U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Madison or Rochester
Rochester 8 44.44%
Madison 10 55.56%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2010, 04:55 PM

906 posts, read 1,772,109 times

Advertisements

Both cities are simmilar in size and are located on water. Which one is nicer, has more to do in it etc?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2010, 09:08 PM

457 posts, read 993,642 times
I guess that depends on what you are looking for in a city.

Rochester is a bigger MSA. The city has some small restaurant rows and gilded age cultural institutions. However, it is very suburban oriented w/o a vibrant hub.

Madison has more character and its downtown is pretty lively w/ retail and pedestrian activity.

Overall, I would say Madison is in better shape.

In terms of things to do, Rochester has more suburban amenities. However, if you want a more unique/pedestrian oriented environment, I would say Madison has the edge.

Both have pretty good natural attractions.

Old 02-09-2010, 09:13 PM

6,123 posts, read 14,765,803 times
Originally from Roch, have spent much time in Madison. They are very different cities. I voted for Rochester because I am from there, but actually I think non-Upstater NYers would overwhelmingly prefer Madison. Roch is an acquired taste! (and it ain't what it used to be, nor is Madison what it's gonna be!)

Old 02-11-2010, 12:38 PM

4,836 posts, read 10,759,632 times
Madison for a city its size has a lot going for it. Downtown area is pretty Urban and Capitol Hill adds a nice feeling to the city. I been to Madison two times and both times I was surprised how urban downtown felt. It is a very walkable city and a place for its size feels much more urban.

Old 02-11-2010, 12:54 PM

1,964 posts, read 4,714,157 times
Well, Madison is certainly nicer. It has a more active downtown area (the University contributes to a lot to this) and does not really have any ghetto areas. Rochester has some nice areas and also some pockets of ghetto. Downtown Rochester is decent, but certainly not on Madison's level. All that being said, I would pick Rochester based on geographic location alone. To me living in New York would be far more interesting than Wisconsin, and you will be in proximity to more and better things for weekend trips. I also don't like how Madison is so oriented around the University. It's more than a college town, but a lot of what goes on in Madison is centered on the University and that would get old if you're not a student.

Old 02-11-2010, 05:34 PM

65,227 posts, read 90,997,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caymon83 View Post
I guess that depends on what you are looking for in a city.

Rochester is a bigger MSA. The city has some small restaurant rows and gilded age cultural institutions. However, it is very suburban oriented w/o a vibrant hub.

Madison has more character and its downtown is pretty lively w/ retail and pedestrian activity.

Overall, I would say Madison is in better shape.

In terms of things to do, Rochester has more suburban amenities. However, if you want a more unique/pedestrian oriented environment, I would say Madison has the edge.

Both have pretty good natural attractions.
In Rochester, you would like the Park Avenue, Upper Monroe, Monroe Village and pretty much the Southeastern part of town. Can't forget Swillburg and South Wedge. Maybe parts of the 19th Ward and Maplewood too.

Park Avenue Rochester NY shops cafe restaurants
Upper Monroe Neighborhood Association | UMNA
About Monroe Village (http://monroevillage.org/aboutus.aspx - broken link)
Welcome to Swillburg!
South Wedge - Rochester Wiki
19th Ward - Rochester Wiki
Maplewood - Rochester Wiki

and more Rochester neighborhoods: http://rocwiki.org/Neighborhoods

Old 02-11-2010, 06:14 PM

1,712 posts, read 2,860,548 times
I have to go with my hometown of Rochester here. It has many very underrated natural scenery such as the Genessee river gorge (with a beautiful 100 ft waterfall right downtown), Irondequoit Bay, the lake shore, Durand Eastman Park and more. It also has many good colleges like U of R, RIT, St John Fisher, Nazereth and SUNY Brockport. Very nice cultural amentities for a city its size as well.

Madison is a very nice city with the great U of Wisconsin there and good culture as well
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City