Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which state has better food?
California 225 71.43%
Georgia 90 28.57%
Voters: 315. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 10:03 PM

2,943 posts, read 5,071,664 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cart24 View Post
You can get anything, anywhere....but we are debating the selection and quality. You can get decent Chinese cuisine in Atlanta, but do you think it compares to the selection of regional chinese cooking, markets and groceries in San Francisco? and this example extends much further than just Chinese Food.

The only way you could argue this is if you have never spent time eating in both states extensively, which I suspect is your case.
I don't believe that you've spent much time eating in BOTH states either. So what? I have been to both Socal and ATL, but I was very young in both instances, so I'm not going to pretend to be an expert like the rest of you are. I simply take issue with this crazy notion that food in CA is so much better than any place else. BS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2010, 10:05 PM

2,368 posts, read 5,103,988 times
Georgian cuisine is way too greasy for my taste, give me Calimex any day :P As long as there's none of that vegan crap tossed in it!

Old 01-21-2010, 10:06 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,634,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhymes with Best Coast View Post
Perhaps I'm in my own world then. Here in downtown SF, there's three farmers markets within walking distance to me. The market at the ferry building is among the best in the world.

I'm just used to getting stuff with the morning's dew on it. Not everyone is used to this, nor do I think everyone should be. I will testify to the quality, quantity, and variety that I have easy access to. And it's not even that expensive since shipping costs are extremely minimal.

But that's just me.
There are farmers markets everywhere in CA and across the nation. I get what you're saying about how there can be some really good ones in CA with locally grown produce but to tout CA's agriculture industry while ignoring it's ugly side I think is a bit off.

I honestly think some people just buy into the hype the crap they read in publications and think whatever they are getting at some farmers market in CA is the best of the best, which it may be but it may not as well. People just feed off each others hype here too much. CA is great when it comes to food but it's not the end all be all.

Old 01-21-2010, 10:28 PM

221 posts, read 797,933 times
California also has a lot more artisan-style small batch food producers that eschew preservatives or chemicals.

Annie's, Mezzetta's, etc...

There just seems to be a lot more locally produced, wholesome food avalable in CA than georgia, and a lot more people interested in that kind of things

Last edited by erin3465; 01-21-2010 at 10:47 PM..

Old 01-21-2010, 10:37 PM

2,561 posts, read 5,811,395 times
These are two states I have visited frequently..I lived in Columbia SC..and used to head down to both Augusta,and Atlanta...of course that doesn't make me chairmen of the board, but I have been al over the country, and LA has the best restaurants over all i have ever eaten..just my 02 cents..I know two places in Denver Cucina Colore, and Sushi Den in Denver that people from NYC,Toronto,London, LA can't wait to visit..my point is there are great places every where..California howver is filled ith shear volume...highest income brackets mixed with the most desired state living conditions..quite pure and simple ..Culinary is taken to new heights in the Golden State compared to every where else on average. The average place I eat in California is soooo much better than Georgia..seriously..

Old 01-21-2010, 10:46 PM

221 posts, read 797,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Well we're lucky Georgia isn't in a tundra are we?

Cali may offer more variety, but more doesn't always mean better.

I would actually say what makes California cuisine better is its quality. Like I mentioned there are so many small-batch producers with fresh, subtle ingredients available very easily available.

Old 01-21-2010, 10:48 PM

631 posts, read 1,227,699 times
I love Southern cooking better especially arouns thanksgiving and christmas...

Old 01-21-2010, 11:00 PM

2,684 posts, read 7,380,504 times
I know my fellow Californians my disagree with me, but I actually detest fusion food (which is arguably, the most Californian of cuisines Fusion cuisine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia). I haven't had very many dishes that I'd consider 'good fusion food'. For example, I ate this $15 tofu-veggie-burrito, and it was probably the worst thing I have ever eaten (and I'm Filipino!). Someone could probably direct me to something half decent, but please Southerners, don't fall for the Fusion hype!

Although, I am curious to try Kogi's Korean BBQ truck (Kogi*|*Korean BBQ-To-Go) to see if it matches the hype. If not, well there are always real taco trucks I can go to with the failing health inspection grades but 100% of flavor! I gained 20 pounds by eating taco truck tacos every day when I was 15. Fortunately, I'm skinny again, so I can indulge once in a while.

The best places are usually the places that aren't rated by anything, but rather hole in the wall places strewn about everywhere. I found some good Lebanese food in my area by accidentally parking in this strip mall! I'm sure Georgia has some really good, hole in the wall, undiscovered places that are waiting for people to try. California..Georgia..Timbuktu...I don't restrict myself when it comes to food.

As for quality of ingredients, California is hard to beat, but to me what is done with the ingredients is just as important as the ingredients themselves. You can combine fresh stuff together, but if it tastes bad (like the veggie burrito I described above), it doesn't even matter. This is why the comparison is fair, and shouldn't be as much of a blowout as it should be.

Can you tell I love to cook?

Old 01-21-2010, 11:39 PM

1,638 posts, read 3,637,466 times
Georgia, easily.

California is overrated in almost every category, and food is no exception.

Old 01-21-2010, 11:52 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,487,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReluctantGardenStater View Post
Georgia, easily.

California is overrated in almost every category, and food is no exception.

California is envied in almost every category, and food is no exception.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City