Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2010, 02:59 PM

3 posts, read 7,156 times

Advertisements

Hey people!

So I'm coming to the States in May and staying till October and will hopefully, if I decide which state/city I'm going to, live, work and travel this summer.
I'm coming with a group of friends and we narrowed the choice down to Newport and Wildwood (don't ask me how we found the parallel ).

We are looking for some fun town, primary with lots of offers for seasonal work (we are willing to do pretty much anything), low cost rents, a decent nightlife and maybe some sandy beaches.
And from what I've heard, these cities seem to be our two best options for now, but if anyone has some other suggestions, please be welcome to speak up.

So be kind enough to take a moment and give me some basic informations about this two towns and I would be very grateful!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2010, 03:19 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,921,303 times
Can't really comment on Newport but the jersey shore as a whole has many summer workers from Eastern Europe, so you will likely find many others who come over to work, you may also want to check out other Jersey Shore towns (not all like the show on MTV) as well. Good luck and hope you enjoy wherever you decide

Jersey Shore - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 01-29-2010, 04:37 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,818,272 times
If your looking for entertainment and attractions, Wildwood is the hands down winner.
I'm not too familiar with Newport, RI though, so I'm not trying to pull you away from it.

Old 01-29-2010, 06:27 PM

3,391 posts, read 8,780,794 times
Newport is a very historic, small city with a vibrant downtown, several museums and many shops and resturants, nearby beach and a residential area with oceanfront mansions, some lived in during the summer and others historic and open to tourists. It is also a major boating center with a harbor filled with personal yachts. Wildwood is dominated by the beach and boardwalk while the rest is residential but with renters instead of owners who tend to be much lower class than Newport. Newport is champagne, Wildwood is beer. Newport is a little cooler in the summer because it is subject to ocean breezes while wildwood can get pretty hot. Also the ocean in Wildwood will be a few degrees warmer. Use www.maps.live.com to view both places using the "birdseye" feature

Old 01-29-2010, 06:31 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,921,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryson662001 View Post
Newport is a very historic, small city with a vibrant downtown, several museums and many shops and resturants, nearby beach and a residential area with oceanfront mansions, some lived in during the summer and others historic and open to tourists. It is also a major boating center with a harbor filled with personal yachts. Wildwood is dominated by the beach and boardwalk while the rest is residential but with renters instead of owners who tend to be much lower class than Newport. Newport is champagne, Wildwood is beer. Use www.maps.live.com to view both places using the "birdseye" feature
I would agree on the beer comment, but there are also other beach towns that may be more of a decent wine, maybe not champagne, plus many of the Jersey have an extremely vibrant nightlife, especially for 20 somethings, of which i am not anymore Avalon, Stone harbor, Sea Isle on the South Jersey shore, Newport is beautiful but only spent a day there, alittle stuffy at times but not sure what the poster is looking for, i would also guess more expensive to rent than the Jersy shore

Old 01-29-2010, 08:00 PM

1,694 posts, read 5,682,159 times
If you're looking for a fun,gorgeous but old money and classy place,it's gotta be Newport.

Old 01-29-2010, 08:38 PM

3,391 posts, read 8,780,794 times
Newport isn't only for rich people. Don't forget all those shops and resturants and summer mansions need people to work in them. Lawns have to be cut, boats have to be fuled, cars have to be parked. Newport also has a pretty healthy nightlife.

Old 01-31-2010, 05:19 PM

5,864 posts, read 15,244,428 times
Newport is one of my favorite beach towns. It's beautiful, historic with plenty to do. I also love attending the Newport Jazz Festival. I would definately choose Newport.

Old 02-11-2010, 06:44 AM

123 posts, read 300,779 times
Hands down Wildwood. Jersey shore rocks. Jersey shore has always been the place to be during the summer. Wayyyyyyy before MTV decided to start filming here. If your looking for fun and non stop action then pick NJ. Did I mention the great food? Dude the food is so yummy.

Old 02-11-2010, 07:54 AM

11,326 posts, read 20,332,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelbug76 View Post
Hands down Wildwood. Jersey shore rocks. Jersey shore has always been the place to be during the summer. Wayyyyyyy before MTV decided to start filming here. If your looking for fun and non stop action then pick NJ. Did I mention the great food? Dude the food is so yummy.
I fully agree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City