Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best up and coming DT?
Atlanta 19 14.50%
Dallas 11 8.40%
Houston 9 6.87%
Denver 10 7.63%
San Diego 5 3.82%
Pittsburgh 3 2.29%
Baltimore 5 3.82%
Miami 3 2.29%
Mineapolis 6 4.58%
Sacramento 2 1.53%
Milwaukee 2 1.53%
Indianapolis 1 0.76%
Cleveland 2 1.53%
Columbus 2 1.53%
Cinncinatti 1 0.76%
St. Louis 7 5.34%
KC 1 0.76%
LA 15 11.45%
Phoenix 4 3.05%
Tampa 1 0.76%
Orlando 3 2.29%
Charlotte 9 6.87%
Austin 5 3.82%
Las Vegas 2 1.53%
Nashville 3 2.29%
Voters: 131. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2010, 05:43 PM

1,201 posts, read 2,347,596 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARaider08 View Post
I'm interested in Denver. I've always seen it as a resort town. I'm probably just naive, but the West Coast has always been a mystery to me. Been to 5 countries and 20-something states, but the west eludes me. Out of curiosity, what makes Denver so special?
btw, whoever voted for Charlotte... ugh...ugh...ugh... There's really no appeal to it what-so-ever... Like, outside of a couple of nice concert halls and a bunch of clubs, it's really just a bunch of tall buildings clumped together...
DT Charlotte in a nutshell while driving "Oh, here it is... 3 minutes later... Oh, there it goes. Ooh, cows, pasture, trains, and... er, stuff
a nicer southern way to say it: charlotte hasn't put in its time. i love antiques. i love finely built furniture. it is the smell, the feel, the depth of color, alas, the patina that has to be present. most who have been to charlotte see something happening, growth, regrowth, etc. but, it will be so much more in 50 to 75 years. i wish that more of a historical perspective had prevailed, as their building boom got underway in the downtown area. but, just like so many places, that often takes a backseat to progress.

recently, my parish church was partially destroyed and heavily damaged by a tornado. decisions were made, two layers of black walnut flooring, solid walnut doors, old wide plank pine flooring, oak surrounds, etc., etc., were tossed out to the dumpster. late in the evening, my friend and i went through the garbage to pick out and salvage wood moldings that had been in place since 1736, in some instances. one item was a beautiful solid walnut lectern. the post, which is pegged to adjust the top of the reading desk, was found, then i found the lectern top. it was in two pieces, nevertheless, i found it, the hardware, and the ornamental wood mounts, along w/ the ornamental peg.

simply my point is cities that have beautiful patinas (nola, charleston, savannah, memphis, st. louis, louisville, new york, on and on) have those patinas because of preservation. it is sad when hurricanes, earthquakes, tornadoes, fires, or the lack of thought destroys years and years of beauty. going back and looking at some of the buildings that have been lost in charlotte is, somewhat, sad. progressive can be exciting and vibrant, but it is much better to see the new intergrated w/ the old. it has been my experience that most people who see the new south, see nothing but a cluster of big, shiny, new buildings. one can walk into a new mansion, have new furnishings throughout, yet after looking around, one realizes that the new has left no past.

having been born and reared in chicago, and, after living a while in the east, and being educated in the east, i think this is the reason i enjoy the perspective of those who live in the large urban eastern cities. they have the "patina". as more and more southern cities rise, i hope we will keep this in mind and incorporate, reuse, and integrate the old w/ the new.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2010, 06:02 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,365,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingchef View Post
a nicer southern way to say it: charlotte hasn't put in its time. i love antiques. i love finely built furniture. it is the smell, the feel, the depth of color, alas, the patina that has to be present. most who have been to charlotte see something happening, growth, regrowth, etc. but, it will be so much more in 50 to 75 years. i wish that more of a historical perspective had prevailed, as their building boom got underway in the downtown area. but, just like so many places, that often takes a backseat to progress.

