Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which area of the United States do you prefer?
California 63 40.38%
Mid-Atlantic (NY, NJ, PA, DE, MD, DC) 93 59.62%
Voters: 156. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2010, 12:41 PM

5,347 posts, read 10,152,962 times

Advertisements

Linative,

RussianIvanov is correct. Most people on the east coast really don't care or speak about California in a positive or negative light. The same thing goes for west coasters. They really don't think about the east coast too much. It's a mutual respect.

Old 02-15-2010, 12:48 PM

2,957 posts, read 6,471,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billiam View Post
Ok, I'd like to start by saying im not sure why all of your frustration is being taken out on me. I don't hate the west coast. At all. In any way. It's as though I you all think i agreed with that guy and want the west coast gone. No. Just, no.

Im sorry, but even if you take the man seriously, its quite, quite, quite well understood that he isn't serious. It's extremely interesting to see how seriously you take it, as he isn't being literal. He is a extreme conservative who hates extreme liberals. That's it. He doesn't want to actually kill them, he's just expressing his hatred for them.
As for the rest, ok, i understand. But every area feels like that. You already mentioned Half of the country that feels that way, and so does the other half. California doesn't get anymore hate than any other region. In fact, it gets much less from my experience.

Quite the opposite from your perspective. From my perspective, nope, it is praised much more. Wow, so California is doing bad financially right now, so what if time magazine is saying it will fail. You're acting as though California is the region that gets the most Garbage. It truly, truly, truly is one of the least. Im sorry to disappoint you, but there are regions of this country that have almost never gotten praise, and California's praise level is HIGH in comparison to the opposite.

2 is simply obvious. You're being WAY oversensitive to such a dis-credible person as he is. It doesn't matter if he didn't laugh, he obivously has strong, true, feelings about extreme liberals. 3 come on, just come on. Blowing something so dumb way out of proportion.

I'm confused, do you guys think he was being literal and would like terrorists to blow up San Francisco, or are you guys mad that he doesn't like San Franciscans. That could clear things up.

To your last comment, well that's simply untrue in my experience.

Obviously, saying california gets nothing but praise is a hyperbole, i thought that would be obvious.
Nobody is denying you to defend your home against criticism. However, that isnt what we are talking about at all. We're talking about how California only gets negatives according to Californians [/Hyperbole].

Chill out. If you want to deny that California gets tons of praise as perfection, go right ahead, i personally would embrace it but do whatever you like. Almost every area of the country wishes that got that same praise.

Ok, ive never heard a bad thing about California from a person in real life.

My tone? We're on the internet. Its nearly impossible to tell a person's tone unless they are extremely good writers. Honestly, they should be brushed aside. I agree they should never be made, but unlike you, as i keep saying, i don't take him seriously enough to care. If this were a terrorist organization, then i would care.

Im sure people in my area would be mad that he said that, because my area has already been attacked by terrorists. Still, I wouldn't take him seriously. He isn't the leader of a terrorist group.

o? Please, his followers are probably smart enough to understand he doesn't want to destroy his own country. That's simply stupid.
Man are you ever hard-headed. Wow, JUST WOW.

1. No one said you hate the West Coast. Why do you keep twisting what we are saying into these ridiculous absolutes that veer away from our actual meaning?

2. Who is taking their frustration out on you? We are not agreeing with what you have to say, and vice versa. We could accuse you of the exact same thing here that you are accusing us of, but neither is true.

3. I don't care if you take O'Reilly serious or not. People like him and Rush Limbaugh are out of line in what they say, and it is dangerous that they promote such a mentality when they have as gullible a following as they have. There are people that listen to them that don't simply laugh off what they says and find it hilarious like its South Park or Family Guy or something. They make their radical comments in a serious manner, and its not cool. How is us not caring for it too difficult for you to understand?

4. You're not in CA, so you're not qualified to say it gets less hate thrown at it than any other region. Just b/c your experience differs from ours does not mean ours don't exist in reality.

5. How many ways do we have to put it to you before you get what we are ACTUALLY SAYING HERE?? We never said CA gets bashed more than any corner of the country or globe, nor did we ever say that it gets nothing but praise. Are you even reading our posts before replying to them?? I've already mentioned like 3 or 4 times that CA gets a ton of praise, so you're just being ridiculous in saying otherwise at this point.

6. Talk to me about being sensitive when the cable news network with the largest audience in the nation begins to invite terrorists to blow up national landmarks in your area. Until then, you aren't in any position to say who's being too sensitive here. What kind of reaction would you expect us to have to that BS? You're not even being fair here.

And simply brushing aside highly inflammatory comments like those as though they are acceptable is just plain ignorant. Being displeased with any American saying such crap is natural. How are you not seeing this? We didn't call for the guy to be executed over his comments, but when talking about hatred for CA in the media we have a pretty strong case. Taking issue with a major mainstream media personality saying something like this is not us blowing things out of proportion. I don't know why you're even arguing with us on this one.

