Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which state has better food?
California 225 71.43%
Georgia 90 28.57%
Voters: 315. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2010, 11:15 AM

2,106 posts, read 6,629,374 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
Do you have to make all of it at home, or are there some decent places in Cleveland to get the real deal?

Just curious, as I grew up in the area and remember my Mom having to "send off" for grits back then.
Oh there are places to get the real deal, obviously not as much as in GA.. I believe it's from the large number of people from the South that relocated to the North for the Industrial jobs. Other than Sweet Potato Pie, I eat most of the stuff you listed pretty regularly!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2010, 11:18 AM

4,085 posts, read 8,784,782 times
Quote:
Why should any of us believe a New Jersey homer that attempted to portray his own States peach production as higher than Georgia's?

You have yet to address that inaccurate claim, or does statistical data only work one way here?
No, I made a mistake - NJ is right after GA in peach production. I'm pretty sure there were years when GA didn't outproduce NJ but I couldn't find the stats and I'm not going to look too hard... CA still outproduces GA in GA's own state fruit, anyway.

Besides, don't believe me - believe the stats I supplied that show how much fatter southerners are.

And you have yet to substantiate that Atlanta didn't have a water shortage and is out of a water shortage. They're not.

Atlanta Water Shortage

But to the point of this thread, CA offers much more food in terms of variety, quality, venues, home-grown and raised produce and meat, wine, seafood, in addition to having its own cuisines and specialties. CA also offers much more variety of healthy options in addition to their unhealthy options. Georgia just can't match up with California. That doesn't mean Georgia has nothing - Georgia has a lot to offer and a lot that's very, very good. But compared to California? It's not a contest. California is on a different level.

Old 01-25-2010, 11:21 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,357,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeSoHood View Post
Oh there are places to get the real deal, obviously not as much as in GA.. I believe it's from the large number of people from the South that relocated to the North for the Industrial jobs. Other than Sweet Potato Pie, I eat most of the stuff you listed pretty regularly!
Cool! Things have changed then since we lived there. Home cooking was our only option, but that was a long time ago.

Old 01-25-2010, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BergenCountyJohnny View Post
No, I made a mistake - NJ is right after GA in peach production. I'm pretty sure there were years when GA didn't outproduce NJ but I couldn't find the stats and I'm not going to look too hard... CA still outproduces GA in GA's own state fruit, anyway.

Besides, don't believe me - believe the stats I supplied that show how much fatter southerners are.

And you have yet to substantiate that Atlanta didn't have a water shortage and is out of a water shortage. They're not.

Atlanta Water Shortage
At least you admit you were wrong on the peach claim.

As far as the water shortage, off topic and sorry, but wrong yet again. Pulling up data from last May that shows the lake levels were so high that a release was needed for the downstream folks in Alabama and Florida proves this point, wouldn't you say?

Again, the entire Southeast suffered from a several hundred year old drought. It's over.

As a matter of fact, we are experiencing sporadic flooding here this morning. But thanks again for attempting to make Georgia look bad. Your little agenda seems to be backfiring on you.

Old 01-25-2010, 11:31 AM

8,485 posts, read 14,990,056 times
Quote:

Atlanta Water Shortage
I hate to reply since this is so off topic, but no, we do not have a water shortage. The drought is over. Way over.

Rainfall Scorecard

Atlanta rainfall for 2009: 69 inches
Athens rainfall for 2009: 60 inches
Columbus rainfall for 2009: 80 inches

Now Southern California, they have water issues. But that is off topic and not even worth mentioning. Just needed to set the record straight.

Old 01-25-2010, 11:48 AM

2,106 posts, read 6,629,374 times
Quote:
Cool! Things have changed then since we lived there. Home cooking was our only option, but that was a long time ago.
Yup! Also, I should note that most of the restaurants are in African-American communities and include Freddy's, Cherry-Os, Southern Cafeteria, Angies, Henry's at the Barn, Hot Sauce Williams, etc.

Old 01-25-2010, 11:59 AM

4,085 posts, read 8,784,782 times
Quote:
At least you admit you were wrong on the peach claim.
I have no problem with admitting it.

Quote:
As far as the water shortage, off topic and sorry, but wrong yet again. Pulling up data from last May that shows the lake levels were so high that a release was needed for the downstream folks in Alabama and Florida proves this point, wouldn't you say?

Again, the entire Southeast suffered from a several hundred year old drought. It's over.

As a matter of fact, we are experiencing sporadic flooding here this morning. But thanks again for attempting to make Georgia look bad. Your little agenda seems to be backfiring on you.
The release is being done DESPITE the lake not being at "normal levels" and it is not something that they want to do now, but are doing anyway...

From the website I linked to:
"Representatives from Georgia, Florida and Alabama regularly get to together on a conference call with the Corps of Engineers to discuss water issues. Thursday’s call produced bad news for Georgia and Lake Lanier.

The Corps of Engineers denied metro Atlanta’s request to minimizewater releases from Lake Lanier for another month. It was good news for Florida and Alabama who opposed the corps’ decision last year to reduce releases from November through April 30.

With the summer months rapidly coming up and the lake still below “normal” levels, it seems a bit premature to start draining the lake just because the past 6 months have had abnormally high water levels."

