Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2010, 08:43 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,888,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
do you think Phoenix will still be popular.

I am not being sarcastic or anything.

Just seeking your opinion.

AC helped the south develop, maybe something will develop that would make dessert living more attractive.

But then again 100 years ago, there were zero sunbelt cities in the top 10, now there are 7. So things could change.

Why do you think Phoenix will still be strong in population?

But the sunbelt cities are all in because of the size of their cities boundaries, a fairer comment would be 3 of the 10 largest metros, not 7
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2010, 08:47 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,929,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
But the sunbelt cities are all in because of the size of their cities boundaries, a fairer comment would be 3 of the 10 largest metros, not 7

lol every city grew by annexation. Lets not forget that Philly holds the record.

it is 7 of the largest cities. there are no stats for metros from back then

Old 08-21-2010, 08:51 PM

Quote:
lol every city grew by annexation. Lets not forget that Philly holds the record.

it is 7 of the largest cities. there are no stats for metros from back then

Dude Philly is 134 sq miles, Houston is 600, Pheonix is 900? San Antonio dunno Texas Sized - those numbers are irrelevant

Stick with the 3 of the top ten, 7 is a statistical smoke and mirrors

Old 08-21-2010, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Dude Philly is 134 sq miles, Houston is 600, Pheonix is 900? San Antonio dunno Texas Sized - those numbers are irrelevant
Stick with the 3 of the top ten, 7 is a statistical smoke and mirrors

I think you have repeated these figure so often on here that there is no longer any need to repeat them.

You have made your point the next time you repeat them you are getting an electrode shock from my magic wand.

lol, I don't even know why you are arguing this here. You seem to insert it anywhere Kinda like how Ladarron inserted his Dallas everywhere

Old 08-21-2010, 09:06 PM

Quote:
I think you have repeated these figure so often on here that there is no longer any need to repeat them.

You have made your point the next time you repeat them you are getting an electrode shock from my magic wand.

lol, I don't even know why you are arguing this here. You seem to insert it anywhere Kinda like how Ladarron inserted his Dallas everywhere

I am just providing balance and perspective, you statemtn makes it seem as though 7 of the largest cities/metros in the US are in the Sunbelt, that would be highly innacurate, but you are right it is silly to argue about city population, there is not real metric to compare - their sizes range widely

I have longer posts with more misspellings than good ol' Lada, I liked the original Lada better anyway - by the way the wand thing sounds agressive, send it to Waronxmas, his name sounds agressive, mine is just a kid

Old 08-21-2010, 09:10 PM

Quote:
I am just providing balance and perspective, you statemtn makes it seem as though 7 of the largest cities/metros in the US are in the Sunbelt, that would be highly innacurate,

where are

LA
Houston
Phoenix
SA
DAllas
SAn Diego
and San Jose located then if not in the sun belt? hmmmmmmm?

Old 08-22-2010, 08:11 AM

Quote:
where are

LA
Houston
Phoenix
SA
DAllas
SAn Diego
and San Jose located then if not in the sun belt? hmmmmmmm?
Well one CA to me is West Coast for one, even said only 3 from you list are top 10 metros and LA as an urban space is the only one I would consider a top "10" city but again that is on feel

I mean honestly do you feel San Antonio is larger than Boston? yes the city population hocus pocus would say so, my point

Old 08-22-2010, 09:18 AM

you can feel what ever you want but any idiot knows that Los Angeles is a sunbelt city. The sunbelt doesn't mean Texas. It is a belt that stretches all across the country from the west coast to the east coast.

San Jose might me the only one that may be a bit too far north to be considered a sunbelt city.

Old 08-22-2010, 09:39 AM

2,155 posts, read 4,579,291 times
Those are definitely sunbelt cities. Southern CA is definitely in the sunbelt.

Old 08-22-2010, 11:52 AM

1,250 posts, read 2,516,240 times
Generally sunbelt cities are not so much based on latitude but more based on development patterns and when most of it occured. They tended to be smaller cities and metros that had most of its growth after 1945. There are a number of cities in the sunbelt states that aren't sunbelt cities and in some cases more similar to the rust belt in terms of stagnation to decline along with large standing social issues. Those cities tend to be West of the Atlantic coast states and East of Texas. Why this section didn't prosper while places West and East did is something that needs to be explained. The closest guess is related to being the states that tended to resist change the most, especially relating to the Civil Rights Era.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City