Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which has a more pedestrian friendly downtown?
Phoenix 15 26.32%
Sacramento 42 73.68%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2010, 07:41 PM

1,694 posts, read 5,682,777 times

Advertisements

I think SAC is more comfortable as a walking city as well,way more trees,and not as hot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2010, 07:45 PM

3,995 posts, read 10,019,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden-mind-State View Post
I think SAC is more comfortable as a walking city as well,way more trees,and not as hot.
I'll give you that. In the summer, walking around Phoenix (for those not accustomed to and dislike the heat) can be rather "difficult!"

Old 02-02-2010, 07:49 PM

1,694 posts, read 5,682,777 times
Yeah I remember the first time I went to a Diamondback's game and came out of the nice cool stadium and actually got hit with a breeze of hotness,and a couple years back when my sister was in school there and it was 80 degrees on Thanksgiving. Downtown was pretty dead then too,but since it's little renaissance has gotten a lot better. Sacramento is under going a Renaissance right now so hopefully it gets even better.

Old 04-11-2011, 01:20 PM

292 posts, read 753,071 times
Sacramento, easily

Old 04-11-2011, 11:37 PM

181 posts, read 302,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcorrales80 View Post
No comparison; downtown Phoenix. While there are a couple streets here and there in Tucson, mainly 4th Ave and Sacramento having a smallish downtown as well, downtown Phoenix has 14,000 residents, an Arts District along Roosevelt Row, a CBD (central business district), an arena, stadium, amazing convention center, new high-rises with shopping, nightclubs, grocery stores, a downtown Public Market/Farmers Market, light rail, free downtown DASH bus service, and the list goes on.

There is nothing comparable in Tucson or Sac-town. Tempe isn't really walkable "downtown" as that area is north of Town Lake, but its HUGE university district, Mill District, Maple/Ash, and Town Lake districts all mesh into one HUGE urban zone that makes it extremely walkable. Scottsdale also has a MUCH larger Old Town/Downtown area compared to Sacramento's. There are more residents in downtown Scottsdale alone and the urban districts in Tempe alone than Sacramento.
Arenas, stadiums, and convention centres don't make downtowns more pedestrian-friendly. In fact, 9 times out of 10 they are LESS pedestrian-friendly than what would otherwise be there without these massive facilities that aren't even used every day taking up 10s of acres.

Old 04-11-2011, 11:44 PM

181 posts, read 302,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcorrales80 View Post
It actually IS bigger than downtown Phoenix. What most people confuse for Phoenix as "downtown" are the historic districts and ALL the high-rise corridors of downtown/midtown/uptown. However, all these together make a walkable, pedestrian friendly area larger than downtown Sac, Tuc, and Alb combined...
Oh please. You think the Central Avenue corridor is "pedestrian friendly"? You've obviously never left Arizona if that's what you think. It is a super-wide, high (auto) speed road with more cars than pedestrians. There are parking lots everywhere, and single-story individual stores and restaurants. Some of the buildings don't even have retail. It is as far from pedestrian friendly as you can possibly get.

Old 11-30-2012, 02:17 PM

1,018 posts, read 1,851,107 times
I'm going to restart this to ask whether things are any different now that the light rail line has opened in Phoenix. I've been to Sacramento a number of times, I think it has a decent downtown, especially for a Central Valley city. The really nice area is the adjacent residential/restaurant district of Midtown. I've never been to Phoenix.

Old 07-31-2013, 02:26 PM

443 posts, read 878,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlite View Post
I'm going to restart this to ask whether things are any different now that the light rail line has opened in Phoenix. I've been to Sacramento a number of times, I think it has a decent downtown, especially for a Central Valley city. The really nice area is the adjacent residential/restaurant district of Midtown. I've never been to Phoenix.
From what I hear it's improved since the light rail, but Downtown Phoenix is still not as pedestrian friendly as downtown Sac.

Old 07-31-2013, 06:24 PM

979 posts, read 2,094,390 times
By far Downtown Sac. Downtown Sacramento streets are narrow and tree-lined; weather is comfortable pretty much year around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City