Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of these cities has the best skyline?
Seattle 126 49.61%
Portland 1 0.39%
San Francisco 77 30.31%
Los Angeles 41 16.14%
San Diego 9 3.54%
Voters: 254. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2012, 07:03 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

46,011 posts, read 53,143,264 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouisan View Post
although Mount Rainier really magnifies Seattle
if it's not blocked by clouds

Old 06-20-2012, 12:35 PM

5,861 posts, read 15,173,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dominicisright View Post
The skyline of San Francisco has more variety and buildings than Seattle. How can Seattle even compare to such a magnificent city like SF. Yet, I respect that Seattle is a pretty city but not as impressive as SF.
Because we're not talking about the whole city, just the skylines and imo Seattle's skyline is tops. San Francisco has more buildings but Seattle has more varied height, more attractice talls and more color. From certain angles San Francisco has a flat top look with a point and a black box sticking out the top.

Old 06-20-2012, 01:47 PM

363 posts, read 662,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
Because we're not talking about the whole city, just the skylines and imo Seattle's skyline is tops. San Francisco has more buildings but Seattle has more varied height, more attractice talls and more color. From certain angles San Francisco has a flat top look with a point and a black box sticking out the top.
Agreed

Old 05-27-2013, 08:01 PM

592 posts, read 824,113 times
Seattle has the more photogenic skyline, but most people who have seen both in person would say that San Francisco has the more impressive skyline. Most pictures of San Francisco's skyline don't even include the buildings to the West of the main cluster(by city hall), which is still considered to be a part of downtown San Francisco. Seattle's skyline looks amazing in pictures, but in person, you realize that San Francisco's skyline clearly dominates it in size, density and in my opinion, beauty(highly debatable).

Old 05-27-2013, 08:28 PM

1,108 posts, read 2,274,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFNative87 View Post
Seattle has the more photogenic skyline, but most people who have seen both in person would say that San Francisco has the more impressive skyline. Most pictures of San Francisco's skyline don't even include the buildings to the West of the main cluster(by city hall), which is still considered to be a part of downtown San Francisco. Seattle's skyline looks amazing in pictures, but in person, you realize that San Francisco's skyline clearly dominates it in size, density and in my opinion, beauty(highly debatable).
I agree - but Seattle has pretty good size and density too, and its skyline is growing more quickly than SF's.

This one capture the density pretty well:

http://www.[blocked due to copyright reasons].com/north-...ne-seattle.jpg

And this one just looks cool with the tall buildings cluster and Mt. Rainier.

http://cdn.c.photoshelter.com/img-ge...tock-photo.jpg

Last edited by JMT; 05-29-2013 at 09:13 PM..

Old 05-30-2013, 06:04 AM

136 posts, read 242,971 times
I chose Seattle. San Francisco is beautiful but the towers are just so white. There is very little color.

Old 05-31-2013, 09:51 AM

12,548 posts, read 21,718,207 times
I love San Francisco. If you asked me what my favorite west coast city is, the answer is easily SF. However, I'm in the camp that doesn't think building height, "density," or number of high rises is as important as the overall appearance. Both cities have great skylines, but I find Seattle's to be more aesthetically pleasing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFNative87 View Post

Does SF have more towers than Seattle? Absolutely. However, with cities like Chicago, New York, Shanghai, Hong Kong, Tokyo, etc. out there, the size of SF's skyline isn't particularly that impressive (especially for a CSA of around 8 million people). I would say only two cities in the U.S. have skylines where I'd apply the word "dominate;" and those are obviously NYC and Chicago. SF's skyline is notable and famous because of the topography (bay, hills, etc.) and the iconic bridges (the Golden Gate is more famous, but the Bay Bridge is larger and closer to the city center) and to a lesser degree, the irregular shape of the tallest building. It's stunning in that regard. I just wouldn't say it "dominates" Seattle in size or any other category. I think Seattle's skyline is more attractive and you think SF's is. Beauty is obviously subjective, so neither of us are wrong when it comes to those opinions. I just have a hard time saying that San Francisco's skyline "dominates" another city like Seattle. When I think of dominating skylines, I think of imposing (in terms of height and size) and sprawling. SF's is neither of those things. It's simply beautiful.

Old 08-11-2013, 04:45 AM

1,108 posts, read 2,274,323 times
Another cool one of Seattle

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City