Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2010, 06:43 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,199,026 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycricanpapi View Post
Raivere,

You know why we NYers are so proud? Because no other state or city can compare to NYC. We are the fashion trendsetters (we set the fashion first and then the other states try to imitate us), we have 24 hrs public transportation which no other city have, Our skyline is one of the best, if not the best in the world, we have the best team of MLB (the Yankees), we are the most diversed city, stores are open till very late, What's not to be proud to be from the empire state (New York)?
Your obviously delusional if your seriously comparing NYC to states.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2010, 06:46 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,624,890 times
TN. Arguement over.

Old 01-30-2010, 06:46 PM

672 posts, read 1,788,464 times
Cali's in this mess. Second to no one.

Old 01-30-2010, 06:51 PM

4,515 posts, read 9,696,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Your obviously delusional if your seriously comparing NYC to states.
In this case, since NYC is in the state of NY then I guess I am comparing NY to the other states. However, NYC can easily go against any state. However, i don't want to derail this thread.

Old 01-30-2010, 07:02 PM

4,085 posts, read 8,784,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReluctantGardenStater View Post
I'm not really sure if you're joking or not when you make these types of outrageously insulting posts directed toward an entire region of the country, but it really isn't cute. You think people are ignorant because they live in a certain region, but that's showing nothing but your ignorance. I have family all over the South, but I've lived up here all my life, and most of the "great people" I've had to deal with in New Jersey over the course of two decades + aren't fit to shine the average Southerner's shoes.
So "it isn't really cute" when someone makes "outrageously insulting posts directed toward an entire region of the country," but it's fine and good for you to do it as long as that region of the country is NJ and you say something "most of the "great people" I've had to deal with in New Jersey over the course of two decades + aren't fit to shine the average Southerner's shoes".

I find it funny (and, of course, hypocritical) when people pontificate to others about how they shouldn't be intolerant towards a group and then show intolerance to a different group in the same breath without even realizing it.

You remind me of Austin Powers' father, when he said:
"There are two kinds of people I can't stand: those who are intolerant of people from other cultures, and the Dutch."

As for my post, I was being facetious. Johnatl saw the sarcasm and gave a funny and eqally facetious reply saying it was time for him to go feed the chickens.

Let me ask you this, though... What does it say about a person who chooses to live in a region where he believes the greatest people in that region aren't even fit to tie the shoes of the average people in another region??? (Don't think too hard now...)

Old 01-30-2010, 07:16 PM

1,638 posts, read 3,637,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BergenCountyJohnny View Post
So "it isn't really cute" when someone makes "outrageously insulting posts directed toward an entire region of the country," but it's fine and good for you to do it as long as that region of the country is NJ and you say something "most of the "great people" I've had to deal with in New Jersey over the course of two decades + aren't fit to shine the average Southerner's shoes".

I find it funny (and, of course, hypocritical) when people pontificate to others about how they shouldn't be intolerant towards a group and then show intolerance to a different group in the same breath without even realizing it.

You remind me of Austin Powers' father, when he said:
"There are two kinds of people I can't stand: those who are intolerant of people from other cultures, and the Dutch."

As for my post, I was being facetious. Johnatl saw the sarcasm and gave a funny and eqally facetious reply saying it was time for him to go feed the chickens.

Let me ask you this, though... What does it say about a person who chooses to live in a region where he believes the greatest people in that region aren't even fit to tie the shoes of the average people in another region??? (Don't think too hard now...)
Johnny, you tend to generalize. You're obviously a fair bit older than I am, but I've lived in this state all my life - Considering it's the 4th smallest state in the nation and I enjoy traveling/taking day trips, I have pretty much seen every inch of NJ (obviously hyperbole, before you attack that statement) and encountered people of all types. There are areas of NJ I love, which you probably find hard to grasp - I love the western NJ/Hunterdon County/the Delaware Water Gap in the late summer/early autumn. I love the shore, from Asbury Park to Cape May. The cities leave tons to be desired, but my problem isn't with the landscape of the state itself. Actually, you rarely hear me complain about that. My biggest problems are the people, the politics/insane laws and regulations, and the weather.

