Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: NJ Vs. OH
NJ 125 60.39%
OH 82 39.61%
Voters: 207. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2010, 10:33 PM

1,643 posts, read 4,434,216 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by openheads View Post
Ewww............ I hate those big meanies in NJ. They told the truth & made me feel bad about myself.
The truth??? People are so far detached from reality there... I've never been to a place where people walk right up to you and call you a "fa**ot" for no reason whatsoever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2010, 11:04 PM

2,653 posts, read 5,959,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interpol76 View Post
The truth??? People are so far detached from reality there... I've never been to a place where people walk right up to you and call you a "fa**ot" for no reason whatsoever.
Wha?????
That has never, ever happened to me once living in the state of NJ. I've been all around the state many times over & have yet to experience such an event.
I guess I'm just one of the luck ones, huh?

Old 01-31-2010, 11:10 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,324,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interpol76 View Post
Watch the Jersey Shore much?

I've never seen anything like that in my life anywhere let alone NJ, somebody would've got fire smacked out of them (that's just me though).

Old 01-31-2010, 11:35 PM

1,638 posts, read 3,637,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post
Do state your reasoning's.

I prefer NJ not only because it's my home, but because it's on the ocean, it has better cities (in terms of their economy), and it's a more affluent state as a whole.
Taxes are NJ's damper.
I realize you stated this was economic, but I'm surprised you would even go there as the cities are generally thought of as NJ's weakest point. I'll confess to not really being too familiar with Ohio, but from what I have seen, Cleveland, Cincinnati, and Columbus are leagues ahead of Newark, Trenton, and certainly Camden.

As for the the subject of the thread, I'll admit this is a bit of a sticky issue for me. Obviously I have many problems with New Jersey's current state of affairs, but I'm not sure Ohio is much better in this regard, and their weather is most likely worse. If forced to choose, I would probably just take New Jersey and move somewhere in South Jersey. Ohio doesn't really appeal to me and I feel there are much more interesting states in the Midwest (Such as Michigan or Indiana, even Wisconsin)

Old 01-31-2010, 11:52 PM

1,604 posts, read 3,884,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5Lakes View Post
Definitely two states that catch a lot of crap due to ignorance. Both states have a lot of people and amenities. I'm going homer on this one and picking Ohio since I was born & raised there, but New Jersey is actually one of my favorite states.
Very true post, and that's probably how a lot of votes are going to go, to people's home state.

As for NJ's cities, excluding Camden, they are still job centers, especially Jersey City and the "Gold Coast" They are also accessible from from all parts of the state. There isn't a singe part of the state that isn't commuting distance from one of NJ's major cities/job centers.

Old 02-01-2010, 12:58 AM

7,731 posts, read 13,426,216 times
New Jersey.

Old 02-01-2010, 01:25 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,845,984 times
The one thing i love about my state , is your never an hour away form something pleasant. Like the Jersey Shore or NJ Gold Coast, and Philly & NYC are your neighbors Or that NJ has Mountains , Rivers , long stretches of Coastal relaxation Its a shame that ppl who watch TV or have never visited NJ form a negative opinion about us. Newark isn't a dangerous city anymore , Jersey City isn't a dump anymore. I hate ppl who drive along the NJTPK and think the refinery's represent the whole state in our Urban Image, if you go 4 miles inland you will see are charming areas.

~Corey

Old 02-01-2010, 02:02 AM

1,638 posts, read 3,637,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
The one thing i love about my state , is your never an hour away form something pleasant. Like the Jersey Shore or NJ Gold Coast, and Philly & NYC are your neighbors Or that NJ has Mountains , Rivers , long stretches of Coastal relaxation Its a shame that ppl who watch TV or have never visited NJ form a negative opinion about us. Newark isn't a dangerous city anymore , Jersey City isn't a dump anymore. I hate ppl who drive along the NJTPK and think the refinery's represent the whole state in our Urban Image, if you go 4 miles inland you will see are charming areas.

~Corey
Newark is dangerous in most areas and Jersey City is still dumpy in many areas, although some areas of Jersey City are nice and it has gotten better over the years. Newark was still in the top 25 dangerous U.S. cities list for 2009 (at #24).

Old 02-01-2010, 02:06 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,845,984 times
We crime is going down so in 10 years if it continues , it will be below Average in the crime dept and Newark is starting to grow, so thats good news. Companies are starting to invest in Newark , becuz Jersey City is full , not really anywhere you can build something.

Old 02-01-2010, 05:58 AM

5,251 posts, read 13,810,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeSoHood View Post
Yea true... and if I had to live anywhere in Jersey, it'd be Union County (I believe?). It looks almost entirely like the area of Cleveland I live in.. kinda cool.

Ohio comes off as being blah, for those who have never been there or don't know where to go. 11 million people live there for a reason. Cleveland is anything but blah, and I can point you in the right direction if you want to visit.

36 Hours - Cleveland - NYTimes.com
Cleveland rocks - The Sun Chronicle Online - Features

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMno6St_hk8
You reminded me, NJ & OH both arguably have some of the best amusement parks in the nation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City