recently, my parish church was partially destroyed and heavily damaged by a tornado. decisions were made, two layers of black walnut flooring, solid walnut doors, old wide plank pine flooring, oak surrounds, etc., etc., were tossed out to the dumpster. late in the evening, my friend and i went through the garbage to pick out and salvage wood moldings that had been in place since 1736, in some instances. one item was a beautiful solid walnut lectern. the post, which is pegged to adjust the top of the reading desk, was found, then i found the lectern top. it was in two pieces, nevertheless, i found it, the hardware, and the ornamental wood mounts, along w/ the ornamental peg.

simply my point is cities that have beautiful patinas (nola, charleston, savannah, memphis, st. louis, louisville, new york, on and on) have those patinas because of preservation. it is sad when hurricanes, earthquakes, tornadoes, fires, or the lack of thought destroys years and years of beauty. going back and looking at some of the buildings that have been lost in charlotte is, somewhat, sad. progressive can be exciting and vibrant, but it is much better to see the new intergrated w/ the old. it has been my experience that most people who see the new south, see nothing but a cluster of big, shiny, new buildings. one can walk into a new mansion, have new furnishings throughout, yet after looking around, one realizes that the new has left no past.

having been born and reared in chicago, and, after living a while in the east, and being educated in the east, i think this is the reason i enjoy the perspective of those who live in the large urban eastern cities. they have the "patina". as more and more southern cities rise, i hope we will keep this in mind and incorporate, reuse, and integrate the old w/ the new.
Absolutely excellent post!

Old 02-11-2010, 06:14 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,558,979 times
Indeed some excellent points made there.

Underneath the big modern glass towers of some of the "newer" downtowns are some historic buildings and such. I recently did a tour of Downtown Houston where I went through such spots which you can see here.

That really isn't the "up and coming" for the most part though, yet it will be interesting to see what comes of the renewal project of Market Square (once the city's focal point, back in the streetcar days). I'd say the "up and coming" is east of Main Street, which is working on becoming a more entertainment-oriented place than the usual image of the office tower cluster that goes dead after dark.

Old 02-11-2010, 06:20 PM

1,117 posts, read 2,927,069 times
Downtown St Louis has improved from a bombed out shell in the 90's to a respectable downtown today. There has been a lot of investment with quite a few improvements coming in the future. The renovation of the Kiel Opera House, riverfront, and if the credit market starts to improve some new construction. The population continues to grow and is gaining momentum.

Old 02-11-2010, 08:45 PM

13 posts, read 47,520 times
LA has a definite future.

Old 02-11-2010, 10:06 PM

649 posts, read 1,423,973 times
I think that the smaller cities seem to have much more going on because you notice it more.

Old 02-12-2010, 12:18 AM

937 posts, read 927,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
I'd say that Charlotte has one of the Nation's fastest up and coming downtowns.
Meh... I really can't agree. I really wish I could, considering I'm here for school a few months at a time, but downtown (uptown?) really seems like a gimmick more than an actual attraction for Charlotte. I mean, it's better than other's in NC, but it's still lacking that real "downtown" feel that many other big cities have. There's really a lack of vibrancy most of the time. I do like that museum that's counter-balanced by one column.

Old 02-12-2010, 12:21 AM

937 posts, read 927,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingchef View Post

Wow, that was insightful... And I really have to agree w/ u there.

Old 02-12-2010, 12:24 AM

649 posts, read 1,423,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARaider08 View Post
Meh... I really can't agree. I really wish I could, considering I'm here for school a few months at a time, but downtown (uptown?) really seems like a gimmick more than an actual attraction for Charlotte. I mean, it's better than other's in NC, but it's still lacking that real "downtown" feel that many other big cities have. There's really a lack of vibrancy most of the time. I do like that museum that's counter-balanced by one column.
Charlotteans are about to jump all over you lol. Im getting my popcorn.

Old 02-12-2010, 12:41 AM

15,216 posts, read 30,558,979 times
I had to look up and actually see if that was the proper demonym for a Charlotte resident. Interesting they would call themselves something phonetically similar to "charlatan." Which these forums are full of, though not from any one city.

Anyway...

I couldn't call Uptown Charlotte (a downtown by any other name is...) a gimmick any more than I would any other Sun Belt city's downtown. It's still missing that one vital piece like the others, and that's a strong residential component. And in time I'd say Raleigh would have a downtown to be reckoned with - at least with other cities in its league, so to speak.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City