Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most Insecure U.S City?
New York City 12 13.79%
L.A 4 4.60%
Chicago 13 14.94%
Houston 23 26.44%
Washington D.C 1 1.15%
Boston 0 0%
Philadelphia 4 4.60%
San Francisco (Bay Area in general) 5 5.75%
Dallas/Fort Worth 3 3.45%
Atlanta 17 19.54%
Miami 1 1.15%
Other 4 4.60%
Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2010, 05:17 PM

9,328 posts, read 20,663,923 times

Advertisements

I'm surprised I am the first voter to vote for Philadelphia. The city's residents(with 4 years of experience living in the area) seem to hold the NYC area, and to a lesser degree, Washington D.C. in disdain. The city is 5th in population, yet the degree of their size is never considered on a national level. Deep down, I think Philadelphians are very conscious of this national perception. NYC is where the nation's financial heartbeat resides, and within D.C. more decisions are made that impact our lives than any other city. Sandwiched between these city climates is Philadelphia, an economy that is more blue-collar in scope. I always use Boston as a comparison stick to Philadelphia, because it is the other major city in the northeast seaboard, yet this city seems to do more with less. This too, I think, is not lost amongst Philadelphians.

Old 01-28-2010, 06:30 PM

230 posts, read 283,829 times
I live in Philly, and five or ten years ago I probably would have said it was among the most insecure, if not the most. But things have really improved in that regard here, I think. Fewer people seem to be caught up in the NYC/DC comparisons, and are more confident about what's great about city, and less likely to be baited by negative comparisons to other places. The old attitude hasn't completely disappeared but the tide is defintely turning. It's a more cosmopolitan place than it was even a decade ago. I'd really like to see the waterfront developed, the transit system made really first rate, and the airport get its act together. Among other things. But I think most Philly people there days are like, "You wanna dump on us? Whatever. Your loss. We know we have a good thing going...."

Didn't vote in the poll. Have a few opinions on cities whose posters seem a little defensive, but I'm new to the forum, and don't want to start a flame war, and generally don't like bashing other cities anyway.

Old 01-28-2010, 06:54 PM

1,694 posts, read 5,659,862 times
Oh I didn't read the thread before I voted,definitely Houston and Atlanta.

Old 01-28-2010, 06:57 PM

1,999 posts, read 10,527,238 times
Dallas is the most pretentious/phoney city in America = totally insecure.

Old 01-28-2010, 07:02 PM

4,085 posts, read 8,750,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveFrom215 View Post
I live in Philly, and five or ten years ago I probably would have said it was among the most insecure, if not the most. But things have really improved in that regard here, I think. Fewer people seem to be caught up in the NYC/DC comparisons, and are more confident about what's great about city, and less likely to be baited by negative comparisons to other places. The old attitude hasn't completely disappeared but the tide is defintely turning. It's a more cosmopolitan place than it was even a decade ago. I'd really like to see the waterfront developed, the transit system made really first rate, and the airport get its act together. Among other things. But I think most Philly people there days are like, "You wanna dump on us? Whatever. Your loss. We know we have a good thing going...."

Didn't vote in the poll. Have a few opinions on cities whose posters seem a little defensive, but I'm new to the forum, and don't want to start a flame war, and generally don't like bashing other cities anyway.
^^^^What he said...

It hasn't been like that for at least 5-10 years, I'm sure. I have lots of friends and some family who are from Philly and South Jersey and they don't hate NY. I also have tons of friends and family from North Jersey and NYC and they don't hate Philly.

The only exception, though, is when it comes to sports, but that's it.

In fact, I see more of the opposite - Philadelphians and South Jerseyans see their proximity to NY as a benefit and love to come up to visit the city once in a while. Likewise, a lot of NYers and North Jerseyans see Philly as a nice city to visit that is easy to get to and it is a relatively popular weekend getaway for us. I talk to people from Philly and they have nothing but good things to say about NYC, and people in NYC say great things about Philly.

Philadelphians are very secure about their city and don't really care or get bent out of shape when anyone says anything about Philly, and New Yorkers really don't dislike Philly, but many actually appreciate Philly (sports being the exception, along with diehard crazy sports fans who have lost a little touch with reality - but that's a minority).

Old 01-28-2010, 07:26 PM

2,352 posts, read 2,263,075 times
Well now, Houston leading the way?

Imagine that?

Old 01-28-2010, 07:32 PM

8,465 posts, read 14,896,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
Their not the only ones.

I'd say Atlanta, it seems like if someone says something remotely negative about Atlanta there's someone ready to start barking.
Yeah, but we got the goods to back it up LOSERS!

jk! ...mostly

Old 01-28-2010, 07:41 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,454,507 times
i voted SF - i sense that there's a quiet animosity not being the premier city on the west coast...

as well as not accepting any other city as being the best and brightest...

Old 01-28-2010, 07:44 PM

3,391 posts, read 8,736,216 times
Houston boosters really do seem to try too hard.....to the point where they often embarris themselves without realizing it. I know this is a Texas thing but Houston seems to have it the worst.

Old 01-28-2010, 08:06 PM

721 posts, read 1,785,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryson662001 View Post
Houston boosters really do seem to try too hard.....to the point where they often embarris themselves without realizing it. I know this is a Texas thing but Houston seems to have it the worst.
Almost as much as you did with your spelling
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City