Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which area of the United States do you prefer?
California 63 40.38%
Mid-Atlantic (NY, NJ, PA, DE, MD, DC) 93 59.62%
Voters: 156. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2010, 08:32 PM

924 posts, read 1,643,645 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
So wait a minute. You're going to criticize my whole analogy, say it's moronic, say I'm getting fussy, say it's NOT state vs state, but THEN turn around and say Cali BLOWS the Mid-Atlantic out of the water? WOW. When I was arguing with the other person, I wasn't saying Cali blew the Mid-Atlantic out of the water, I was just implying how amazing Cali is doing in this competition, and how dominant it is because we're comparing a region to it. In other words, Cali doesn't BLOW the Mid-Atlantic out of the water.
Yes, your analogy was moronic, you did get (and are getting) fussy, and it is not state vs. state. And yes, Cali does blow the Mid-Atlantic out of the water in my opinion because, quite frankly, I've never been a big fan of "concrete beauty". And no, the Adirondacks aren't that impressive when you compare them to the Sierra Nevada. Not to mention California has every topographical feature imaginable, more laid-back people, some pretty awesome cities of its own, better weather, I think it's less dense, and it has proximity to other nearly-equally awesome states (Arizona, Nevada, Utah, New Mexico, Washington, Oregon, etc.). Even if you're comparing California to a whole region, 75% of the time I'll still take California (with the exception of some regions out west maybe).

Old 03-18-2010, 08:42 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,923,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
I have a good friend who lives in Portland and travels regularly to Seattle. She tells me that both of those cities are being overrun with Californians. This prompts me to wonder...if California is such a paradise, why do people leave? Could it possibly be a case of hype?
The same can be said for EVERY place that people over hype. No disrespect to NYC, as it is a GREAT city, and one of the greatest in the WORLD, but I live in NC right now, and there are New Yorkers moving here day by day, and the same ones moving here are the same ones hyping it up. Same thing with Floridians moving here(I'm from Florida originally, but I'm being truthful).

Old 03-18-2010, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llewelyn View Post
Yes, your analogy was moronic, you did get (and are getting) fussy, and it is not state vs. state. And yes, Cali does blow the Mid-Atlantic out of the water in my opinion because, quite frankly, I've never been a big fan of "concrete beauty". And no, the Adirondacks aren't that impressive when you compare them to the Sierra Nevada. Not to mention California has every topographical feature imaginable, more laid-back people, some pretty awesome cities of its own, better weather, I think it's less dense, and it has proximity to other nearly-equally awesome states (Arizona, Nevada, Utah, New Mexico, Washington, Oregon, etc.). Even if you're comparing California to a whole region, 75% of the time I'll still take California (with the exception of some regions out west maybe).
You were being just as fussy. Pot meet kettle. I'm just saying, someone already established that my analogy didn't work, and we worked it out. You can just read the convo we had when I admitted I was wrong. No need to beat a dead horse.

Old 03-18-2010, 09:19 PM

106 posts, read 288,439 times
Quote:
The same can be said for EVERY place that people over hype. No disrespect to NYC, as it is a GREAT city, and one of the greatest in the WORLD, but I live in NC right now, and there are New Yorkers moving here day by day, and the same ones moving here are the same ones hyping it up. Same thing with Floridians moving here(I'm from Florida originally, but I'm being truthful).

They may have been priced out of NYC and forced into NC, most of them are still aware that New York City is the best city in the US. They just can't afford to live there anymore.

Old 03-18-2010, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CL63 View Post
They may have been priced out of New York City and forced into cheap places like NC, but they all still know that New York City is the best city in the US, perhaps the world.
Same can be said about people moving out of California.

Old 03-18-2010, 09:23 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,627,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
I have a good friend who lives in Portland and travels regularly to Seattle. She tells me that both of those cities are being overrun with Californians. This prompts me to wonder...if California is such a paradise, why do people leave? Could it possibly be a case of hype?
umm usually for many of the same reasons people leave NYC; high prices, over crowding, low quality of life in parts, etc... New York state loses more people (domestic out migration) per capita than CA does.

Old 03-18-2010, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Same can be said about people moving out of California.
Too broad of a brush to paint. California isn't a city.

The people moving from smoggy dumps like the valley or Fresno to Dallas are upgrading, IMO.

San Francisco, West LA.... a different story all together.

Old 03-18-2010, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
umm usually for many of the same reasons people leave NYC; high prices, over crowding, low quality of life in parts, etc... New York state loses more people (domestic out migration) per capita than CA does.

In the case of the NYC Metro, 80%+ (I believe I read) of the people who leave move to the "suburbs"....New Jersey and Connecticut.

Old 03-18-2010, 09:31 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,627,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CL63 View Post
Too broad of a brush to paint. California isn't a city.

The people moving from smoggy dumps like the valley or Fresno to Dallas are upgrading, IMO.

San Francisco, West LA.... a different story all together.
Some people who can afford NYC still leave for other reasons; too crowded, too fast paced, the people, the weather, litter and general state of the city, etc..

Old 03-18-2010, 09:34 PM

924 posts, read 1,643,645 times
CL63 don't you have something better to do than toot your horn about your hometown. NYC doesn't appeal to me at all and for the same reasons it doesn't appeal to sav858 (or at least the reasons he gave for other people leaving). NYC just seems depressing to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City