Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which area of the United States do you prefer?
California 63 40.38%
Mid-Atlantic (NY, NJ, PA, DE, MD, DC) 93 59.62%
Voters: 156. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2010, 09:48 PM

106 posts, read 288,439 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Some people who can afford NYC still leave for other reasons; too crowded, too fast paced, the people, the weather, litter and general state of the city, etc..
General state of the city? The unemployment rate in NYC is lower than LA, and that very low IQ region/economic wasteland known as SD. Not to mentioned much you are much safer.

California's combined GDP ($1.8 trillion) is only a hair above the NYC Metro's GDP ($1.3 trillion) and NYC metro clearly has a much smaller population.

Too fast paced? Too crowded? The people? I suppose. After all, New York City is a very large extraordinarily dense city. Most of the people who flee these big city problems move to the suburbs, i.e. New Jersey and Connecticut.

FYI, I was reading the WSJ and read the survey polling of the people leaving the city (the city kept track and polled the people exiting), and by far the number one reason cited for the exit was cost.

Old 03-18-2010, 10:01 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,627,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CL63 View Post
General state of the city?
As in all the litter and general grittiness of the city.
Quote:
The unemployment rate in NYC is lower than LA
Yet they still leave and more people from NYC move to LA than the other way around.
Quote:
and that very low IQ region known as SD
And what is the IQ of each city? Or is that just some defensive jab? Btw, San Diego has a higher percentage of college graduates than NYC.
Quote:
Not to mentioned much you are much safer.
NYC does have a lower crime rate but you aren't "much safer", especially considering it has a higher murder rate than SD.
Quote:
California's combined GDP ($1.8 trillion) is only a hair above the NYC Metro's GDP ($1.3 trillion) and NYC metro clearly has a much smaller population.
your point? And 500 billion isn't exactly a "hair above" but is a pretty significant distance.
Quote:
FYI, I was reading the WSJ and read the survey polling of the people leaving the city (the city kept track and polled the people exiting), and by far the number one reason cited for the exit was cost.
Great, I never claimed it wasn't. That is usually the #1 reason people leave CA and some of the big cities here.

If it makes you feel better I think NYC is one of the best cities in America, I love that place. I don't understand why some of you NY posters get so defensive and start bashing other places when someone points out some of the negatives of NYC. I have no problem admitting the faults of CA, I guess some of you just aren't that confident in NYC and can't handle any sort of objective criticism.

Old 03-18-2010, 10:30 PM

106 posts, read 288,439 times
Quote:
As in all the litter and general grittiness of the city.
Hmm, I don't see any grit where I live in the West Village and in Midtown where I work, but I'll go along. Even if there was this apparent grit, I would take that over the general state of San Diego -- absence of class, absence of culture, absence of taste, absence of sophistication, absence of life.

Quote:
Yet they still leave and more people from NYC move to LA than the other way around.
Yes, and more people from New York City move to Columbia South Carolina than the other way around (I'm guessing). Columbia must be spectacular. The best city in the world!

Los Angeles is a much cheaper city than New York. I know, i've lived in LA longer than I've lived in NY.

Quote:
And what is the IQ of each city? Or is that just some defensive jab? Btw, San Diego has a higher percentage of college graduates than NYC.
San Diego is a tiny city. New York City is a massive immigrant hub.

Furthermore, most college graduates are useless and work dead-end jobs (which explains SD's economy). Look at the top schools...how many people who graduate Havard, Princeton, Stanford, Columbia end up in San Diego?

Compare the economy of New York City to that of San Diego. What does SD have outside of Qualcomm? Economic wasteland...

and on to the next quote..

Quote:
NYC does have a lower crime rate but you aren't "much safer", especially considering it has a higher murder rate than SD.
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed
New York City and SD are equal when it comes to violent crime, however the property crime rate is higher in SD than in New York City.

Property crime is more prevalent than violent crime.

Quote:
And 500 billion isn't exactly a "hair above" but is a pretty significant distance.
You seemed very interested in "per-capita" a few seconds ago when you were comparing New York State's net- domestic loss per capita to California. Per-capita is now meaningless in regards to GDP?

If you want to go by per-capita, the New York Metro has a far higher per-capita GDP than California.
Quote:

Great, I never claimed it wasn't. That is usually the #1 reason people leave CA and some of the big cities here.
You seem to implied it wasn't the number one reason. I stated cost was the #1 reason for out-migration from the metro and you rebutted that some people leave due to the "state of the city". Well, duh some leave for other reasons.. just like some people leave SD it's relative dead-end'ness and it's out of control illegal immigration issues.

Quote:
If it makes you feel better I think NYC is one of the best cities in America, I love that place.
No, you've got it all wrong. New York City is the best city in America, not one of the bests.

