Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2010, 12:15 PM

3,717 posts, read 8,181,390 times

Advertisements

San Francisco should definitely be a 24 hour city, I'm surprised it's not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

4,035 posts, read 10,293,415 times
I think having an early last call has the unintended effect of making people stay out later. In Minneapolis the bars close at 2:00 so many people say out until then. In New York the bars close at 4:00. It's so late that most people wouldn't even consider waiting around until last call so they go home when they feel tired, often around 1:00.

Of course there's a diehard set that stays out all night, but most people who go to a bar on a Saturday night don't stay that long.

30 posts, read 28,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacobeclark View Post
HOLY ****ING **** BALLS!!! I think I'm going to have to bookmark this page, did dementor just compliment Chicago?
What did you just call me???

Old 06-30-2010, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clean_polo View Post
Whatever you want to believe man. Lol @ "Wallmart".
I am simply showing you absurdity of your comments. You claim Miami is 24 hour city because there are a few 24 burger joints and supermarkets within city limits when in fact most American cities and towns have some 24 hour diner, IHOP, Dunkin Donuts or supermarket like Walmart. Following your logic most of these towns and cities would qualify as 24 cities and that's simply absurd.
You fail to realize absurdity of your comment, that's your call. All I can say is that Miami definetely does not have the 24 hour vibe like New York. Walking Miami streets at 3 or 5 am is not the same as walking New York streets at same times.

Old 06-30-2010, 12:28 PM

3,717 posts, read 8,181,390 times
I just think you are trying to downplay what Miami really is. So you are telling me if you go to some small town you can walk right in a club at 6 am and people are still in there like its 9 at night? No way, and stop trying to say "IHOP" and "Dunkin Donuts" etc. the restaurants that are 24 hours in Miami are more than just some fast food spot. Ofcourse New York has more of a 24 hour vibe, New York has more of a 24 hour vibe than ANY OTHER city in this country. I don't feel like arguing though, believe what you want to believe.

Old 06-30-2010, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clean_polo View Post
I just think you are trying to downplay what Miami really is. So you are telling me if you go to some small town you can walk right in a club at 6 am and people are still in there like its 9 at night? No way, and stop trying to say "IHOP" and "Dunkin Donuts" etc. the restaurants that are 24 hours in Miami are more than just some fast food spot. .
I don't think anybody could downplay Miami. At least those who stpped foot outside of Miami Beach and some other touristy areas know Miami as a quasi-third world city with some of the highest poverty and crime rates in America. What is here to donwplay?

I can find late open bars and clubs in any College Town USA, does that make them 24 hour cities? Again, absurdity of your claims clearly escapes you.
eats.com shows 13 24-hour establishments in Miami, allmost all in touristy Miami Beach, but that's not the point. Miami streets at 3 am look different than New York streets and no number of 24 eateries, bars or clubs will change that. The fact that Miami rail closes for the night does not help either. I guess you could say that Miami or rather touristy Miami Beach is a 24-hour city for tourists / club goers but it is hardly 24-hour city for anybody else. Miami sleeps sound at night while New York seems to never sleep. It always works.

Last edited by whatwasthat; 06-30-2010 at 01:02 PM..

Old 06-30-2010, 01:06 PM

2,563 posts, read 6,056,314 times
whatwasthat,
Without mentioning ANY cities Miami, NY, or otherwise. Tell me what is required for a city to be 24 hours.

Old 06-30-2010, 01:07 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times
Just noticed that the topic was for North America and not just the US.

Mexico City, definitely, belongs on the short list.

Old 06-30-2010, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Just noticed that the topic was for North America and not just the US.

Mexico City, definitely, belongs on the short list.
Never been there, can't say. What makes it a 24-hour city?

Old 06-30-2010, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndersDrift View Post
whatwasthat,
Without mentioning ANY cities Miami, NY, or otherwise. Tell me what is required for a city to be 24 hours.
-hour

24-hour city for me is one that slows down but never really closes down for the night, where you can see people in the streets (not just the homeless and party goers outside of clubs and bars) at any time of day and night and public transportation system runs 24/7.
Also a city where you have options with regards to food, basic shopping at any hour and without a need to drive for 20 minutes.
That's all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City