Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best City?
Philadelphia 102 46.58%
Boston 117 53.42%
Voters: 219. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 12:50 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,518,195 times

Advertisements

I like them both, but Philadelphia gets my vote; because of it's walkable and compact center city, reminiscent of Manhattan in amenities but with a much smaller geographic footprint and lower cost of living.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2010, 07:58 PM

5,347 posts, read 10,154,410 times
Philly! Better nightlife, diversity, things to do and location. I'll give Boston the edge on crime, employment and transit. Cosom is a tie.

Old 02-01-2010, 06:29 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,518,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
Philly! Better nightlife, diversity, things to do and location. I'll give Boston the edge on crime, employment and transit. Cosom is a tie.
Yeah...ALL things considered about even and too close to call...but I love center city Philly and I am a bit biased .

Old 02-01-2010, 06:56 PM

3,197 posts, read 5,373,658 times
Philly

Old 02-01-2010, 11:25 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times
I think Caymon's got a nice summary. I think I'd live in Philly though, because the harsh Boston winter isn't for me. It'd be a much easier choice if SEPTA would get on the ball.

Old 03-21-2010, 09:41 AM

5 posts, read 9,548 times
Philly. It is more urban, interesting, and diverse than Boston. Philly just feels more real.

Old 03-21-2010, 09:43 AM

5,969 posts, read 9,557,279 times
Hard to pick one, both are great examples of urban American cities with great locations and full of history and culture.

Old 05-14-2010, 03:07 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,035,535 times
Ouch! This is possibly the greatest comparison you can make between any two sets of American cities.

For me it's a draw. I honestly have a hard time picking.

Economy: Boston
Night Life: Tie
Cost of Living: Philadelphia
Education: Boston
Public Transportation: Boston
Airport: Philadelphia (Logan is good too)
Economy: Tie
Weather: Philadelphia
History: Tie
Medicine: Boston

Old 05-14-2010, 03:42 PM

521 posts, read 1,313,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
Ouch! This is possibly the greatest comparison you can make between any two sets of American cities.

For me it's a draw. I honestly have a hard time picking.

Economy: Boston
Night Life: Tie
Cost of Living: Philadelphia
Education: Boston
Public Transportation: Boston
Airport: Philadelphia (Logan is good too)
Economy: Tie
Weather: Philadelphia
History: Tie
Medicine: Boston

huh?!?

I just re-read my reply above from a few months ago.

After a second thought, I think Boston beats out Philly in education, looks-and-feel, being on the bay, and a bigger economy.

Philly beats out Boston in cost of living, location in mid-Atlantic, top sports complex and crazier sports fans, food/drink/nightlife, and better weather.

It's a toss-up on the airport, mass transit, history/culture, and things to do.

Not sure about medicine as a separate category from education, but Philly has a ton of medical and allied schools... I'd call it a toss-up with edge to Boston for more biotech and edge to Philly for more pharma.

Old 05-14-2010, 03:46 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,035,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by a75206 View Post
huh?!?

I just re-read my reply above from a few months ago.

After a second thought, I think Boston beats out Philly in education, looks-and-feel, being on the bay, and a bigger economy.

Philly beats out Boston in cost of living, location in mid-Atlantic, top sports complex and crazier sports fans, food/drink/nightlife, and better weather.

It's a toss-up on the airport, mass transit, history/culture, and things to do.

Not sure about medicine as a separate category from education, but Philly has a ton of medical and allied schools... I'd call it a toss-up with edge to Boston for more biotech and edge to Philly for more pharma.
The first one was meant to be economy's growth lol.

No, didn't mean medicine as in educationally. I meant as in medical centers, and doctors.

I guess my vote right now just broke a tie breaker lol on the poll!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City