If you followed the link on that website, you'd have also read:
"Val Perry from the Lake Lanier Association
"It appalls me that even though we’re still 7 and a half feet down, they have decided to release more water and let it (the lake level) come down further. The summer months are approaching, and in the past, they always tried to get to full pool by June 1. This almost guarantees we’ll not even get close to it."

Grier Todd from the 1071 Coalition and the Lake Lanier Islands
"We were gaining a lot of ground in terms of lake level in the past couple of months. I know we had a lot of rain, but the reduced flow was a big part of those gains. I’m just afraid its going to stem the momentum we’ve had in getting the lake back up to full pool."

I think you'd be hard pressed to find anyone around Lake Lanier to disagree with them."

Atlanta is far better off than a couple years ago when they got to the point that they had 100 or less days' worth of water despite all the rationing and car washing and lawn watering bans. But they're not out of the woods yet. To say the water shortage is over is not true.

And yes, California has drought issues - the whole Western US from Colorado to California and south has water issues, but they also have a lot of springs and wells they can tap.

But the bottom line is that comparing CA to GA in terms of food is not a fair comparison because CA will win in every category except Southern Food, and one category isn't enough to be better overall in terms of food.

Old 01-25-2010, 12:08 PM

Quote:

The release is being done DESPITE the lake not being at "normal levels" and it is not something that they want to do now, but are doing anyway...

"Representatives from Georgia, Florida and Alabama regularly get to together on a conference call with the Corps of Engineers to discuss water issues. Thursday’s call produced bad news for Georgia and Lake Lanier.

The Corps of Engineers denied metro Atlanta’s request to minimizewater releases from Lake Lanier for another month. It was good news for Florida and Alabama who opposed the corps’ decision last year to reduce releases from November through April 30.

With the summer months rapidly coming up and the lake still below “normal” levels, it seems a bit premature to start draining the lake just because the past 6 months have had abnormally high water levels."

"It appalls me that even though we’re still 7 and a half feet down, they have decided to release more water and let it (the lake level) come down further. The summer months are approaching, and in the past, they always tried to get to full pool by June 1. This almost guarantees we’ll not even get close to it."

"We were gaining a lot of ground in terms of lake level in the past couple of months. I know we had a lot of rain, but the reduced flow was a big part of those gains. I’m just afraid its going to stem the momentum we’ve had in getting the lake back up to full pool."

I think you'd be hard pressed to find anyone around Lake Lanier to disagree with them."

Atlanta is far better off than a couple years ago when they got to the point that they had 100 or less days' worth of water despite all the rationing and car washing and lawn watering bans. But they're not out of the woods yet. To say the water shortage is over is not true.

And yes, California has drought issues - the whole Western US from Colorado to California and south has water issues, but they also have a lot of springs and wells they can tap.

But the bottom line is that comparing CA to GA in terms of food is not a fair comparison because CA will win in every category except Southern Food, and one category isn't enough to be better overall in terms of food.
LOL! This is becoming true comedy with you.

Again, this is taken from a link you found from LAST MAY.

You have been told repeatedly by several posters that the drought is over. I realize it messes up your agenda, but you need to deal with it.

State Declares Drought Over; Lifts Watering Ban - News Story - WSB Atlanta

Next.

Old 01-25-2010, 12:28 PM

4,843 posts, read 6,099,045 times
Quote:
this calls for a reposted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
I have said repeatedly if Cali takes something and put there on spin to it’s Cali cuisine. A few posters posted Cali food that ok "Then compare that to southern and soul food cuisines instead of which state serves more Imitation of others cuisines from other places. People should give opinions that what posters do on city data anyways. I just felt the way people were judging by foreign foods didn't even make sense

“If you want Chinese food in Georgia go get Chinese food dawg. There are more Xbox 360s in Cali as well, does that mean in Georgia you have less of a chance of getting a Xbox? and does that even matter Cali has more? in Georgia you can get the exact same Dishes as Cali YES! is there just as much serving as in cali NO, but is it even necessary to have just as much NO. Grocery stores will be over stock and a lot of food would be wasted."

Meaning Just cause Cali serves or even grows more food doesn’t mean it going to you! It’s for the demand of the larger population you as a individual would have same food per capita as a individual Georgian that’s the answer to “types of foods and products available and to what extent” to the original poster. It’s same it’s like arguing a larger GPA, land area and population makes yall have a larger individual per capita when it come to food, that's still funny. Instead of comparing the quality of restaurants (if Cali wins that's fair), and local cuisines Southern and Soul food vs. cali food (if the cuisine you're eating is name after another region it's that region cuisine!)
This is not Georgia vs Mexico or China just like it's not Cali vs Mexico or China, It's Georgia vs. Cali

Old 01-25-2010, 12:46 PM

1,325 posts, read 2,643,464 times
Quote:

I know this is off topic; however, I thought it was necessary to correct you with the water shortage. We currently have a surplus of water in Lake Lanier and the Army corp is draining the lake now to keep it from flooding due to the abundance of rain we have received within the past couple of months (weather : news headlines - weather.com Lake Lanier: Drought to Flood Problems).

In addition, this link provides data for Lake lanier currently (Lake Sidney Lanier Water Level).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City