Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2010, 02:59 AM

15 posts, read 61,629 times

Advertisements

Thanks alot,everyone.Well,it seems as if Portland has more to offer as far as nightlife/partying,while Indy is cheaper.Well,I dont know.I want to party,but I dont really want to have a "lost in a big city"kinda feeling.Another question,if I were in the city of Portland,how close would I be to ruarl,country areas and hillbillies as opposed to Indianapolis?I know these two cities are different and the choice between these two seems odd,but they both interest me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2010, 05:15 PM

1,012 posts, read 2,559,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LUCKYLARRY View Post
Thanks alot,everyone.Well,it seems as if Portland has more to offer as far as nightlife/partying,while Indy is cheaper.Well,I dont know.I want to party,but I dont really want to have a "lost in a big city"kinda feeling.Another question,if I were in the city of Portland,how close would I be to ruarl,country areas and hillbillies as opposed to Indianapolis?I know these two cities are different and the choice between these two seems odd,but they both interest me.
I used to live in both. The answer is both. Hillbillies are all over America, in every state, city, town and county. Indianapolis is in the middle of the country and farmland. There's even some cornfields and soybean fields in the city limits. What else can be said? Its called a "Brickyard in a Cornfield" for a reason, referring to the Indy Motor Speedway and its location.

Old 02-11-2010, 12:23 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,281,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lymelyte View Post
Live in Oregon, grew up in Indy and still have relatives there. Have visited Indy many times recently, as recent as last summer, and noticed grocery prices there are higher than Oregon. I shop here at Fred Meyer and there's a Kroger near Indy relative's house - Fred Meyer is owned by Kroger, so they have identical stuff and Kroger is significantly higher than Fred.

You'll pay more in utilities in Indy, which has colder winters and hotter summers. Oregon is fairly temperate, don't need air conditioning and heating is much less used.

As for partying, Indy parties like Republicans and Portland parties like, well, let's just say it's quite a bit different. I don't really know how to compare them except to say I have a lot more fun in Portland than Indy. Plus, Oregon, and Portland especially, is microbrew heaven.

Housing prices are much higher, across the board, in Oregon. You can find decent places in Portland in the suburbs, as in outside the beltline, for maybe $200k, maybe. Expect more like $250k I think. You get more house for the money in Indy, but figure in utilities. Don't know about the taxes in Indy.
Your concern for utilities is unjustified.

I don't know what the going rate for that is in Portland, but the most I have ever paid in one month for gas, electric, and water, was $250; in an average month I pay maybe 60-70 dollars.

Partying like republicans? What does that even mean?

The biggest difference between Indianapolis and Portland, is that people like me can still afford Indianapolis. People like me have long been squeezed out of Portland.

Old 02-12-2010, 08:48 AM

6,485 posts, read 12,530,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
Partying like republicans? What does that even mean?
I was wondering the same thing. Seems both parties have members that have been caught boozing and womanizing.

Old 02-12-2010, 09:23 AM

6,334 posts, read 11,082,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
I was wondering the same thing. Seems both parties have members that have been caught boozing and womanizing.
Certain people still buy into the concept of the false left wing, right wing paradigm. It's tantamount to a dog chasing its tail.

Lucky Larry. Indy will be more Conservative than Portland but I think you'll find the people to be cordial. I have to admit that during my travels through that part of Indiana I've noted the college age girls and 20 somethings can be quite friendly even towards an older guy like me. I don't think you'll be disappointed with the night life in Indy nowadays as it has long since shed its image as "Indiananoplace". Currently I live in Kansas City and if given a choice between Indy or KC I'd take Indy anytime.

Old 02-12-2010, 02:29 PM

2,515 posts, read 5,022,475 times
Portland has a large forest inside the city limits (Forest Park) and the metro area has an urban growth boundary so there is farmland not far away. Don't know that I'd call the local farmers "hillbillies", but your mileage may vary.

Old 02-12-2010, 02:35 PM

18 posts, read 47,186 times
How is this even a contest? Portland. Better weather, better scenery, more fun stuff, better surrounding areas.

Don't move somewhere just because it's cheap. You get what you pay for.

Old 02-13-2010, 02:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
Certain people still buy into the concept of the false left wing, right wing paradigm. It's tantamount to a dog chasing its tail.

Lucky Larry. Indy will be more Conservative than Portland but I think you'll find the people to be cordial. I have to admit that during my travels through that part of Indiana I've noted the college age girls and 20 somethings can be quite friendly even towards an older guy like me. I don't think you'll be disappointed with the night life in Indy nowadays as it has long since shed its image as "Indiananoplace". Currently I live in Kansas City and if given a choice between Indy or KC I'd take Indy anytime.
Its funny the whole republican thing was brought up.Im a 25 year old black republican.I party harder than some of the liberals I know.Anyway,even though ill probably have more fun in Portland,ill most likely chose Indy,due to the low cost of living.

Last edited by LUCKYLARRY; 02-13-2010 at 02:56 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 02-13-2010, 03:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenyears1984 View Post
How is this even a contest? Portland. Better weather, better scenery, more fun stuff, better surrounding areas.

Don't move somewhere just because it's cheap. You get what you pay for.
I hear you there.But I need to live in a nice,quiet area for a reasonably low price.Ill have to do some more research,but I think Indy has Portland beat in that regard.Plus I think the city should have enough nightlife so that I dont get bored.Ill still vacation to both places next month,though.

Old 02-13-2010, 04:32 AM

2,316 posts, read 7,818,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LUCKYLARRY View Post
Its funny the whole republican thing was brought up.Im a 25 year old black republican.I party harder than some of the liberals I know.Anyway,even though ill probably have more fun in Portland,ill most likely chose Indy,due to the low cost of living.
You're 25 and a Republican? Good luck making friends in Portland... I'm just being honest here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City