Most of the people I have dealt with in NJ are not too different from those I have dealt with in NYC - abrupt, ignorant, or downright vicious. Whenever I'm in a state like Tennessee or Mississippi, the people instantly become nicer as if some type of forcefield is separating these regions. It's incredible. There's good and bad everywhere, but there's levels, and if you want to know, this is the primary reason why the South will always be better than the slums of the Northeast: A better quality of people. The people have made NJ a horrible place to live - Throw in crime, pollution, corruption on an unthinkable scale, overpopulation, and just general misery, and you have a recipe for disaster. NJ can't dance fast enough for the South on its best day.

And it says nothing about me, other than I have obligations up here such as work. I plan to move down to LA within a year or so.

Old 01-30-2010, 08:09 PM

4,085 posts, read 8,784,782 times
Quote:
Johnny, you tend to generalize. You're obviously a fair bit older than I am, but I've lived in this state all my life - Considering it's the 4th smallest state in the nation and I enjoy traveling/taking day trips, I have pretty much seen every inch of NJ (obviously hyperbole, before you attack that statement) and encountered people of all types. There are areas of NJ I love, which you probably find hard to grasp - I love the western NJ/Hunterdon County/the Delaware Water Gap in the late summer/early autumn. I love the shore, from Asbury Park to Cape May. The cities leave tons to be desired, but my problem isn't with the landscape of the state itself. Actually, you rarely hear me complain about that. My biggest problems are the people, the politics/insane laws and regulations, and the weather.
How would I know? All you ever do is complain about NJ. As for me generalizing - where??? I do not generalize about people in a region. I have said repeatedly that, in my experience, people everywhere are the same and that there are the same ratios of jerks to nice people everywhere. I still stand by that. I've not only traveled this entire state and met a lot of people, but I've lived with them. I went to Rutgers, I lived in Central and North Jersey and spent many summers in South Jersey and at the shore. I've done more of it and for longer than you have. Furthermore, I've traveled the nation much, much more extensively than you have.

Quote:
Most of the people I have dealt with in NJ are not too different from those I have dealt with in NYC - abrupt, ignorant, or downright vicious. Whenever I'm in a state like Tennessee or Mississippi, the people instantly become nicer as if some type of forcefield is separating these regions. It's incredible. There's good and bad everywhere, but there's levels, and if you want to know, this is the primary reason why the South will always be better than the slums of the Northeast: A better quality of people. The people have made NJ a horrible place to live - Throw in crime, pollution, corruption on an unthinkable scale, overpopulation, and just general misery, and you have a recipe for disaster. NJ can't dance fast enough for the South on its best day.
Thanks for your anecdotal experience. It conflicts with mine. I have not seen where people here are more "ignorant, or downright vicious" than people in Tennessee or any other part of the country. More abrupt, perhaps, but that's not at all the same thing as ignorant or downright vicious. If anything, I'd say I encounter more ignorance in middle America, but that has no bearing on whether the people are "nice" or "vicious"; ignorance is just ignorance. NJ is one of the best educated populaces of any state, if not the best.

Look at your words... "a better quality of people", etc. You are the one generalizing, yet you accused me of doing it.

You still haven't answered for your blatant hypocrisy in your last post, where you first got upset at the thought that I was attacking people because of the region they are from (I wasn't, I was being facetious [look it up]), you pontificated about it, then you turned around and did exactly what you scolded me for. Do you not see that?

That says to me that it's not any sense of fairness or morality you're interested in, but rather that you have your view and are intolerant of others to the point that you can't even see that you contradict yourself.

Quote:
JAnd it says nothing about me, other than I have obligations up here such as work. I plan to move down to LA within a year or so.
It says this: You choose to live in NJ, and there is a reason. The reason, now you say, is work. Well, if LA is so great, you should be able to work there, I would think. I'm sure if I go on Monster or craigslist there will be jobs listed for LA. So, work isn't an excuse. People find work in other places all the time. I have friends who moved to North Carolina, Ohio, Seattle, L.A., Florida, and all over the nation and you know what? They found jobs!!! I know someone who just moved back to NJ from Florida and he got a job!

