Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2014, 03:31 PM

2,029 posts, read 2,363,210 times

Advertisements

United Van lines just came out with their 2014 annual Migration findings, and came to the conclusion that 'Americans are leaving the sun belt and west coast for the Midwest and Northeast". The study based on their moves of long distance transfers, I guess, and indicate that this year Chicago, Washington D.C. and Atlanta are the top moving destinations. Their list looks like this:

Top 10 Metros to move to:

1. Chicago
2. Washington D.C.
3. Atlanta
4. Boston
5. Los Angeles
6. Dallas
7. Phoenix
8. New York
9. Minneapolis
10. San Diego

Top 10 Metros people are moving from:

1. Washington D.C.
2. Dallasd
3. Atlanta
4. Houston
5. Phoenix
6. Chicago
7. Seattle
8. Los Angeles
9. Denver
10. San Jose

I thought this was pretty interesting, the full list is on their website.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2014, 08:48 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,954,464 times
Transient towns. Surprised to not see Miami on the list.

Old 09-13-2014, 08:53 AM

7,271 posts, read 10,603,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justabystander View Post
United Van lines just came out with their 2014 annual Migration findings, and came to the conclusion that 'Americans are leaving the sun belt and west coast for the Midwest and Northeast". The study based on their moves of long distance transfers, I guess, and indicate that this year Chicago, Washington D.C. and Atlanta are the top moving destinations. Their list looks like this:

Top 10 Metros to move to:

1. Chicago
2. Washington D.C.
3. Atlanta
4. Boston
5. Los Angeles
6. Dallas
7. Phoenix
8. New York
9. Minneapolis
10. San Diego

Top 10 Metros people are moving from:

1. Washington D.C.
2. Dallasd
3. Atlanta
4. Houston
5. Phoenix
6. Chicago
7. Seattle
8. Los Angeles
9. Denver
10. San Jose

I thought this was pretty interesting, the full list is on their website.
Interestingly, when you consider net-migration, the major Northeast Corridor metros (aside from DC) were cited as ranking the highest -- which seems to contradict conventional wisdom of long-held North-to-South/East-to-West migration patterns:

"Although Washington, D.C. tops the list for highest volume of outbound moves, it also had the second highest volume of residents moving into the metro area due to the fact that it is a transient city with a high number of people coming and going. Many cities that are experiencing growth - more people moving into the metropolitan region than out - were in the Northeast, including New York, Boston and Philadelphia. The Midwest region saw considerable growth, including high volumes of millennial moves to cities such as Chicago, St. Louis and Minneapolis. The cities experiencing the biggest moving deficit - more people moving out than in - were along the West Coast (San Jose, Portland and Seattle) and in Texas (Houston and Dallas)."

http://www.unitedvanlines.com/mover/...nd-atlanta.htm

Old 09-13-2014, 09:16 AM

2,029 posts, read 2,363,210 times
Default Exactly

That is exactly why this study is so interesting; for the first time in three years Chicago has more coming into the area than out as far as migration ( far more in fact ) and the Northeast, especially Boston, is ramping up growth. This could be a blip, or could be due to other factors such as employment trends; both Chicago and Boston have a growing technology sector, which may be coming at the expense of higher cost San Jose and San Francisco, which is also noticeably off the list as far as people, especially millenials, moving to, maybe because of cost of living.

The Texas towns that are experiencing losses, Dallas and Houston, are surprising considering all the attention they receive as far as growth, and if the trends continue, affect the conclusion that Hoston will surpass Chicago in population and that Dallas will eclipse others directly ahead of it. Also surprising is Seattle, which gets alot of attention as well.

Old 09-13-2014, 09:28 AM

5,525 posts, read 13,955,364 times
This is stats from one professional moving company. While it is likely to be representative of people/families who hire professional movers, it excludes people who rent Uhauls or simply pack up their car.

The class of people/families who hire professional movers will tend to have higher than average incomes, more educated than average, and more likely to be employed by large corporations than average.

Thus, while it seems reasonable that there are more upper-income folks moving to Chicago than Houston, I also have no doubt that there are more people overall moving to Houston than Chicago.

Old 09-13-2014, 09:57 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,970,495 times
Are you all really putting a lot of stock into the numbers produced by a single moving company? Smh...

Old 09-13-2014, 12:37 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,970,037 times
I deleted my post, where I factually (with supported data) challenged this report on last years findings, they were off by so so so much compared to census numbers. The top two cities they claimed people were moving to last year ended up being out of the top ten when the census data came out. Same thing for their report the year before.

I wont be hostile about it at this moment but I'll keep this report in mind in six months when the new metropolitan estimates come out. I'll keep this very close in mind when I look at those numbers then.

Old 09-13-2014, 01:21 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,970,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red John View Post
I deleted my post, where I factually (with supported data) challenged this report on last years findings, they were off by so so so much compared to census numbers. The top two cities they claimed people were moving to last year ended up being out of the top ten when the census data came out. Same thing for their report the year before.

I wont be hostile about it at this moment but I'll keep this report in mind in six months when the new metropolitan estimates come out. I'll keep this very close in mind when I look at those numbers then.
It will be wrong when the estimates come out; that's almost certain. When it comes to domestic migration in raw numbers, if Houston and DFW aren't in the top five, then the list can easily be dismissed.

Old 09-13-2014, 01:29 PM

4,582 posts, read 8,976,920 times
There are also quite a few more variables left out of a simple moving van list like this.

Old 09-13-2014, 04:22 PM

7,829 posts, read 11,792,339 times
#5 Los Angeles?

I would NOT move to anywhere in Los Angeles. Unless you have a VERY good job paying mega bucks you are going to be miserable here and have a very subpar life. When you see all the great things about LA they fail to mention that it is only for those with pots of money... the rest life a miserable hand to mouth existence.

In addition many business are moving out of California, Toyota was the latest to move from LA to Dallas/Ft. Worth. A few years ago Nissan moved from LA to Tennessee. More will follow since this state has the nation's most anti-business climate. California also has a myriad of budgetary problems due to it being a welfare (liberal) state. CA has unfunded obligations in the form of government pensions that are absolutely staggering. Who is going to pay for all that is anyone's guess
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City