mention it borders Florida, the #2 producer of fruits and vegetables in the US.

I voted for Georgia. Southern cuisine is a fusion of so many different cultures, British, French, Spanish, African, Cajun, Creole, Caribbean, and even Indian.

Old 01-21-2010, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacobeclark View Post
You and others seem to be echoing the same tired stereotypes about each state without giving the question any real thought. You're aware that Georgia is on the Atlantic Ocean, right? That means they're going to have access to fresh seafood, just like any coastal state will. Georgia also has a very long growing season of its own, not to mention it borders Florida, the #2 producer of fruits and vegetables in the US.

I voted for Georgia. Southern cuisine is a fusion of so many different cultures, British, French, Spanish, African, Cajun, Creole, Caribbean, and even Indian.
thank you. i'll take fresh georgia peaches over anything grown in california anyday lol

Old 01-21-2010, 10:29 AM

4,194 posts, read 11,639,175 times
Quote:

exactly. this whole forum is filled with people who only base there statements on stereotypes, its actually real annoying Its like they're living in some fantasy world.

Old 01-21-2010, 10:49 AM

Quote:

Speak for yourself. I know that Georgia is on the Atlantic Ocean. And that it borders Florida, which had nothing to do with this conversation. Thanks for the unwarranted geography lesson though. I love the lowcountry cuisine that I can get here as well.

I'm not denying that Georgia has fresh vegetables either. I mentioned that there are many farmers markets throughout the state where you can get said vegetables. I still think that there is more of a variety of the more exotic types of vegetables and fruits in Cali moreso than you can get them in Georgia. Not saying that there are none whatsoever. I cook with fresh vegetables all the time. I just cooked some sauteed kale and asparagus with scallions and garlic last night. Right here in Georgia!

Old 01-21-2010, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grindin View Post
Speak for yourself. I know that Georgia is on the Atlantic Ocean. And that it borders Florida, which had nothing to do with this conversation. Thanks for the unwarranted geography lesson though. I love the lowcountry cuisine that I can get here as well.

I'm not denying that Georgia has fresh vegetables either. I mentioned that there are many farmers markets throughout the state where you can get said vegetables. I still think that there is more of a variety of the more exotic types of vegetables and fruits in Cali moreso than you can get them in Georgia. Not saying that there are none whatsoever. I cook with fresh vegetables all the time. I just cooked some sauteed kale and asparagus with scallions and garlic last night. Right here in Georgia!
that ain't food! lol

Old 01-21-2010, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
that ain't food! lol
LMAO, It is when you're trying to lose a large amount of weight like I am. Ever since I've been really into high-fiber, low carb foods, I've had to learn how to expand my palate and start eating vegetables that I might have never eaten before.

I had it with broiled chicken and lentils to fill up.

Old 01-21-2010, 11:05 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,583,506 times
Quote:
As for Cali, you can find unhealthy food out there too. It is home to the divine In-N-Out burger after all. And Rubio's Fish Taco. I can't find a good fish taco here in Georgia to save my life.
I never really liked In-N-Out. I miss Fatburger like crazy!

I do miss Rubio's Fish Tacos too. I also miss El Pollo Loco's BBQ beans.

But other than that, Dallas has almost every offering you can get in LA. Im sure Atlanta does too.

Old 01-21-2010, 11:08 AM

1,325 posts, read 2,631,353 times
Quote:
Cali has more fresh produce and better seafood.

If you like southern food, Georgia of course.

However, I've been on a diet plan/lifestyle change for the last 9 months and have lost about 80 lbs or so right here in Georgia. In other words, you can still eat healthy down here if you want too. Plenty of farmers markets/Whole Foods, etc at least in Metro Atlanta.

Have you tried La Fonda's fish tacos? If not, you should give them a try.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City