Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2010, 12:06 AM

3,645 posts, read 8,308,704 times

Advertisements

bay area slang is something else. "hella thizzin every dizzay" lmao&WTF. And ny/NJ. "Son ova thea is MADD cool B" How can one be mad and cool at once. Then again most slang is funny and strange, like chicagoland for exampe
"Aye joe dis shirt raw as hell chalie" Eventhough your real name is raymond or stewart

not trying to diss on anyone's slang tho. its all in fun

Last edited by mas23; 01-25-2010 at 12:34 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2010, 12:33 AM

1,807 posts, read 3,322,684 times
bay area slang is not all like that. but i will admit "hella" is probably the most commonly used word, as it is as versatile as the word "f_ck" in the way it can be used as an adverb, adjective, pronoun, and so forth. whereas we may say "its hella hot outside" l.a's less colorful version may be "it is hot."
how hot is it... is it hot like 80 degrees hot.. or hot like wearing a down jacket, 3 blankets and a beanie inside of a black van with leather seats and no air conditioning at 1pm in las vegas in the middle of summer.. thats when "hella" comes in quite nicely. emphasis can also be added to the word to detail to what degree the heat outside is. "its hella hot" is different from "its hella hot"

Old 01-25-2010, 07:40 AM
eek

3,574 posts, read 7,730,128 times
what we need to do is get ppl that use crazy amounts of slang from oakland, nyc, chicago, detroit, memphis, houston and atlanta into one room and introduce them to each other and then record their conversations lol.

it would be mind blowing.

Old 01-25-2010, 07:42 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,199,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
what we need to do is get ppl that use crazy amounts of slang from oakland, nyc, chicago, detroit, memphis, houston and atlanta into one room and introduce them to each other and then record their conversations lol.

it would be mind blowing.
Houston and the Bay Area would pretty much sound the same.

Texas Slang:

Throwed (thowed too):
1. Drunk or F**ed up
2. Crazy or wildin out
3. Tight or cool
"Them new forces is throwed"

Hooptie (Hoop):
1. Ugly car
2. Raggedy car
"I see you riding in that hooptie"

Wired up (Wild up):
1. Crunk
"We was wired up at that party last night"

Mash(ed):
1. to fight
"We mashed on that fool the other day"

Bopper:
1. Golddigger female
"That chick is a bopper"

Dip:
1. Somebody you got on the side
"I'mma chill with my dip tonight"

Square Business:
1. For real or seriously"
A: I just won the lottery
B. You lying
A: Square Business!

Tambourine Player:
1. A gay person
"I swear that dude a tambourine player"

"Step in the Paint": Pretty much another way of saying run up or square up.

"Get yo Paper!" - Get out there and fight.

Last edited by blkgiraffe; 01-25-2010 at 08:14 AM..

Old 01-25-2010, 07:45 AM
eek

3,574 posts, read 7,730,128 times
what about memphis and new orleans?

Old 01-25-2010, 08:12 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,199,026 times
Quote:
I don't know about Memphis, but New Orleans and Houston have similar slang. But they also have their own slang as well.

Old 01-25-2010, 08:18 AM

4,515 posts, read 9,696,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
I have to go with NYC. I use slang in like every other sentence, NYC slang is almost its own language.

I wish NYC had a video like that lol.
I have to go with you on this one

Old 01-25-2010, 04:49 PM

2,593 posts, read 4,653,653 times
Default boredatwork

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastonestanding View Post
Joe? Yall got that from Chicago, we've been callin people joe since the 90s. Thats 100 percent Chi-town slang, along with Charlie, Shirley, Flickin, Tweekin, Whadown, Chicago slang is different than anywhere else and its unique to Chi-town. No other place has the distinctness where you can tell just by his or her slang you know exactly where they're from. At least not too my knowledge.

Anyways Slim..... I been saying Joe since kindergarten and that was late 80's early 90's....I said it bc everybody else sd it...I never been to Chicago..I dont know bout no Charlie, shirley, or no Whodown....if anything ppl say "MOE" more than anything just in case you were catchin feelings....We say young or youngin. not "yo" like NY/NJ...we'll say slim, champ, lova, cuzin may even say whoday like N.O not to say we stealin their slang just real recognizing real.....but somebody always tryna be like Chicago is what I get from the natives on this forum

Old 01-25-2010, 05:19 PM

2,593 posts, read 4,653,653 times
Default boredatwork

Quote:

Memphis slang I know from 36...there favorite phrase is "dont play" and whats the bizness?...they say "tone" for gun and junt for joint...ghetty is that money

New Orleans I know from hotboys is whoday or "round"...biznight...they started that whole "u heard me" "u dig" talk

Old 01-26-2010, 07:12 PM

5,347 posts, read 10,154,410 times
DC people used to say Joe back in the day (80's). Then it graduated to Yung, Slim, Lova, Chief, Cuz, Son. Now they say Moe. Way way back, they used to say Huss, which was short for Hustler.

Sland evolves over time. No one city has the market on slang.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City