Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: NJ Vs. OH
NJ 125 60.39%
OH 82 39.61%
Voters: 207. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2010, 10:23 AM

1,975 posts, read 5,211,391 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden-mind-State View Post
I agree for the most part. IMO Ohio is really lacking in cool older towns,since I've been here the only one I've seen worth mentioning is Chagrin Falls,and Lake Eerie is in no way shape or form comparable to the Shore or the beach culture that comes with it. As far as Amusement parks that's not a big deal to me,I'm not a roller coaster person. And the cities in OH may be nicer than the cities in NJ but it doesn't beat living just outside of Philly or NYC. The location to the rest of the NE and SE is also a strong point with NJ for me,Ohio boarders Indiana,Pen,Kentucky and WV and where I am the closest interesting city being Pittsburgh which I love but also doesn't compare being close to some of the other metros on the East coast.
Ohio has plenty of cool older towns, but they are very much spread throughout the state. Most Ohio towns were developed around a traditional town square or main street. Admittingly, Ohio also has a lot of smaller towns with traditional cores that are run down because they are economically obsolete and isolated. Anyway, here are some good older towns that I know of:

(closer to Cleveland)
Chagrin Falls
Hudson
Medina
Oberlin
Willoughby
Peninsula
Vermilion
Wooster
Kent
Chardon
Amish country towns (Berlin, Sugarcreek, millersburg)

(around the state)
Delaware
Granville
Newark
Chillocothe
Marietta
Findley
Mt. Vernon
Lancaster
Athens
Oxford
Marblehead

I know Lake Erie is not the draw the Jersey Shore is, but if you want to see a lot of activity on Lake Erie than you should make a trip to Put-in-Bay and the Island region. A to trip this area for people in Ohio is like a weekend trip to the shore for people in New Jersey.

Last edited by 5Lakes; 02-06-2010 at 10:48 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2010, 10:32 AM

88,525 posts, read 84,719,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jknic View Post
Speaking of open space, I love driving down the many roads where I wonder, ""How' on Earth is this the most densely populated state in the nation?"
I was driving down to Ventnor once and there was an accident or something on the GSP that backed it up for hours and miles. I took the next exit wanting to move rather than sit in traffic, and figured as long as I kept going south, I'd get there.

I don't remember what road I was on, but it was very rural. I remember seeing a sign pointing toward a turn to get to Juliustown and thinking I had no idea we had a town with that name in our state. I WAS smart enough to realize that this IS still New Jersey, and that while the speed limit on the country road was 50, when I approached a town there would be a sign that said 25 with a salivating cop hiding just beyond it.

Old 02-06-2010, 11:21 AM

1,694 posts, read 5,680,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5Lakes View Post
Ohio has plenty of cool older towns, but they are very much spread throughout the state. Most Ohio towns were developed around a traditional town square or main street. Admittingly, Ohio also has a lot of smaller towns with traditional cores that are run down because they are economically obsolete and isolated. Anyway, here are some good older towns that I know of:

(closer to Cleveland)
Chagrin Falls
Hudson
Medina
Oberlin
Willoughby
Peninsula
Vermilion
Wooster
Kent
Chardon
Amish country towns (Berlin, Sugarcreek, millersburg)

(around the state)
Delaware
Granville
Newark
Chillocothe
Marietta
Findley
Mt. Vernon
Lancaster
Athens
Oxford
Marblehead

I know Lake Erie is not the draw the Jersey Shore is, but if you want to see a lot of activity on Lake Erie than you should make a trip to Put-in-Bay and the Island region. A to trip this area for people in Ohio is like a weekend trip to the shore for people in New Jersey.
Ah I can't believe I forgot Willoughby and Berlin I've been to both,I'll have to check the rest out though,thanks. And believe me I've heard a lot about Put-In-Bay just don't think I'ma go until the lake melts

Old 02-07-2010, 02:42 PM

2,106 posts, read 6,629,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
Jersey all day! Better weather, food, women, AC, beaches, mountains, sandwiched between Philly & NYC.

Ohio is kind of hillbillyish!
Hmm can't really agree. Cleveland area has amazing food.. and is known to host quite a few good Chefs at the restaurants. Mix that with the Hungarians, Italians, Arabics, Puerto Ricans, Albanians, German, Polish, etc you get some great dining.

Hillbilly? Not at all.... most people in Ohio live in urbanized areas. I'd actually say that the areas surrounding DC are more hillbilly-ish, having lived in both areas. Are there hillbilly areas? Sure, just go to southeast Ohio.. but how many people actually live in those areas? Barely any.

Oh and in terms of women, I'm not sure what you are talking about. Ohio has some amazing women, and I'm not really sure why. Cleveland are women > DC area women, by far.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyc_37 View Post
From my experiences in Ohio, the state is very culturally bland. There is a serious lack of quality eats (in NJ we are spoiled with quality of food, and the diversity of food choices).

Regarding Cleveland ... I have never been, but isn't Cleveland's crime rate higher than Newark's crime rate, per capita??

