Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2011, 02:39 PM

170 posts, read 389,588 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgonzalez12 View Post
yea well if u wanna get technical hip hop stems from jazz music which came from where???? oh yea....my point aint that hip hop didnt start in the north....my point is thats its jus like new yorkers to wanna cry when NY isnt the best at something. yall would say the jersey shore go harder then south beach lol. And people down here don't copy NY slang....we laugh at it. So does the rest of the country. And NY doesn't run the world. NY is a small insignificant city compared to what else is in the rest of the world
no because technically, it stems from "toasting", which is a jamaican style of lyrical chanting over a beat..DJ Kool Herc came from jamaica to new york and started the main element of this hiphop culture
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2011, 02:56 PM

11,327 posts, read 20,240,568 times
Quote:
New Yorkers and people from Jersey hate on the south so much that they have even said that the Jersey shore is a better beach then South beach...frankly if its above the mason dixie line its not a beach lol. And down here is the south. I'v lived in NC, New Orleans, ATL, and Orlando and people don't steal NY slang....at least nobody I know
I'm from NY and I love the South, I want to live there soon. The Jersey Shore is nice but it's no South Beach.

Lol how isn't it a Beach? All beaches look basically the same from Long Island to Florida (minus South Florida), all part of the Atlantic Coastal Plain (Long Island to South TX), but from The Bronx on north is where you see the change from sandy beaches to those rocky beaches.

To be honest I've heard some of the same terms used in the North & the South, I think that's general American slang though, people go overboard with this "copied" stuff.

Old 04-22-2011, 03:43 PM

3,003 posts, read 6,063,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAMEN VII View Post
no because technically, it stems from "toasting", which is a jamaican style of lyrical chanting over a beat..DJ Kool Herc came from jamaica to new york and started the main element of this hiphop culture
Kool herc is a bronxite. He moved from jamaica when he was like eleven years old. Toasting is nothing like an mc rapping, rap like hip hop came from hundreds of new yorkers adding on ideas and elements and styles

Furthermore kool herc is not the most imporant piece to the creation of hip hop-Afrika bambaataa is. He was the one that put the culture together
Quote:
yea well if u wanna get technical hip hop stems from jazz music which came from where???? oh yea....my point aint that hip hop didnt start in the north....my point is thats its jus like new yorkers to wanna cry when NY isnt the best at something. yall would say the jersey shore go harder then south beach lol. And people down here don't copy NY slang....we laugh at it. So does the rest of the country. And NY doesn't run the world. NY is a small insignificant city compared to what else is in the rest of the world
Hip hop did not stem from jazz lol. Where did you get that? Hip hops early influences were funk and disco but hip hop later developed a sound and style of its own that was different(planet rock,the message etc)

NY insignificant? New york is considered the most powerful city on earth. How is it insignificant?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
and without the south; there would be no hip hop.
False. Hip hop is as northern as it gets. It had very humble beginnings as being nothing more than just nyc street culture. There was a time when absolutely no one knew about hip hop outside the five boroughs

Old 04-22-2011, 06:26 PM

2,957 posts, read 6,443,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post
Kool herc is a bronxite. He moved from jamaica when he was like eleven years old. Toasting is nothing like an mc rapping, rap like hip hop came from hundreds of new yorkers adding on ideas and elements and styles
See I agree here. Dude may have some childhood memories in Jamaica, but the man he became and the career he had that anyone is familiar with was that of a NYer. For all intents and purposes he is a NYer, just like anyone with a green card that has been there since grade school is.

Just like 2pac (except in reverse), who LEFT NY when he was 12. The dude may have learned basic math in NY, but he left it before he likely even sprouted any pubes and had his high school years in Baltimore and Marin City, CA. And his entire adult life and rap career he was a CA resident, so its complete BS when people from the East try to claim him now - especially considering how few East Coasters claimed him back then when it was all about "Biggie is so much better blah blah blah" according to like 95% of any East Coasters I heard talk at the time.

Y'all weren't trying to go anywhere near him back in those days, but now that he's a legend some phony cats (mostly ones that were too young to even know what was up during that era) are trying to claim he was East Coast through and through even though he was basically the General of West Coast hip hop when he passed lol. Its ridiculous.

Its good to see at least ONE NYer gets this concept. Most people do not spend the entirety of their life in the same town they were born in, so their "hometown" is where they grew into whoever they became or wherever they identify with. Not where their birth hospital location is. So I'm with you KONY.

