Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which state has better food?
California 225 71.43%
Georgia 90 28.57%
Voters: 315. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2010, 12:46 PM

4,230 posts, read 10,434,345 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
that and boudin. Everytime we ride through Lafayette on our way to Florida, we stop there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2010, 12:47 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,315,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
This is true, so how do other parts not have access to a lot of what Californians do? If we ship what is grown here, then don't people have access to much of the same foods we do since we are shipping it to them? A bit of a contradiction. I'm sure we have some things here that aren't as widely available elsewhere, but a lot of it is since we ship so much of it out.

So is Mexican food! A look how many Californians eat that.

Also we are forgetting that this is not limited to the coastal urban areas, but the whole state. Do you honestly think the majority of people in places like the Central Valley are eating more like people in SF or more like people in GA? CA has PLENTY of areas that rival the heating habits and lifestyle of Georgia. We tend to focus too much on popular urban areas. This state is just SF, LA, and SD with people eating the freshest food and at the finest restaurants. Fresno, Sacramento, Bakersfield, etc.. yeah we tend to forget those parts.
As soon as a crop is harvested it begins to lose its nutrients & taste. That's why most produce is put on ice as soon as possible but if it takes a few days to a week to ship these products out of California that means the food is less fresh\ nutrious. Many of the restraurants that emphasize California crusine get their vegetables\ fruits within a day of when it was picked. Many areas in SoCal especially, grow vegetables for restaurants & provide same-day crops. If you live near the farm you get the freshest food & California is a huge farm!

No one said Mexican food is healthy. It is the staple for many people who eat unhealthy. But the average California has a lot more variety to cook good nutritious meals & the state of California leads the nation in "organic" foods and strict regulations on how food is processed. Just last November the voters passed regulations on how pigs\ chickens\ cows are cared for [bigger cages\ better feed\ humane conditions, etc.]. No other state has regulations like California yet but what happens here eventually is picked up by the rest of the nation, as we know.

Old 01-22-2010, 12:49 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,284,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BergenCountyJohnny View Post
Um, I never said or presumed that people eat the unhealthy stuff at every meal. Did you mean to reply to a different poster?

And fries w/ gravy and cheese is a NJ thing; this thread is about CA vs. GA. I'm not sure what the relevance is of NJ food to this thread.
The relevance is very simple. You stated that Southern food is pretty much unhealthy. My point is that no region has a "lock" on unhealthy food, including your own with its ingrained diner culture. Hardly healthy, at all.

And you can get fries with brown gravy on them here too, thanks to all the transplants.

Old 01-22-2010, 12:50 PM

20,499 posts, read 33,299,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
what's wrong? Did I spell it wrong or do you dislike it for some reason that I do not need to know.

Old 01-22-2010, 12:52 PM

4,085 posts, read 8,750,965 times
Quote:
..and so do the suburbs in Mississippi, Alabama, Louisiana, Georgia, you see where I'm going?

Take Jackson, Mississippi for example. There is Japanese (not the cheesy Hibachi joints), Lebanese, Greek, etc. all over the suburbs. So apply this to Atlanta and the numbers should increase by a large amount.
No, not really. Jackson is Mississippi's biggest city. The suburbs of Jackson have somewhat of a selection of Lebanese, Greek, etc. but nothing like what you'd find in CA or NJ far from a big city. On the other hand, try going to Hattiesburg or Biloxi and finding Lebanese restaurants - it's a whole different story. But you'll find this kind of diversity in small cities like Fresno or Merced, CA or in New Brunswick or Paterson, NJ.

So, Jackson is a lot like Atlanta, it's the state's biggest city and their showcase city, but outside of such a city those states lack the diversity of a California.

Old 01-22-2010, 12:53 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,315,618 times
Quote:
I'll still take the following:
Fried Chicken
Collard Greens
Biscuits
Country or Chicken if you're from TX fried steak with the white gravy
hamhocks
Sweet Potato Pie
Black Eyed Peas
Smothered Pork Chops
BBQ
Banana Pudding
Buttered Beans

shall i continue. Georgia surely comes out on top when it comes to this and make no mistake, if you know what you're doing, this can indeed be very healthy.
Sorry but many of the dishes you list are not healthy: "fried" anything is bad, biscuits are not healthy, gravy is not healthy, pies\ puddings are too caloric, etc.

Old 01-22-2010, 12:54 PM

2,531 posts, read 6,221,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
Send him here, grindin: Crawfish Shack Seafood - Atlanta, GA

It's run by a very cool Vietnamese guy from New Orleans, named Hui.

It's a little gem that most don't know of yet, but the word is getting out.

He has his crawfish trucked in fresh daily, and they are GOOD. He'll sell you fresh that you can take home to cook if you like.

Thanks!

4,230 posts, read 10,434,345 times
Quote:
what's wrong? Did I spell it wrong or do you dislike it for some reason that I do not need to know.
No, I just don't like Boudin. I hear that fresh Boudin is better, but the brand name Boundin in the grocery store made sure I'd never try it again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
Sorry but many of the dishes you list are not healthy: "fried" anything is bad, biscuits are not healthy, gravy is not healthy, pies\ puddings are too caloric, etc.
I'm not tryin to say that we eat this every day. It maybe once a week or two at the most. Defintely on Sundays. Live a little. I do eat healthy, but I also have a day where I can go all out. Whether people thinks it's healthy or not, give me that list especially Sweet Potato Pie anyday.

Old 01-22-2010, 12:56 PM

Quote:
No, I just don't like Boudin. I hear that fresh Boudin is better, but the packaged variety in the grocery store scarred me for life.
Oh we don't get the packaged one. We get it from a restaurant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City