The reason it's difficult to compare NJ to other states is that NJ does not have a major city within it's borders. It's identity is closely knitted to NYC's in the northern half of the state and Philadelphia's in the southern half ... which is why NJ's culture is very, very rich ... and really, why NJ is a very wealthy state overall. Compare NJ's culture to other "suburban" states which do NOT have a major city (Delaware, Rhode Island, Connecticut). Connecticut is the most like NJ, in the sense that it has elements of 2 major cities which are nearby.
Cleveland has a high crime rate, but the surrounding area where 90% of the population lives is one of the safest. Top 20 in terms of metro safety.

And just so you know, Cleveland is one of the richest cities in terms of culture, so I don't know what you are talking about in regards to that.

Old 02-08-2010, 12:50 AM

2,653 posts, read 5,959,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeSoHood View Post
Cleveland area has amazing food.. and is known to host quite a few good Chefs at the restaurants. Mix that with the Hungarians, Italians, Arabics, Puerto Ricans, Albanians, German, Polish, etc you get some great dining.
Now multiply that by even more ethnic groups & you will understand the food culture in NJ. Dishes of all sorts are spread out, from all around the globe, in a small state.
An example:
I LOVE Peruvian fried rice...................... I swore up & down that MY PLACE (where I frequented) served the best in the Garden State. I have visited quite a few Peruvian restaurants & take out spots. Through a friend of a friend I was introduced to a place that served an equal dish.
It made me truly realize that cuisine runs deep in the state of New Jersey.
When people are arguing about the quality of Peruvian fried rice, that says something.

Last edited by openheads; 02-08-2010 at 01:06 AM..

Old 02-08-2010, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by openheads View Post
Now multiply that by even more ethnic groups & you will understand the food culture in NJ. Dishes of all sorts are spread out, from all around the globe, in a small state.
An example:
I LOVE Peruvian fried rice...................... I swore up & down that MY PLACE (where I frequented) served the best in the Garden State. I have visited quite a few Peruvian restaurants & take out spots. Through a friend of a friend I was introduced to a place that served an equal dish.
It made me truly realize that cuisine runs deep in the state of New Jersey.
When people are arguing about the quality of Peruvian fried rice, that says something.
Haha, I just listed a few ethnicity... I'm saying, there are dishes here in Cleveland too from all around the globe. And there IS great food here.

I eat Peruvian Rice all the time btw(well not ALL the time, but I've had it before), my neighborhood in Cleveland has a substantial amount of Peruvians. My post was essentially stating, that most people know nothing about Ohio... that's it. I understand NJ is very diverse culturally and has great food, never disputed that!

Old 02-08-2010, 12:39 PM

3,844 posts, read 9,281,289 times
I will give you the extreme mix of culture in New Jersey...I'm guessing similar demographics as even NYC. Cleveland has a couple celebrity chefs its arsenal, including Iron Chef Michael Symon.

Since we are talking about everything...!

Columbus adds a major young people/college vibe with "the Ohio State University" (1st or 2nd largest in the nation...not sure where it is at this year). NHL Hockey too.

Canton adds the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

Sandusky has Cedar Point.

Cleveland has the biggest culture, Lebron James, 3 major sports teams, Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, Major museums, concert venues, orchestras, music scene (Kid Cudi most recently), attributes every major city has...

Cincinnati adds a 2.2 million people metro...rolling hills, 2 major sports teams, similar to Cleveland with major city attributes

Ohio has a longer "coastline" than jersey (i know, i know just a "lake",,,) more scenary in the sticks (Appalachian foothills, Amish Country, Ohio River, farmland etc), 27 Fortune 500 companies, 8 Division 1 football teams

Jersey has more diversity, density, coastal/beach culture, more money?, next to NYC and other eastcoast cities!!!, older/more history, 21 Fortune 500 companies, better public Transportation

Last edited by costello_musicman; 02-08-2010 at 12:54 PM..

Old 02-08-2010, 06:09 PM

924 posts, read 1,643,834 times
I find very little to like in Ohio. Maybe because it's lacking in scenic beauty which is of high importance to me? I don't know, but I don't see anything that's distinctive about the state. It doesn't help that I live in a very affluent suburb and get to deal with tons of 'characters'

I didn't vote though seeing as I've never been to Jersey.

Old 02-08-2010, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llewelyn View Post
I find very little to like in Ohio. Maybe because it's lacking in scenic beauty which is of high importance to me? I don't know, but I don't see anything that's distinctive about the state. It doesn't help that I live in a very affluent suburb and get to deal with tons of 'characters'

I didn't vote though seeing as I've never been to Jersey.
Where have you been in Ohio that is lacking scenery? I'm extremely interested. There are far too many scenic areas to even begin mentioning.

Old 02-08-2010, 07:17 PM

924 posts, read 1,643,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeSoHood View Post
Where have you been in Ohio that is lacking scenery? I'm extremely interested. There are far too many scenic areas to even begin mentioning.
Well I grew up in California and had alot of experience with the western portion of the US, so we probably have different views on "scenic beauty". For example, I'm awed by mountains and I love the ocean, but lakes bore me. Perhaps you could suggest some of the more scenic places that I haven't seen yet that impress you?

The scenic beauty is entirely my subjective take on Ohio, as well as the East (except Maine) and Midwest in general
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City