Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2012, 08:28 PM

1,224 posts, read 2,188,963 times

Advertisements

Its Texas by a country mile.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2012, 08:39 PM

1,073 posts, read 2,194,490 times
Texas, followed by Colorado.

Omahan's are very proud too with the exception of a smaller, more vocal anti-Omaha group.

Old 04-08-2012, 09:01 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,740,179 times
Texas, California, and Michigan.

The cockiness in NY/NJ mostly comes from NYC.

Old 04-09-2012, 07:42 AM

4,100 posts, read 4,515,889 times
City pride > State pride for me.

I'd have to go with Texas, obviously.

Old 04-09-2012, 11:50 AM

10,239 posts, read 19,603,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theS5 View Post
You have obviously taken the conform or be cast out route. Texans having pride in their state is commendable, but more times than not, is unfounded.
In what way is it "unfounded." By what measure/standard...?

Quote:
Texans, at least in the larger cities, tend to be loud-mouthed, in yer face types. They love to voice their pride of their state.
1. Well, in my own personal experience, most of the real "loud-mouth" and "in- your-face types you mention...? They tend to be obnoxious northerner/west coast/yankee yankee types who have a self superior attitude.

1(a) Most of those with the attitude described above invite the counter-response from Texans because of their own arrogance/condecension...
[
Quote:
We spent three-years there, which, putting it politely, were a learning experience. I made certain the schools knew that my kids would not recite the Texas pledge of allegiance. Instead, they stood silently when the other little lemmings fell in line.
LMAO. This is a great example of the above in many ways. And you wonder why you were not accepted in Texas?

BUT...first of all? Why did y'all (yep, that is what I said), move here to begin with???? Military...or this was the only place to find a job?

*shakes head with both sadness and amusement*. No one is "forced" to say the pledge to the Texas flag (or American, for that matter) As a teacher, I know this for certain (and BTW -- many states have pledges to their respective flags).

But ok, whatever, you made sure that your children would not be a part of this silly-a$$ backward stuff done down here in Texas/South, right? After all, those who participate are just "leaping lemmings", correct?

Gawdamighty, I can only imagine how you were...and taught your children to be...when it came to other other aspects of Texas life. Did you also disdain the accent, the history, the culture, etc...? If so, isn't it obvious why you encountered some hostility????

But maybe it is just a "yankee thing", where the cultural translations are light-years apart....

Quote:
It's all good, and if TX ever wants to form its own nation, I say, let em.
Fair enough! But do yourself and us both a favor and don't move back down here again when you freeze in the dark!

Old 04-09-2012, 08:29 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ull2015 View Post
I would say Georgia, particularly Atlanta.
Atlanta, sure. Georgia, not so much. If anything, a lot of Atlantans would disassociate themselves from Georgia.

Old 04-09-2012, 08:31 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,534,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SNEwx_46 View Post
City pride > State pride for me.

I'd have to go with Texas, obviously.
Texas is pretty impressive

Old 04-09-2012, 09:32 PM

30 posts, read 45,361 times
People in Texas and California show pride in which ever region they live in within the state, not the whole state (imho)

So there is DFW pride, Htown pride, LA pride, Bay area pride, etc...

Old 04-09-2012, 09:47 PM

359 posts, read 329,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
In what way is it "unfounded." By what measure/standard...?

1. Well, in my own personal experience, most of the real "loud-mouth" and "in- your-face types you mention...? They tend to be obnoxious northerner/west coast/yankee yankee types who have a self superior attitude.

1(a) Most of those with the attitude described above invite the counter-response from Texans because of their own arrogance/condecension...
[

LMAO. This is a great example of the above in many ways. And you wonder why you were not accepted in Texas?

BUT...first of all? Why did y'all (yep, that is what I said), move here to begin with???? Military...or this was the only place to find a job?

*shakes head with both sadness and amusement*. No one is "forced" to say the pledge to the Texas flag (or American, for that matter) As a teacher, I know this for certain (and BTW -- many states have pledges to their respective flags).

But ok, whatever, you made sure that your children would not be a part of this silly-a$$ backward stuff done down here in Texas/South, right? After all, those who participate are just "leaping lemmings", correct?

Gawdamighty, I can only imagine how you were...and taught your children to be...when it came to other other aspects of Texas life. Did you also disdain the accent, the history, the culture, etc...? If so, isn't it obvious why you encountered some hostility????

But maybe it is just a "yankee thing", where the cultural translations are light-years apart....

Fair enough! But do yourself and us both a favor and don't move back down here again when you freeze in the dark!
yeah ok hank hill. how did i know some guy named TEXASREB was gonna show up in this thread?

dude man, when it comes to Texas, you're either WITH texas, or you're AGAINST texas.

i guess im against texas cuz i don't find it to be a particularly interesting place. its mostly flat, dry, and "hot." i use quotes here cuz saying its hot there is like saying "theres a lotta stars in the sky," or "theres a lotta sand on this beach."

but who cares what i think, im just a YANKEE. from up NORTH oh yutttttttt

Old 04-11-2012, 03:59 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,603,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dood912 View Post
yeah ok hank hill. how did i know some guy named TEXASREB was gonna show up in this thread?

dude man, when it comes to Texas, you're either WITH texas, or you're AGAINST texas.

i guess im against texas cuz i don't find it to be a particularly interesting place. its mostly flat, dry, and "hot." i use quotes here cuz saying its hot there is like saying "theres a lotta stars in the sky," or "theres a lotta sand on this beach."

but who cares what i think, im just a YANKEE. from up NORTH oh yutttttttt
*yawns widely and sleepily* Do you have an intelligent/relevant point to make? Or are you just wasting the keyboard demonstrating your inability to put together any type of coherent thought at all...?

"Dude, man"...? LMAO. Is THAT supposed to be an opening to making an articluate statement on the topic at hand? Try again, please...

Last edited by TexasReb; 04-11-2012 at 04:11 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City