And from my experience, your "experience" is simply untrue.

7. Your hyperbole comment is nonsensical. WE ARE talking about how we have the right to defend where we come from, and when we are doing this we are being criticized for doing so. And please, OH PLEASE show me where ANY of us made CA out to only receive negatives. You quoted me of all people, who acknowledged repeatedly how much praise CA does get. Why is this such a tough one for you to get. I'll put it as simply as I possibly can, and please don't misquote me/take things out of context/twist meaning/turn my comments into "hyperbole" again: CA GETS A LOT OF PRAISE, BUT NOT ALL OF THE CRITICISM CA GETS IS POSITIVE. IT GETS MORE THAN ITS SHARE OF NEGATIVE CRITICISM TOO. That's it, end of story. I cannot fathom why this point has been so hard to get across and why you're making us out to be martyrs simply b/c we're finally mentioning this fact.

And you're either impaired in reading comprehension or just flat out lying if you're trying to say that I've at any point tried to deny that CA gets tons of praise. That comment annoys me, so I'm gonna shut it down right now:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jman650 View Post
Does CA receive a disproportionate amount of praise? Yeah, definitely.
Quote:
You can hardly accuse me of playing the victim though, when I've only acknowledged that CA gets a disproportionate amount of praise and tried to open your eyes to the fact that CA takes a huge, unfair amount of negative criticism at the same time.

My state gets more praise than any other state b/c it deserves to, bottom line. Getting pissy about that fact just makes you sound jealous. And like I said earlier, when we don't get praise from someone we don't cry about it. Its when people are talking trash that we react.
Quote:
CA gets bashed all the time on TV, in the media, wherever. It gets hyped up positively a whole bunch too, and none of us are denying that.We're just saying that we do receive quite a hefty amount of negative criticism. And with so much venom and bitter hatred at times that we find it quite uncalled for.
Quote:
I've said it before and I'll say it again: CA receives a disproportionate amount of praise. It also earns a lot of that praise. In addition to all of that, it receives an unfair amount of negative criticism and bad wishes.
Yeah, I'm SOOOOOOO trying to deny that CA gets any praise. Good call.

Apparently no matter how much I try to balance out what I say by acknowledging that CA gets a ton of praise as I go on to mention what I dislike about the negatives that it receives, you're going to try and take what I'm saying as, "CA receives nothing but bashing and trash talking all day and all night, and the rest of the world is always talking about us and thinking of ways to destroy us! And CA is the only place this happens to! Everyone hates us and nobody loves us! We have it harder than everyone else in the world!" [/Hyperbole]

How about looking at what I'm actually saying so we don't have to waste our time on meaningless banter. I shouldn't have to go to so much trouble to clarify what was plainly stated earlier. Why is being disagreeable more preferable to you than either seeing eye-to-eye or trying to grasp a differing perspective? You're really making it impossible here for us not to be arguing, and its completely unnecessary.

8. I'm beginning to believe you less and less that you've never heard a single bad thing said about CA in real life b/c you seem to want to deny the possibility that any of us have either. And the second we say that we have, we're making CA out to be crapped on and never get any love. And then you tell us we're blowing things out of proportion LOL. You're rapidly losing credibility here.

9. Correct, it is extremely difficult to understand a person's tone over the internet. Which is one reason why many disagreements occur often. But the message that was coming across through your posts was as I described: your tone.

And its not so much that we're taking him seriously, or that we're thinking he's going to lead an Al-Queda cell down Market St and start blowing things up. We just don't like what he said, and he never should have said it. Bottom line. If someone calls someone's mom a *****, that doesn't make it true. But people generally don't simply brush those words off either b/c they are offensive. How is this too advanced for you to conceive?

10. The issue is many of his followers are not all that bright, and we end up getting hated on more than we already would b/c of comments such as his. But this subject is off-topic and has been beaten to death already, so let's just leave it at you think its all good that O'Reilly said something we consider offensive, and we don't. You think we're trippin, and we think you are. Let's leave it at that.

Old 02-15-2010, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
Honestly that's the opposite of my experience, I know many people who moved to California (and The South) and love it and sometimes boast about it. Maybe it's because I'm from Queens and not "uppity Manhattan". Infact I've never really heard anything negative about California (except things like earthquakes of course), nobody sits around thinking about Cali all day like some believe.

