Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer?
Washington, D.C. 96 50.53%
Toronto 94 49.47%
Voters: 190. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 08:04 PM

196 posts, read 614,040 times

Advertisements

In the DC vs. Ottawa thread, somebody said that DC was better matched with a larger Canadian city like Toronto or Montreal. Quite so. DC and Toronto have similar sized metros; both are around five million. If you compare the Washington-Baltimore metro with the Golden Horseshoe, they both have close to eight million people.

DC and Toronto also have a lot of things in common as cities proper. Toronto is Canada's financial capital and Washington is the US's governmental capital, so they're both filled with educated professionals and have a white-collar reputation. They also have a lot of international diversity. Finally, there's a certain similarity in their architecture--a lot of Victorian residences in both cities.

So--which one wins in terms of culture, urban vibrancy, quality of life, importance, beauty, things to do? In your most humble opinions, of course.

Old 02-01-2010, 08:19 PM

1,359 posts, read 3,720,564 times
Toronto's great (one of the top 10 cities in NA in my opinion), but I prefer DC. I've been to Toronto many times since I have family there, and it's really the only place I've been to in Canada besides Niagara Falls.

I've found Toronto to be well layed out and clean with good transportation options, great diversity, and plenty to do downtown. That said, the same goes for DC, but there's more here that you can't find elsewhere than in Toronto (monuments, Smithsonians, WH etc.).

The one thing Toronto has over DC is probably the lack of serious crime or really troubled areas (relative to other cities in the US and Canada). They might have crime problems, but I've never really heard of it. There are some really bad parts of DC, like a lot of the SE quadrant, but the city has vastly improved in that regard since the 80's when it was the "murder capital." DC's now one of the most high end cities in the country along with Boston and San Fran.

Old 02-02-2010, 06:23 PM

2,593 posts, read 4,653,104 times
Default boredatwork

The advantage Toronto has is the low crime other than that its a little too north for my comfort....plus D.C is a proud city to be from

Old 02-02-2010, 06:57 PM

3,635 posts, read 10,741,556 times
Toronto by far. Much bigger, more diverse, better skyline, cleaner, safer.

Climate is one of the only advantages DC has over Toronto IMO

Old 02-02-2010, 08:31 PM

3,546 posts, read 8,560,030 times
If Toronto were farther south, this would be a lot more difficult. (Although with the amount of snow DC is getting this year, it's beginning to feel like Toronto.)

One thing I will never understand, however, is why the presence of tall buildings in any way makes a city superior to another. No, DC proper doesn't have skyscrapers...but so what? I grew up in a city that had them (Columbus, OH) and DC has 100x the life and vitality downtown as Columbus does. Tall buildings can be nice to look at, but by themselves they really don't add to the urban fabric of the city.

Old 02-02-2010, 08:35 PM

3,546 posts, read 8,560,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpterp View Post
There are some really bad parts of DC, like a lot of the SE quadrant, but the city has vastly improved in that regard since the 80's when it was the "murder capital." DC's now one of the most high end cities in the country along with Boston and San Fran.
It's really been quite a stunning transformation, in a pretty short period of time. Back in the early 80s, many people still viewed DC as a culturally deprived backwater.

Old 02-03-2010, 08:59 AM

6,963 posts, read 20,529,863 times
i like both. both are diverse with a lot to do. and i'm partial to skyscrapers, but the weather is the deciding factor.
T.O and Canada in general is way too cold for me.

so DC

Old 02-03-2010, 09:08 AM

2,531 posts, read 6,247,715 times
Dang, I LOVE both of these cities. Since I'm a child of the Sunbelt, even DC's winters can be a bit cold for me, but it's nothing that I can't handle. If it wasn't for the Winter, my answer would be Toronto, hands down. But both have their strengths and weaknesses in my mind. I will say that even though Toronto is expensive by Canadian standards, it's a bit cheaper than DC.

Old 02-03-2010, 09:15 AM

1,595 posts, read 2,986,225 times
Toronto hands down for me. Cleaner, safer, easier to get around and better weather. DC gets too hot for my taste.
Plus it is closer to Michigan where I live and Quebec where I would like to live.

Old 02-03-2010, 09:55 AM

5,391 posts, read 7,227,765 times
I've only visited Toronto, and I've lived in DC.

So I pick DC. I did not find anything visually interesting in Toronto. I like Montreal better. Granted, I didn't see much of it even though I drove around to different areas, so a new visit might change my impression.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.