I'm not buying that old excuse.

You hate NJ, you hate the people and it's irrational. Then when you get back the vibe you put out first you blame the other person. Well, somehow you experience all these "vicious" people in NJ and I don't. Then again, I don't approach people with the mindset that they are a "type" who are "not fit to tie the shoes of the average Southerner". Give me a break. It's really no wonder that the whiners and complainers are also the one who go on and on about the "mean people" in NJ - you get what you seek.

Old 01-30-2010, 08:40 PM

1,638 posts, read 3,637,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BergenCountyJohnny View Post
How would I know? All you ever do is complain about NJ. As for me generalizing - where??? I do not generalize about people in a region. I have said repeatedly that, in my experience, people everywhere are the same and that there are the same ratios of jerks to nice people everywhere. I still stand by that. I've not only traveled this entire state and met a lot of people, but I've lived with them. I went to Rutgers, I lived in Central and North Jersey and spent many summers in South Jersey and at the shore. I've done more of it and for longer than you have. Furthermore, I've traveled the nation much, much more extensively than you have.
Yes, I complain. First of all, you act as if I had a choice in moving here when I was 30 and decided to stay for 40 years and remain bitter. I grew up in this state, moving from Illinois when I was only seven months old with my family. Obviously, I had no say. I'm a young guy. It's not as if I've stuck around for half a century. I went to school here, graduated, dabbled with some post-secondary education and some vocational training, and have been working ever since to save up for a place to live down South. That's great that you have lived all over NJ (big deal) and traveled the nation. It obviously hasn't increased your humility. Do you get satisfaction by lording your "experience" over someone half your age? I've traveled as well. I've been everywhere in the east and down South. I've been to Canada. I've been to the Caribbean. I've been to Rome, and Florence, and many rural parts of northern Italy. I want to see the rest of the 50 states in the next couple years and travel many parts of the world providing, God willing, I have the health, money, and time. That's more than many people in my graduating class at my age have/had done (because of time and money, not because they didn't want to). Your experiences mean nothing to me, as I'm not content to reach your age in such a bitter state.

Quote:
Thanks for your anecdotal experience. It conflicts with mine. I have not seen where people here are more "ignorant, or downright vicious" than people in Tennessee or any other part of the country. More abrupt, perhaps, but that's not at all the same thing as ignorant or downright vicious. If anything, I'd say I encounter more ignorance in middle America, but that has no bearing on whether the people are "nice" or "vicious"; ignorance is just ignorance. NJ is one of the best educated populaces of any state, if not the best.
You only see what you want to see, Johnny, because you accept no criticism of New Jersey and view it as some type of paradise. At least I'm willing to admit that the South also has plenty of its own problems. Every state in the union has problems (and some of your beloved states, like NJ, NY, and CA lead the rest in this regard) What matters is what problems you're more willing to live with. Like I said, I may have grew up in the suburbs, but I was anything but sheltered. I've seen every part of this state, from the richest towns in the nation, to some of the most urbanized parts of Newark, Trenton, Irvington, Vineland, etc. I've seen many areas of blight and poverty, in NYC's outer boroughs, in Baltimore, in D.C., etc., including some of my own family members who struggle daily in every region of the country. My cousin has lived in (southern) California for some 25 odd years, and has finally had enough; got laid off from his job in architecture (even though he had 6 years of schooling in the "great educated state of New Jersey" and now has to relocate with a company to Singapore for 2.5 years to be able to send money back to his family in CA just so he can pay for the house. I can tell you many other personal stories, but you probably don't care (and why should you), and I don't feel like divulging my personal life. The point is that you paint a rosy picture based on arrogance and hubris. I have never had someone invite me to their own home for lunch in NJ (obviously besides friends/family/acquaintances, but forget strangers), but that very situation occured for me in east Tennessee. The people I met in Mississippi just on any given afternoon made the average NJian look about as nice as a North Korean soldier.