I'm gonna keep it 100 right now, maybe it's just me but that whole "The Big-Bad Northeast looks down on everyone" noise is very annoying, I recall only one time in REAL LIFE were I've met someone like that (your results may vary lol), people seem to forget that this is a forum. Some of this stuff I hear is so unreal, yeah as if 40+ million Americans are born with inferiority complexes and just sit around all day all looking down on and hating fellow Americans, like come on now that's insane.
See I fully believe you when you say this b/c you have proven to be one of the most level-headed, rational posters on this site. You always tell it the way you see it and never give any biased opinions, so you have much credibility IMO. And I don't doubt that there are plenty of other people in NYC/the NE that have only heard CA made out to be this wonderful place w/o much focus given to all the negatives that it has as well.

But from my experience, what we see on C-D exists in real life as well. I've dealt with a lot of it out here long before I even had an internet to go on. I imagine I've dealt with more of it than the average Californian, which is why I have strong opinions on it. But I am also well aware that this is not the view of the majority, and I think for the most part people in the NE are not haters. I just really don't care for that certain specific type of hating b/c I've dealt with it so much.

I think its more likely to happen over here than it is over there. NYers over there I think are secure for the most part, while the haters I've come across out here were clearly insecure and made it a point to act that way. I don't think people over there waste their time and energy thinking about us all that much, just like we don't do that over here. I doubt its a large enough percentage to really count for much that would do that on a regular basis. The only reason I ever put them under the "NE banner" is b/c those that do this do it in a very similar way to each other. But I don't blame you for finding it annoying having to hear that so much when it couldn't be farther from the truth for you or your surroundings.

Old 02-15-2010, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussianIvanov View Post
I am pretty sure New York City and DC have more than enough happening right now than to worry about this. I do not know about you guys, but in my town the only thing we think of is where we are going out to dinner and what we are going to wear. I have a meeting over dinner tonight. California will not be on my mind, New York City will not even be on my mind (and dinner will be in NYC) when I head out to dinner.
Lol this is true. I don't spend my nights out worrying about this crap either. Neither CA nor anywhere else is likely to be on my mind when I'm just going about my business.

Old 02-15-2010, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
Linative,

RussianIvanov is correct. Most people on the east coast really don't care or speak about California in a positive or negative light. The same thing goes for west coasters. They really don't think about the east coast too much. It's a mutual respect.
I'd like to think this is true. I don't think the hating or the fixating on either region is common amongst most folks on either side, and I think there definitely is a mutual respect for the most part. I just dislike the hating and talking down that some people do. But I think what LI Native said makes sense and sounds about right. Its not that there's a fixation on CA by your region, but people usually have opinions one way or another, as opposed to random states that most people truly don't think much about like Wyoming or New Hampshire. (No disrespect to those states, I just mean the general populace does't hear or know all that much about them.)

Old 02-15-2010, 01:48 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,654,155 times
That is very true about most people in the NE just plain don't think about California much one way or the other. After all, it's an entire coast away. I had two older relatives who moved from NYC (Manhattan) to California (Walnut Creek and LA). One stayed and the other moved back. Personal preference I suppose.

"Mutual respect". Yes, I think that is true.

Old 02-15-2010, 02:08 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,627,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
That is very true about most people in the NE just plain don't think about California much one way or the other. After all, it's an entire coast away. I had two older relatives who moved from NYC (Manhattan) to California (Walnut Creek and LA). One stayed and the other moved back. Personal preference I suppose.

"Mutual respect". Yes, I think that is true.
Which one stayed and which one left? I'm just curious b/c I grew up in Walnut Creek.

