Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best up and coming DT?
Atlanta 19 14.50%
Dallas 11 8.40%
Houston 9 6.87%
Denver 10 7.63%
San Diego 5 3.82%
Pittsburgh 3 2.29%
Baltimore 5 3.82%
Miami 3 2.29%
Mineapolis 6 4.58%
Sacramento 2 1.53%
Milwaukee 2 1.53%
Indianapolis 1 0.76%
Cleveland 2 1.53%
Columbus 2 1.53%
Cinncinatti 1 0.76%
St. Louis 7 5.34%
KC 1 0.76%
LA 15 11.45%
Phoenix 4 3.05%
Tampa 1 0.76%
Orlando 3 2.29%
Charlotte 9 6.87%
Austin 5 3.82%
Las Vegas 2 1.53%
Nashville 3 2.29%
Voters: 131. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2013, 12:04 PM

2,322 posts, read 2,992,907 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
What city would downtown L.A. pass to be in the top 5? D.C. is the only city of the top 6 based on construction and expansion that I could see moving up the list in the next 15 years. All the other cities including L.A. seem to be building at the same rate so as L.A. gets better, so will the others. Now, if L.A. somehow starts building like D.C. concentrated in downtown, all the cities better watch out.
It pretty much is doing that right now. Although other sections of the city are seeing development as well, there is probably more focus on DTLA now than ever. DTLA has loads of potential that is already getting exposed and will only become better as rail transit is expanded and more retail and housing is announced. I'm not sure if it will be top 5, but it is definitely making a case for itself to be among one of the best DT in America. Other cities like Atlanta, Houston, Dallas & Charlotte will not be able to compete with the what DTLA has to offer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2013, 12:32 PM

1,637 posts, read 2,630,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamills21 View Post
It pretty much is doing that right now. Although other sections of the city are seeing development as well, there is probably more focus on DTLA now than ever. DTLA has loads of potential that is already getting exposed and will only become better as rail transit is expanded and more retail and housing is announced. I'm not sure if it will be top 5, but it is definitely making a case for itself to be among one of the best DT in America. Other cities like Atlanta, Houston, Dallas & Charlotte will not be able to compete with the what DTLA has to offer.
Why compare DTLA to these smaller cities. Compare it to NYC, Chicago, DC, Philly, etc

Old 11-25-2013, 12:45 PM

1,072 posts, read 2,917,654 times
whoever voted for minneapolis needs to stop? sure you have restaurants, sporting events, and your theaters. but without retail shopping, i can't vouch for a decent downtown. the problem is the mall of american is 20 minutes away in bloomington mn. im used to that new york, philly downtown. vendors selling hot dogs and t shirts on the street. $5.00 phone chargers, belts, t-shirts. just your everyday blue collar worker getting their hustle on. thats what i love about downtowns

Old 11-25-2013, 01:08 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,966,660 times
Downtown's Chicago and Washington.

Old 11-25-2013, 01:23 PM

1,445 posts, read 2,321,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daboywonder2002 View Post
whoever voted for minneapolis needs to stop? sure you have restaurants, sporting events, and your theaters. but without retail shopping, i can't vouch for a decent downtown. the problem is the mall of american is 20 minutes away in bloomington mn. im used to that new york, philly downtown. vendors selling hot dogs and t shirts on the street. $5.00 phone chargers, belts, t-shirts. just your everyday blue collar worker getting their hustle on. thats what i love about downtowns
Um you can't even spell Minneapolis. The poll is closed, no one is voting for any city.

Old 11-25-2013, 01:56 PM

37,148 posts, read 39,404,784 times
Quote:
What city would downtown L.A. pass to be in the top 5? D.C. is the only city of the top 6 based on construction and expansion that I could see moving up the list in the next 15 years. All the other cities including L.A. seem to be building at the same rate so as L.A. gets better, so will the others. Now, if L.A. somehow starts building like D.C. concentrated in downtown, all the cities better watch out.
LA is concentrating a lot of its construction downtown. It's also done, and still in the midst of doing, a lot of conversions. It's also getting a mixed-use supertall (among many other skyscrapers which mean huge job, residential and commercial densities), extensions of rail, new stops for grade separated light rail, a streetcar system, a new major museum, the Grand Avenue project, through-run tracks for its commuter rail system, ostensibly a high speed rail connection (ha! let's just take this one off the list).

I think LA has pretty good odds. The other one is Brooklyn, but that's not technically a city.

Old 11-25-2013, 02:35 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,760,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
LA is concentrating a lot of its construction downtown. It's also done, and still in the midst of doing, a lot of conversions. It's also getting a mixed-use supertall (among many other skyscrapers which mean huge job, residential and commercial densities), extensions of rail, new stops for grade separated light rail, a streetcar system, a new major museum, the Grand Avenue project, through-run tracks for its commuter rail system, ostensibly a high speed rail connection (ha! let's just take this one off the list).

I think LA has pretty good odds. The other one is Brooklyn, but that's not technically a city.
So which city do you think downtown L.A. can pass? D.C. is building more in it's core than any of the big 6 downtown's in the country by a 3:1 margin including L.A. Also, Philly, NYC, San Fran, and Chicago have a considerable lead on L.A. Boston would be the only city I could see L.A. catching but they are building too. Is L.A. building 2:1 against NYC, Chicago, San Fran, Philly, or Boston that they would be able to close the gap? Remember, it's not like the big 6 downtowns are just standing still while L.A. improves. They are all improving and that would be an understatement for D.C. which I'm sure you already know. Which downtown do you think L.A. could catch?

Old 11-25-2013, 02:41 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,760,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamills21 View Post

Could you post how many projects are moving in downtown L.A.? I thought it was just a handful like 8-10 projects etc. I'm sure L.A. is building and I have seen many of the projects, however, D.C. is in a different league in downtown core construction right now so it would be apples and oranges to compare them. I wonder if L.A. is building more than Boston though? That is the only city I could see L.A. passing but only if Boston isn't really building in downtown.

Old 11-25-2013, 02:49 PM

15 posts, read 23,313 times
Syracuse and Rochester aren't bad. They're not particularly big, though.
I've heard great things about Pittsburgh, but have not been there.
Cleveland is revitalizing, too; There's tons to do in the Ohio City district.

Last edited by OrilliaONT; 11-25-2013 at 03:31 PM.. Reason: Added more information

Old 11-25-2013, 02:58 PM

484 posts, read 871,817 times
Quote:
Could you post how many projects are moving in downtown L.A.? I thought it was just a handful like 8-10 projects etc. I'm sure L.A. is building and I have seen many of the projects, however, D.C. is in a different league in downtown core construction right now so it would be apples and oranges to compare them. I wonder if L.A. is building more than Boston though? That is the only city I could see L.A. passing but only if Boston isn't really building in downtown.
Here you go: The Development Scene: The Latest Info on 94 Downtown Projects - Los Angeles Downtown News
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City