Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best up and coming DT?
Atlanta 19 14.50%
Dallas 11 8.40%
Houston 9 6.87%
Denver 10 7.63%
San Diego 5 3.82%
Pittsburgh 3 2.29%
Baltimore 5 3.82%
Miami 3 2.29%
Mineapolis 6 4.58%
Sacramento 2 1.53%
Milwaukee 2 1.53%
Indianapolis 1 0.76%
Cleveland 2 1.53%
Columbus 2 1.53%
Cinncinatti 1 0.76%
St. Louis 7 5.34%
KC 1 0.76%
LA 15 11.45%
Phoenix 4 3.05%
Tampa 1 0.76%
Orlando 3 2.29%
Charlotte 9 6.87%
Austin 5 3.82%
Las Vegas 2 1.53%
Nashville 3 2.29%
Voters: 131. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2013, 03:58 PM

37,152 posts, read 39,404,784 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
All kinds, why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2013, 04:09 PM

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid...a=0&dg=feature

Recent and upcoming residential developments for a place that was already residentially dense.

Old 11-26-2013, 04:19 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,213,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
No it is probably closer to 80 than 8... But really, there are at least a few dozen really huge projects going on. It seems like the most active area is around 8th and Grand and expanding outwards through South Park and the Financial District, but Bunker Hill has had some pretty decent action as well. Other areas seeing action include the Historic Core, Fashion District, Little Tokyo and the Arts District.

LOS ANGELES | Central City Project Rundown 5.0 - SkyscraperPage Forum

This shows 19 projects currently under construction, and a few that are listed as Approved are U/C - so the list is closer to 24. Not sure how it compares as far as residential units that are U/C, maybe not that great as mentioned above. One other thing is these don't include Adaptive Reuse projects, which are a huge part of the sea-change DTLA has experienced.

Los Angeles is definitely building more than Boston - this is pretty logical because DTLA has so many more empty lots and low-intensity uses than Boston has - it is easier and there are more opportunities for development. Seems like most of Boston's work is at the harbor area and Back Bay. They were building a high-rise near Water Street when I worked in the Harbor area, it is pretty impressive how much that area has changed.

As far as what cities can DTLA pass, it could pass them all if it ever was built out like this: What Happens if 4.3 Million People Are Crammed in Downtown? - Video Interlude - Curbed LA

Or similar to the way DTLA looks in the trailer for that new movie Her:
Her TRAILER 1 (2013) - Joaquin Phoenix, Scarlett Johansson Movie HD - YouTube

But really it will just be a tie between the bottom half of the top 5 I think, no city gets "bumped".
Heh..."Her", interesting movie title.

Old 11-26-2013, 04:20 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,213,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatsbyGatz View Post
Seattle is undergoing more construction than any other city save for NYC/Chicago. As much as people are glorifying the construction in DTLA, Seattle blows it out of the water right now. Cranes towering the sky everywhere. I would know, I just moved up here from LA.
It will be interesting to see what Seattle's skyline will look like by 2020 along with Vancouver's as they continue to battle for skyline supremacy in the PNW.

Old 11-26-2013, 04:55 PM

632 posts, read 932,998 times
Sorry if this was already mentioned (I searched and didn't see it), but here's some good news for Atlanta NY developer reveals plans for 3 new Atlanta skyscrapers | What Now Atlanta

And I know this thread is for downtown, but I'd argue that downtown and midtown Atlanta are essentially the same anyway.

Old 11-26-2013, 05:06 PM

2,985 posts, read 4,886,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd_96 View Post
Sorry if this was already mentioned (I searched and didn't see it), but here's some good news for Atlanta NY developer reveals plans for 3 new Atlanta skyscrapers | What Now Atlanta

And I know this thread is for downtown, but I'd argue that downtown and midtown Atlanta are essentially the same anyway.
Of the three towers, the tallest is alleged to be 56-stories tall, and the second, 46-stories tall.

Nearly every city in the US right now has these kinds of buildings under construction right now.

Also, this would not be Atlanta’s tallest. Office buildings are taller per floor than residential buildings so total height would be close the height of the 41-story 1180 office building. The tallest by floor count is the 70-story Westin Peachtree Plaza followed by the 60-story Suntrust Plaza. The tallest of the proposed towers will be "one" of Atlanta's tallest, but not the tallest.

Old 11-26-2013, 05:27 PM

13,728 posts, read 15,760,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
All kinds, why?
I was thinking more of a list. I have not spent much time in downtown Brooklyn. I have only been to Flatbush and Bedstey where my friends lived.

Old 11-26-2013, 05:48 PM

632 posts, read 932,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatsbyGatz View Post
Of the three towers, the tallest is alleged to be 56-stories tall, and the second, 46-stories tall.

Nearly every city in the US right now has these kinds of buildings under construction right now.

Also, this would not be Atlanta’s tallest. Office buildings are taller per floor than residential buildings so total height would be close the height of the 41-story 1180 office building. The tallest by floor count is the 70-story Westin Peachtree Plaza followed by the 60-story Suntrust Plaza. The tallest of the proposed towers will be "one" of Atlanta's tallest, but not the tallest.
No one said it would be the tallest. What are you pointing out?

Old 11-26-2013, 06:12 PM

Quote:
I was thinking more of a list. I have not spent much time in downtown Brooklyn. I have only been to Flatbush and Bedstey where my friends lived.
Oh, there's performance art centers with BAM being the most notable and BargeMusic nearby (extended downtown?), a few random museums, some interesting community spaces like Eyebeam which sponsors and supports artworks dealing with media/technology or Genspace which is sort of a hackerspace focusing on biotechnologies, the Barclays center, a few colleges/universities that put on events, events in front of the borough hall, festivals, the weekly Brooklyn Flea, etc. It's a really active community or communities of people contributing to a constant stream of activities and a pretty good cycle of production and exhibition.

Old 11-27-2013, 01:18 AM

165 posts, read 277,042 times
Quote:
Brooklyn is nothing special in my book. Who cares about its over spent and broke arena, the tightly cramped art scene and its diffuse museum scene? Its downtown is not cohesive now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City