Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2010, 11:32 AM

3,717 posts, read 8,180,281 times

Advertisements

Lmao.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2010, 11:36 AM

30 posts, read 28,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clean_polo View Post
Hold on, you're on South Beach right now and don't realize there are 24 hour restaurants there? Have you left your hotel room at all?? I was on South Beach a month ago and ate at the News Cafe at 3 am. Lol @ "you simply don't understand what being a 24/7 city means." Buddy I was born and raised in a suburb of New York City, I know all about it, you don't have to tell me. Miami doesn't have all of the 24/7 amenities like New York would have, but saying it's NOT 24/7 is false.
Buddy, every podunk in America has some 24 hour 7/11, gas station, IHOP or Wallmart you can drive to. That does not make it a 24 hour city. All I can tell you is walk out of your hotel room at 5 am and see how many places are open on Ocean Drive.

Last edited by whatwasthat; 06-30-2010 at 12:05 PM..

Old 06-30-2010, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatwasthat View Post
Buddy, every podunk in America has some 24 hour 7/11, IHOP or Wallmart you can drive to. That does not make it a 24 hour city. All I can tell you is walk out of your hotel room at 5 am and see how many places are open on Ocean Drive.
I can name like 5 off the top of my head right now, not even including the rest of Miami.

Old 06-30-2010, 11:40 AM

Quote:
^ You clearly have no clue what you are talking about. How are you going to sit there and say bars and restaurants in South Beach close at 4 am. That is the most false statement I have ever heard, most of the restaurants, clubs, bars etc. you see on South Beach are purposely 24/7 for all of the tourists and stuff.
No, they are not. Try getting some food at 5 am and I don't mean a hotdog. What's open 24/7 in South Beach besides News Cafe?

Quote:
^

The Metrorail doesn't run 24/7 because they still need to improve it, it doesn't have a line that goes to Miami Beach (yet) but I bet if they made one in the future it would be a 24 hour line. Besides the trains closing at midnight, everything else runs all through the night. I feel like there is some trolling going on...
When they make it we'll talk about it. Until then Miami does not have a 24 hour transportation system as there is no need for it.

Old 06-30-2010, 11:44 AM

Quote:
No, they are not. Try getting some food at 5 am and I don't mean a hotdog.

The Metrorail doesn't run 24/7 because they still need to improve it, it doesn't have a line that goes to Miami Beach (yet) but I bet if they made one in the future it would be a 24 hour line. Besides the trains closing at midnight, everything else runs all through the night. I feel like there is some trolling going on...
When they make it we'll talk about it. Until then Miami does not have a 24 hour transportation system as there is no need for it.[/quote]

Have you ever even REALLY been to Miami? I love the fact that you really don't know anything that you type. So now you are saying Miami has no 24 hour transportation system at all? You ever heard of buses and cabs? Why do you keep mentioning getting food at 5 am? Big Pink, News Cafe, 11th St. Diner, Jerry's Famous Deli, Cafeteria....just to name a few, also those are just some in Miami Beach, not even including the actual city of Miami.

Old 06-30-2010, 11:50 AM

2,943 posts, read 5,070,604 times
Quote:
What is 24/7 in South Beach??? How about grabbing a bite in South Beach at 5am on Wednesday morning? What about Las Olas being 24/7? How about I go there tomorrow at 5 am. Can expect bars and restaurants to be open? You people have clearly no idea what being 24/7 city means...

What are you talking about? Even 10M big New York is not 24/7 EVERYWHERE. Cars in the street and people on sidewalks don't make a city 24/7 Is the transportation system 24/7 in Miami? Can I get pizza at 5 am on Wednesday morning everywhere in Miami?

Again, you open your mouth without even trying to understand what being a 24/7 city really means.
NYC is the only 24/7 city in the nation (and possibly the world) just because of its sheer size and function (US and world business and media center, and a huge tourist attraction with an unparalled in the US 10M in population). There are relatively small parts of other cities that function this way but no other city keeps its entire transportation system open at all times simply because its population is active at all times. There are literally thousands of people in NYC who work at night, need to commute to work and eat at that time, and they make the city a 24/7 city, not some bars or clubs...
FYI, the population of NYC is 8,363,710, not the 10 million you keep claiming.

Oh, and CTA in Chicago runs 24/7 as well.

Old 06-30-2010, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Have you ever even REALLY been to Miami? I love the fact that you really don't know anything that you type. So now you are saying Miami has no 24 hour transportation system at all? You ever heard of buses and cabs?
Wow. So the cabs make Miami a 24 city? Are you saying that in all other big cities they close the cab services down after midnight? You just have no idea what being a 24 city means

Quote:

Why do you keep mentioning getting food at 5 am? Big Pink, News Cafe, 11th St. Diner, Jerry's Famous Deli, Cafeteria....just to name a few, also those are just some in Miami Beach, not even including the actual city of Miami.
Because there was a situation when I needed it and the options were really limited. Don't tell me about restaurants I can drive too, every city in America has 7/11 diner or IHOP that is 24/7 but that does not make them 24 hour cities.
Like I said Miami does not have that many people working at night as in New York there fore the night options in Miami are very limited even in its most touristy places.

Last edited by whatwasthat; 06-30-2010 at 12:00 PM..

Old 06-30-2010, 11:55 AM

37,128 posts, read 39,337,475 times
Quote:
Wow. So the cabs make Miami a 24 city? Are you saying that in all other big cities they close the cab services down after midnight? You just have no idea what being a 24 city means
Maybe he's saying that Miami is far more autocentric than NYC so how people go about both during the day and night is going to be focused a lot less on mass transit.

Old 06-30-2010, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacobeclark View Post
FYI, the population of NYC is 8,363,710, not the 10 million you keep claiming.

Oh, and CTA in Chicago runs 24/7 as well.
Do you really believe that NYC's population is exactly 8,363,710? I bet a few people managed to pass away since the count and quite a few moved in.

Old 06-30-2010, 11:58 AM

I can't argue with this whatwasthat dude anymore lol, it's impossible for him to understand what I mean. I say something and then he tries to argue something totally different, it really isn't worth it anymore. New York is definitely the true 24 hour city of the US, but to say Miami isn't 24 hours at all is false, but if you want to believe it isn't go right ahead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City