Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2010, 03:19 PM

882 posts, read 2,244,621 times

Advertisements

Houston should be no.1 for the south, simply because it has the largest economy on the south.

But If you want to go into variables like image or recognition, then you could argue that Atlanta or Dallas can be no.1.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2010, 03:30 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,300,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
Lol I did the same for the same reason.

btw: whoever repped me with this

I guess the nations biggest port in terms of volume, tonnage, and bulk cargo isn't too important, neither is the majority of the oil that is controlled from offices in Houston. Very important, but usually just over looked. Thanks for the rep, but if you disagree with me.. this is a discussion forum, just reply to my post.

I got the same rep, someone repped me and said, D.C. isn't South. Thanks for the rep, but D.C. is South. I'm curious why people don't consider it Southern.

Old 02-05-2010, 03:31 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,300,881 times
Quote:
Northeast:
1. New York (Biggest City, Financial)
2. Boston (Education/Research)
3. D.C. (Federal)
4. Philadelphia (Historical)
5. Baltimore (?)

South:
*. Atlanta (Media, Health, Entertainment)
*. Dallas (?)
*. Houston (Energy, Research, Medical)
*. Miami (International Business)
*. Charlotte (Banking)
*. New Orleans (Oil, Shipping)

Midwest:
1. Chicago

West:
1. Los Angeles (Media)
2. San Francisco (Technology)
3. Seattle (?)

Somebody will argue with you about the order you put them in even though you didn't number them.
I really like this lists. I find your commentary on the Midwest to be hillarious. Why don't you feel any other city in the Midwest should be on the list? At least even Detroit and Minneapolis.

Old 02-05-2010, 03:43 PM

1,160 posts, read 2,959,048 times
Northeast:
1. New York
2. Washington
3. Boston
4. Philadelphia
5. Pittsburgh

South:
1. Atlanta
2. Dallas
3. Miami
4. Houston
5. Charlotte

Midwest:
1. Chicago
2. Minneapolis
3. Detroit
4. St. Louis
5. Cleveland

West:
1. LA
2. San Francisco
3. Seattle
4. Phoenix
5. Denver

Old 02-05-2010, 05:17 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,452,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
I got the same rep, someone repped me and said, D.C. isn't South. Thanks for the rep, but D.C. is South. I'm curious why people don't consider it Southern.
I wasn't the one that repped you...but Washington DC isn't Southern. It's not Northeastern either. It's Mid-Atlantic.

Old 02-05-2010, 05:26 PM

4,230 posts, read 10,481,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
I wasn't the one that repped you...but Washington DC isn't Southern. It's not Northeastern either. It's Mid-Atlantic.
According to most people it isn't, but according to the U.S. Census Bureau it is. Definitely not culturally, but the Feds say that it is regionally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
I really like this lists. I find your commentary on the Midwest to be hillarious. Why don't you feel any other city in the Midwest should be on the list? At least even Detroit and Minneapolis.
That comes from my ignorance of the midwest. Outside of Chicago and Detroit, I don't really know what goes on in the midwest. Whenever I see the midwest mentioned in the media it's always Detroit or Chicago being mentioned.

Old 02-05-2010, 05:55 PM

4,927 posts, read 14,210,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Northeast
1 New York
2 Washington
3 Boston
4 Philadelphia
You have a city which represents the 9th largest GDP in the entire world, #4 in its own region?

Whew!

http://www.citymayors.com/statistics...ties-2005.html

Old 02-05-2010, 06:13 PM

882 posts, read 2,244,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
You have a city which represents the 9th largest GDP in the entire world, #4 in its own region?

Whew!

City Mayors reviews the richest cities in the world in 2005
That's outdated. As of 2008, Philly has the 7th largest economy in the US. So I'm pretty sure that a lot of cities have surpassed Philly economically, nationally and globabally. It is not 9th largest in the world for sure, now, though.

(Those stats are from 2005)

This is more accurate, and from the Bureau of Economic Analysis.
http://www.bea.gov/newsreleases/regi..._metro0909.pdf

Back in 2005, Philly had the 4th largest GAP in the US, and now Houston has the 4th largest.
Houston was the 17th largest in the world, so I wonder if it cracked the top 10 globally?

But I agree with you, Philly should not be #4 in the NE.

Old 02-05-2010, 06:13 PM

1,638 posts, read 3,637,264 times
Quote:
According to most people it isn't, but according to the U.S. Census Bureau it is. Definitely not culturally, but the Feds say that it is regionally.
Look, I wasn't the one that repped, but this issue is a bit silly. There's two ways of looking at this: What is on paper and what is reality. According to the U.S. Census Bureau, Delaware is a Southern state. I guarantee that if you took a poll in any of the Southern state forms asking whether or not they consider Delaware a Southern state, the answer would overwhelmingly be "NO". The very idea is laughable. Yes, the antiquated and archaic U.S. Census says different (according to the civil war era Mason-Dixon line!), but reality is that D.C., Delaware, and Maryland are about as Southern as New York and New Jersey.

Old 02-05-2010, 06:16 PM

4,230 posts, read 10,481,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReluctantGardenStater View Post
Look, I wasn't the one that repped, but this issue is a bit silly.
Hey, I wasn't in that one.
All I was doing was explaining how one can see it either way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City