Last edited by Yac; 03-30-2010 at 07:01 AM.. Reason: rude

Old 03-18-2010, 10:33 PM

305 posts, read 771,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CL63 View Post
They may have been priced out of NYC and forced into NC, most of them are still aware that New York City is the best city in the US. They just can't afford to live there anymore.
He's back.

We missed you, man. Why don't you come back to the L.A. forums so you can finish explaining to everybody why L.A. isn't a good food city?

Old 03-18-2010, 10:53 PM

924 posts, read 1,643,645 times
Quote:
If it makes you feel better I think NYC is one of the best cities in America, I love that place. I don't understand why some of you NY posters get so defensive and start bashing other places when someone points out some of the negatives of NYC. I have no problem admitting the faults of CA, I guess some of you just aren't that confident in NYC and can't handle any sort of objective criticism.
This is exactly what I was thinking. If these idiots thought New York was so great!!! they would be out enjoying its merits, not wasting their time trying to convince random people on the internet how awesome it is. They're probably trying to convince themselves that it's awesome at the same time.

Old 03-18-2010, 11:02 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,923,687 times
Ok NYC is desirable. Congratulations. Los Angeles is also desirable.

Old 03-18-2010, 11:09 PM

37,123 posts, read 39,337,475 times
Default I like where this thread is going!

CL63, I like blatant lies! They're a lot of fun. Just in case anyone is taking you seriously though, I'd like to mention that biotech in SD is huge and there are a lot of companies and research facilities in that field doing some cutting-edge work in SD. Generally, that kind of work doesn't get done very well with the idiotic, moronic, or cretinous. I think it's odd that someone as fancy as you weren't able to mingle with those of high IQ (because that is very important!) in SD--though maybe you're right! It is kind of nonsensical that difficult research in one of the most innovative fields being done in a safe city with an attractive climate would attract anyone from the Ivy Leagues.

And why are you trying to compare states to metros when someone as well informed as you should know how states don't function nearly as much as a unit than metros do.

Llewelyn, you don't like NYC. That's great, because it's hard to expect everyone to like it. However, I don't think your experiences of NYC being a dirty cesspool and its residents being likewise is actually that of the majority of people. It's kind of hard to paint a city of 8+ million with such a broad stroke, but I'm glad you're managing! Also, internet threats are the best! I, too, wish to throttle everyone on this board!

Old 03-18-2010, 11:10 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,923,687 times
Honestly if I could find a steady job out there, I'd move to LA right now. California is EASILY the most desirable state in the US. When you look at the rest of California OUTSIDE of just LA, ALOT of the state consist of expensive real-estate because of it's desirability. Whereas New York seems to be VERY expensive only around the Greater NYC Tri-State Combined Statistical Area. NYC is a GREAT city, but California is a GREAT state.

Old 03-18-2010, 11:17 PM

924 posts, read 1,643,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Llewelyn, you don't like NYC. That's great, because it's hard to expect everyone to like it. However, I don't think your experiences of NYC being a dirty cesspool and its residents being likewise is actually that of the majority of people. It's kind of hard to paint a city of 8+ million with such a broad stroke, but I'm glad you're managing! Also, internet threats are the best! I, too, wish to throttle everyone on this board!
Hey OyCrumber, thanks for your take on the situation! Since you know, I asked for your opinion and all...

You're right, internet threats are retarded, I'm just letting the guy know that the way he talks to others is grounds for getting his butt kicked, though he probably has already.

I also agree that NYC people aren't all dirty. I was more referring to the crowd that he hangs out with. It's easy to tell from his attitude that he's part of the clique I described, so I only focused on that part which is, unfortunately, a large presence in New York. For another reference point on this forum, gulfstreamliberal seems to have a similar snide attitude.

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Honestly if I could find a steady job out there, I'd move to LA right now. California is EASILY the most desirable state in the US. When you look at the rest of California OUTSIDE of just LA, ALOT of the state consist of expensive real-estate because of it's desirability. Whereas New York seems to be VERY expensive only around the Greater NYC Tri-State Combined Statistical Area. NYC is a GREAT city, but California is a GREAT state.
I'm with you all the way, I plan on moving out there as soon as I can. LA has the proximity to other desirable places that NY does not. That sums up the East in general, though. It just doesn't interest me.

Old 03-18-2010, 11:18 PM

37,123 posts, read 39,337,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Llewelyn View Post
Hey OyCrumber, thanks for your take on the situation! Since you know, I asked for your opinion and all...

You're right, internet threats are retarded, I'm just letting the guy know that the way he talks to others is grounds for getting his butt kicked, though he probably has already.

I also agree that NYC people aren't all dirty. I was more referring to the crowd that he hangs out with. It's easy to tell from his attitude that he's part of the clique I described, so I only focused on that part which is, unfortunately, a large presence in New York. For another reference point on this forum, gulfstreamliberal seems to have a similar snide attitude.
They are obviously characters meant to egg on this kind of fun! We all enjoy encouraging this behavior as much as possible, don't we?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City