Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2010, 03:03 AM

1,346 posts, read 4,213,285 times

Advertisements

The US Census Bureau doesn't even list DC as Mid Atlantic. I thought most people at least agreed on that. Even on the weather channel they call it that. Also I don't know one person in DC that has ever called it a southern city. There's nothing southern about it.

Like someone else mentioned, this isn't the Civil War Era anymore. Who cares about the Mason Dixon line. That was over 100 years ago! Things change. Are you sure DC is should even be called the Nation's Capital? Because at one point it wasn't and apparently that's all that matters to some people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2010, 03:14 AM

7,845 posts, read 20,801,231 times
Why is the regional designation of Washington D.C. such an issue for some people? It is not the topic of this thread, and the OP even stipulated D.C.'s location for the purposes of the thread.

It's a very trivial topic that seems to be really important to a very few people. Who cares?

Old 02-07-2010, 03:19 AM

1,346 posts, read 4,213,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
Why is the regional designation of Washington D.C. such an issue for some people? It is not the topic of this thread, and the OP even stipulated D.C.'s location for the purposes of the thread.

It's a very trivial topic that seems to be really important to a very few people. Who cares?
I've said that before too, but it matters to some people I guess. I asked if once you cross an imaginary line if people and culture were supposed to magically change. Crossing the line between North and South isn't anymore different than crossing a state, or even city line, from one northern city to another.

Example: Georgia and Florida are just as different as Georgia and Pennsylvania. Citywise, Atlanta and Orlando are just as different as Atlanta and Philly.

Old 02-07-2010, 03:42 AM

1,638 posts, read 3,637,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post

I never really used to care, but it's just one of those claims (that D.C. is Southern) that I find so false and inaccurate, yet it is repeated just often enough to be irritating.

I usually take the attitude that "opinions are opinions", but anyone who sees D.C. as an actual Southern city is a bit sick in the head. New York City is about as Southern.

Old 02-07-2010, 03:41 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,860,458 times
DC is geographically Southern using the Mason-Dixon line as a border, but not culturally Southern, although it has a few trace elements of Southern culture. I should everyone can at least agree on that, so let's move on now.

Old 02-07-2010, 04:45 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,788,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westbanknola View Post
playing it safe, huh?
lol

Old 02-07-2010, 06:09 PM

631 posts, read 1,227,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Well in media, Atlanta does beat Dallas and Houston in that regards. No denying that. But media shouldn't be the only reason to put Atlanta higher than Dallas when it comes to culture. Arts, museums, entertainment (whether it be popular or not) should be used as well. This is where Houston and Dallas closes the gap. Not to say that Atlanta does not have those three things themselves. But this is where Houston shines and Dallas has made some ground with their new arts district.

Politically, you are correct in both assertions in civil rights and with the others no longer in power. But Houston is still a political power mostly because of it's number one industry.

Economically, they are nearly all the same. But Houston and Dallas has a higher GDP and more fortune 500 companies. Atlanta and Dallas has a more diverse economy but Houston has the larger and more powerful industry out of the three and Houston is rapidly diversifying it's economy. I think these three cities plus Miami are closer to each other in the South than the other regions. It's just that the region is so big, vast, and broad. I do agree that Atlanta covers a much larger area of the South than Miami, Dallas, and Houston. Business wise, I would have to say that Houston comes out on top Regionally, Nationally, and Internationally due to Oil, the ports, and the largest medical district in the world.

Well they all sound the same too me someone beats someone in some catergory

Old 02-07-2010, 07:24 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,519,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RudeBoy21 View Post
Well they all sound the same too me someone beats someone in some catergory
That's my point. Which is why I said all three cities including Miami are 1a 1b 1c 1d. The South is basically the only region without a dominate powerhouse.

Old 02-07-2010, 09:43 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,836,877 times
So in 2025 when DFW will be on the verge of esclipsing Chicago for the 3rd largest metro area in the country will it be considered the regional center powerhouse. DFW need to get it together and form an identity and some pride. DFW is the largest metro area in the south by a healthy margin and 4th largest in the country. This is begining to really tick me off. I am puzzled that Dallas/Fort Worth metro has added more residents than any metro since 2000 but people are puzzled about what it offers.

Old 02-07-2010, 10:04 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,860,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
So in 2025 when DFW will be on the verge of esclipsing Chicago for the 3rd largest metro area in the country will it be considered the regional center powerhouse. DFW need to get it together and form an identity and some pride. DFW is the largest metro area in the south by a healthy margin and 4th largest in the country. This is begining to really tick me off. I am puzzled that Dallas/Fort Worth metro has added more residents than any metro since 2000 but people are puzzled about what it offers.
I suppose I can understand that since Dallas is the region's largest city and is really only beginning to get serious about making downtown a true destination with all the investment in parks and cultural facilities and what not. All that most people probably know is that it offers lots of jobs, affordable housing, moderate weather, and sports teams. And it's not that that's a bad thing, but it can prevent people from knowing what the true essence of the region is all about--aside from Dallas (the soap opera), that is. You just expect a region that large to be noted for something other than corporate headquarters--colleges/universities, cultural facilities, ethnic neighborhoods, etc. and it's just not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City