Old 02-15-2010, 02:50 PM

4,383 posts, read 16,759,177 times
Quote:
Man are you ever hard-headed. Wow, JUST WOW.
1. No one said you hate the West Coast. Why do you keep twisting what we are saying into these ridiculous absolutes that veer away from our actual meaning?
2. Who is taking their frustration out on you? We are not agreeing with what you have to say, and vice versa. We could accuse you of the exact same thing here that you are accusing us of, but neither is true.
3. I don't care if you take O'Reilly serious or not. People like him and Rush Limbaugh are out of line in what they say, and it is dangerous that they promote such a mentality when they have as gullible a following as they have. There are people that listen to them that don't simply laugh off what they says and find it hilarious like its South Park or Family Guy or something. They make their radical comments in a serious manner, and its not cool. How is us not caring for it too difficult for you to understand?
4. You're not in CA, so you're not qualified to say it gets less hate thrown at it than any other region. Just b/c your experience differs from ours does not mean ours don't exist in reality.
5. How many ways do we have to put it to you before you get what we are ACTUALLY SAYING HERE?? We never said CA gets bashed more than any corner of the country or globe, nor did we ever say that it gets nothing but praise. Are you even reading our posts before replying to them?? I've already mentioned like 3 or 4 times that CA gets a ton of praise, so you're just being ridiculous in saying otherwise at this point.
6. Talk to me about being sensitive when the cable news network with the largest audience in the nation begins to invite terrorists to blow up national landmarks in your area. Until then, you aren't in any position to say who's being too sensitive here. What kind of reaction would you expect us to have to that BS? You're not even being fair here.
And simply brushing aside highly inflammatory comments like those as though they are acceptable is just plain ignorant. Being displeased with any American saying such crap is natural. How are you not seeing this? We didn't call for the guy to be executed over his comments, but when talking about hatred for CA in the media we have a pretty strong case. Taking issue with a major mainstream media personality saying something like this is not us blowing things out of proportion. I don't know why you're even arguing with us on this one.
And from my experience, your "experience" is simply untrue.
7. Your hyperbole comment is nonsensical. WE ARE talking about how we have the right to defend where we come from, and when we are doing this we are being criticized for doing so. And please, OH PLEASE show me where ANY of us made CA out to only receive negatives. You quoted me of all people, who acknowledged repeatedly how much praise CA does get. Why is this such a tough one for you to get. I'll put it as simply as I possibly can, and please don't misquote me/take things out of context/twist meaning/turn my comments into "hyperbole" again: CA GETS A LOT OF PRAISE, BUT NOT ALL OF THE CRITICISM CA GETS IS POSITIVE. IT GETS MORE THAN ITS SHARE OF NEGATIVE CRITICISM TOO. That's it, end of story. I cannot fathom why this point has been so hard to get across and why you're making us out to be martyrs simply b/c we're finally mentioning this fact.
And you're either impaired in reading comprehension or just flat out lying if you're trying to say that I've at any point tried to deny that CA gets tons of praise. That comment annoys me, so I'm gonna shut it down right now:

Yeah, I'm SOOOOOOO trying to deny that CA gets any praise. Good call.
Apparently no matter how much I try to balance out what I say by acknowledging that CA gets a ton of praise as I go on to mention what I dislike about the negatives that it receives, you're going to try and take what I'm saying as, "CA receives nothing but bashing and trash talking all day and all night, and the rest of the world is always talking about us and thinking of ways to destroy us! And CA is the only place this happens to! Everyone hates us and nobody loves us! We have it harder than everyone else in the world!" [/Hyperbole]
How about looking at what I'm actually saying so we don't have to waste our time on meaningless banter. I shouldn't have to go to so much trouble to clarify what was plainly stated earlier. Why is being disagreeable more preferable to you than either seeing eye-to-eye or trying to grasp a differing perspective? You're really making it impossible here for us not to be arguing, and its completely unnecessary.
8. I'm beginning to believe you less and less that you've never heard a single bad thing said about CA in real life b/c you seem to want to deny the possibility that any of us have either. And the second we say that we have, we're making CA out to be crapped on and never get any love. And then you tell us we're blowing things out of proportion LOL. You're rapidly losing credibility here.
9. Correct, it is extremely difficult to understand a person's tone over the internet. Which is one reason why many disagreements occur often. But the message that was coming across through your posts was as I described: your tone.
And its not so much that we're taking him seriously, or that we're thinking he's going to lead an Al-Queda cell down Market St and start blowing things up. We just don't like what he said, and he never should have said it. Bottom line. If someone calls someone's mom a *****, that doesn't make it true. But people generally don't simply brush those words off either b/c they are offensive. How is this too advanced for you to conceive?
10. The issue is many of his followers are not all that bright, and we end up getting hated on more than we already would b/c of comments such as his. But this subject is off-topic and has been beaten to death already, so let's just leave it at you think its all good that O'Reilly said something we consider offensive, and we don't. You think we're trippin, and we think you are. Let's leave it at that.
Ok, you're a bit too hard headed to talk with,and your frustration is out of line, so:

My only points are

1. Californians seem to complain on this board about how much negativity they get, when in reality, they don't get that much in my experience. Areas like the south get far more undeserved negativity.
2. O'Reillys comments are dumb, period.

Done.

PS: 1.You twist things just as much as I have, as proven in the above post - It's obvious you want a mile long post from me getting worked up over it, but sorry, i won't.

Last edited by Billiam; 02-15-2010 at 02:59 PM..

Old 02-15-2010, 03:35 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,236,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
Linative,

DC, I am not saying that people think or dream about California every day of the week. Or any other state for that matter. For instance, the only other states I hear about on a daily basis (besides my own of course) is Connecticut and New Jersey. And that is mostly about their weather and traffic!

But if you listen to some of the old songs from the 1960s, like "California Dreamin" or "California Girls" or you watch some of the old movies or TV shows you get the impression that California was the THE HAPPENING PLACE to be.

Its the same thing if you talk to some Baby Boomers like my father and uncles. I am not saying all of them. But it looks to me like lots of folks at least thought about the possibility of moving to California. I bet alot of people still do.

Old 02-15-2010, 03:56 PM

117 posts, read 330,807 times
Considering it's 6 states to 1 state I'd say California is doing a dang good job!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City