Quote:
Look at your words... "a better quality of people", etc. You are the one generalizing, yet you accused me of doing it.
I admit their is fault all around. I only base my statements on my experiences. You are biased when you talk about NJ and you do people a disservice when you talk it up and paint an unrealistic picture for newcomers. I have seen it from you more than once. The reality is that if it weren't for NYC and Philadelphia, this state wouldn't have a quarter of its population and you would probably have moved to some Los Angeles suburb by now to leech off the success of that city.

[quote[You still haven't answered for your blatant hypocrisy in your last post, where you first got upset at the thought that I was attacking people because of the region they are from (I wasn't, I was being facetious [look it up]), you pontificated about it, then you turned around and did exactly what you scolded me for. Do you not see that?

That says to me that it's not any sense of fairness or morality you're interested in, but rather that you have your view and are intolerant of others to the point that you can't even see that you contradict yourself.[/quote]

See above. I admit my opinion is an opinion. You pass yourself off as some supreme authority who, again, does a disservice to this region by ignoring its problems. I'm sorry if I don't respect the views of someone who probably voted for our last Governor even though he was a criminal P.O.S. But that's the mentality up here, probably strongest in Bergen and Hudson counties. What can one expect from that snake Lautenberg's home base? People like you have made New Jersey a joke before the nation.

Quote:
It says this: You choose to live in NJ, and there is a reason. The reason, now you say, is work. Well, if LA is so great, you should be able to work there, I would think. I'm sure if I go on Monster or craigslist there will be jobs listed for LA. So, work isn't an excuse. People find work in other places all the time. I have friends who moved to North Carolina, Ohio, Seattle, L.A., Florida, and all over the nation and you know what? They found jobs!!! I know someone who just moved back to NJ from Florida and he got a job!

I'm not buying that old excuse.
Yes, I'm quite confident I will be able to as well, and I have already begun looking. But it's not an overnight process. If I said "Well I'll probably get to moving in 10 or 20 years" than you would have an argument. But a year to a year 1/2 for a young person who is trying to save money and tie up loose ends is nothing to turn your nose up at and act superior. You don't know my situation, and you never will. Typical NJ mentality - If someone can't do something in 5 minutes, toss them on the garbage heap and bring out the next brainwashed servant. You would have loved Stalinist Russia, Johnny. Of course, it was a bit too right-wing for NJ's tastes.

Quote:
You hate NJ, you hate the people and it's irrational. Then when you get back the vibe you put out first you blame the other person. Well, somehow you experience all these "vicious" people in NJ and I don't. Then again, I don't approach people with the mindset that they are a "type" who are "not fit to tie the shoes of the average Southerner". Give me a break. It's really no wonder that the whiners and complainers are also the one who go on and on about the "mean people" in NJ - you get what you seek.
I hate what this state has become, yes. There are plenty of nice towns and stuff to do. I hate the fact that when I was young a town like Belleville was considered nice, and now it is little Puerto Rico. I hate the fact that a town like IRVINGTON was considered nice when my grandparents were young and apartment searching, and now it's a warzone. I hate the mentality of building up everything here, tearing down nature, leaving us overpopulated and in constant traffic, with polluted air and water. I don't blame NJ's people for being miserable. Living here tends to have that effect on you. Hell, it did on me.

Old 01-30-2010, 09:59 PM

117 posts, read 330,833 times
California, but i guess Texas is #1 seems like they above and beyond for their state!

Old 01-30-2010, 10:27 PM

444 posts, read 1,143,597 times
[quote=nycricanpapi;12685728]Raivere,

You know why we NYers are so proud? Because no other state or city can compare to NYC. We are the fashion trendsetters (we set the fashion first and then the other states try to imitate us), we have 24 hrs public transportation which no other city have, Our skyline is one of the best, if not the best in the world, we have the best team of MLB (the Yankees), we are the most diversed city, stores are open till very late, What's not to be proud to be from the empire state (New York)?

quote]
So why do they have to move away from NYC?
Why did you have to move from NYC?
If its so great why don't they stay there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City