Some folks get this sh*t twisted and its hella annoying. NY may have some claim to Pac, but no one there knew who he was until Oakland/Marin City turned him into a man. Kool Herc may be ethnically Jamaican, but what he is is a NYer. Same goes with Too Short who lived in LA till he was 14, but no one's gonna argue that he ain't from Oakland, just like Kurupt is from LA more than Philly and Joe Budden is a Jersey product and not NY. People often move around a bit before they settle in a place and become their own person.

Old 04-22-2011, 06:41 PM

322 posts, read 611,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post

Furthermore kool herc is not the most imporant piece to the creation of hip hop-Afrika bambaataa is. He was the one that put the culture together

Hip hop did not stem from jazz lol. Where did you get that? Hip hops early influences were funk and disco but hip hop later developed a sound and style of its own that was different(planet rock,the message etc)

NY insignificant? New york is considered the most powerful city on earth. How is it insignificant?

False. Hip hop is as northern as it gets. It had very humble beginnings as being nothing more than just nyc street culture. There was a time when absolutely no one knew about hip hop outside the five boroughs

Hold the phone...Nowhere on this planet is NY considered to be the most powerful city on the planet except in NY. In asia they laugh at NY because they have TOKYO. TOKYO is the biggest and most powerful city in the world. twice the population of NY. In europe they have LONDON. in terms of world powers London and NY are tied but no one in Europe thinks so. In South America they have Sao Paulo, Brazil, again larger population and economy. and in the states the only people that think NY is the most powerful are people from NY. Down here we don't see yall that powerful and I know them boys in LA don't lol. I bet if you grew up in Wisconsin you would think Green Bay was the most powerful city in the world. I'v traveled the world and believe me there is little you can find in NY that you can't find in TOKYO, HONG KONG, or LONDON lmao

Old 04-22-2011, 06:53 PM

2,557 posts, read 4,599,250 times
Default boredatwork

Quote:
Hold the phone...Nowhere on this planet is NY considered to be the most powerful city on the planet except in NY. In asia they laugh at NY because they have TOKYO. TOKYO is the biggest and most powerful city in the world. twice the population of NY. In europe they have LONDON. in terms of world powers London and NY are tied but no one in Europe thinks so. In South America they have Sao Paulo, Brazil, again larger population and economy. and in the states the only people that think NY is the most powerful are people from NY. Down here we don't see yall that powerful and I know them boys in LA don't lol. I bet if you grew up in Wisconsin you would think Green Bay was the most powerful city in the world. I'v traveled the world and believe me there is little you can find in NY that you can't find in TOKYO, HONG KONG, or LONDON lmao

They laugh in DC too slim and its only a dot on the map

Old 04-22-2011, 07:38 PM

3,003 posts, read 6,063,528 times
Quote:
Most experts list nyc as the number 1 city in the world and it is. So what someone living in tokyo thinks is irrelevant and beside the point.

Look at these list. You see what city is number 1 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_city

And new york is way more powerful than la. Your just a hater

Last edited by K.O.N.Y; 04-22-2011 at 09:00 PM..

Old 04-22-2011, 07:52 PM

531 posts, read 1,137,482 times
NOLA got crazy slang ya heard me? I cant even understand them half the time ya heard me? all you can make out is a bunch of jibberish follow by the phrase " ya heard me"? ya heard me?

Old 04-22-2011, 08:01 PM

899 posts, read 1,066,066 times
Quote:
Hang up the phone.

You're obviously delusional. NYC is definitely one of the most powerful cities in the world, only a fool would think otherwise. Reason "ya'll" down there don't see NYC as powerful is because, simply, you're ignorant. And quite frankly, a deep-hearted hater.

And I officially took this post as a joke made form a high schooler once I read "Sao Paulo, again larger population and ECONOMY"...

....Wait, what did I just see? Haha, you fail on all corners. But I give you credit though, you make other NYC haters here look like Einstein on PCP.

NYC is the 2nd richest city in the world, only behind Tokyo. Sao Paulo is nowhere near NYC in terms of economy, ever heard of Wall Street? Eh, most likely not. Forget I even asked.

On top of that, aside from economy, NYC is a cultural hotbed & known for setting urban trends that's felt widespread around the globe. Notably, Hip-Hop. Which you WILL find in every city you listed that's more "powerful" than NYC. Ironic, huh?

Old 04-22-2011, 08:14 PM

531 posts, read 1,137,482 times
anyone who would argue that NYC is NOT one of the most powerful cities in the world needs to be banned
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City