Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best up and coming DT?
Atlanta 19 14.50%
Dallas 11 8.40%
Houston 9 6.87%
Denver 10 7.63%
San Diego 5 3.82%
Pittsburgh 3 2.29%
Baltimore 5 3.82%
Miami 3 2.29%
Mineapolis 6 4.58%
Sacramento 2 1.53%
Milwaukee 2 1.53%
Indianapolis 1 0.76%
Cleveland 2 1.53%
Columbus 2 1.53%
Cinncinatti 1 0.76%
St. Louis 7 5.34%
KC 1 0.76%
LA 15 11.45%
Phoenix 4 3.05%
Tampa 1 0.76%
Orlando 3 2.29%
Charlotte 9 6.87%
Austin 5 3.82%
Las Vegas 2 1.53%
Nashville 3 2.29%
Voters: 131. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2010, 12:49 AM

649 posts, read 1,423,973 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
I had to look up and actually see if that was the proper demonym for a Charlotte resident. Interesting they would call themselves something phonetically similar to "charlatan." Which these forums are full of, though not from any one city.

Anyway...

I couldn't call Uptown Charlotte (a downtown by any other name is...) a gimmick any more than I would any other Sun Belt city's downtown. It's still missing that one vital piece like the others, and that's a strong residential component. And in time I'd say Raleigh would have a downtown to be reckoned with - at least with other cities in its league, so to speak.
LOL! This is so true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2010, 06:07 AM

2,856 posts, read 4,619,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
Well, no one believes me when I talk about my experiences in the south since it doesn't belong to their hyped up opinion. I'm used to it.
Rachael,

I'm from Atlanta (Marietta to be exact) and there's no way that you were riding down Peachtree Street and it was dead. LOL, maybe it was Peachtree Ind. Blvd in Norcross and you assumed it was Atlanta.

Old 02-12-2010, 01:57 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,939,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdw1084 View Post
Rachael,

I'm from Atlanta (Marietta to be exact) and there's no way that you were riding down Peachtree Street and it was dead. LOL, maybe it was Peachtree Ind. Blvd in Norcross and you assumed it was Atlanta.

It's where our hotel was an it was the same road that leads to Turner field, but about a 10 minute drive from it. We spent some time at ESPN Zone because of my friend's kids. We're both thinking of the same thing.

Old 02-12-2010, 02:06 PM

649 posts, read 1,423,973 times
Quote:
It's where our hotel was an it was the same road that leads to Turner field, but about a 10 minute drive from it. We spent some time at ESPN Zone because of my friend's kids. We're both thinking of the same thing.
As far as padestrian activity, I can see your point being that you are from New York. With that being said, what days were you here and what part of the year? ESPN Zone is closed by the way. How long ago was this?

Old 02-12-2010, 02:27 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,558,979 times
Quote:
So you're pretending to know what's what in places you hardly know when you can't even give a straight answer on where you were or where you stayed? Sounds like you weren't paying that much attention when you visited - that is, if you even visited.

I could look at Google Maps street view for a bit and then pretend on the Internet I've been anywhere I want to.

Old 02-12-2010, 03:48 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,939,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
So you're pretending to know what's what in places you hardly know when you can't even give a straight answer on where you were or where you stayed? Sounds like you weren't paying that much attention when you visited - that is, if you even visited.

I could look at Google Maps street view for a bit and then pretend on the Internet I've been anywhere I want to.

I'm not lying...I've said countless times that I've been to spring training about 7 times, an a few of those times I stopped in Atlanta to meet my friends so we could drive down together. It was a pretty central spot to meet. Believe me or don't believe me. I'm not lying about where I've been. I wouldn't go out of my way to explain this stuff. The Espn zone may not be there not, but it was over 3 or 4 years ago when i was there. I wouldn't know that by looking at google maps, to see what used to be there.

Old 02-12-2010, 06:18 PM

1,004 posts, read 2,772,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caymon83 View Post
Lets face it, most US downtowns are pretty lackluster.

But most cities have been trying to improve...with mixed success.

Portland and Seattle are obvious success stories. Neither city is particularly dense or urban. But, they both have vibrant mixed use downtowns.

There is no reason why these can't be the norm around the country.

Which city or cities are making the best progress in this regard?
Top three:
LA
San Diego
Denver

Yes, I agree Portland and Seattle are just great success stories.

Old 02-12-2010, 06:39 PM

228 posts, read 460,367 times
I'm just not sure that I could vote on this pole, there are so many choices.

Atlanta does have lots of attractions, resteraunts, bars, etc. However, it does have one huge problem. The downtown, and most of the city, isn't very walkable, which is a major problem. Also, Atlanta is almost last in park space for major cities.

Before you call me an Atlanta hater, I live in Atlanta and I always have. I love it, but it does have some flaws. That I, of course, hope will be fixed soon.

Old 02-12-2010, 07:32 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,869,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARaider08 View Post
Meh... I really can't agree. I really wish I could, considering I'm here for school a few months at a time, but downtown (uptown?) really seems like a gimmick more than an actual attraction for Charlotte. I mean, it's better than other's in NC, but it's still lacking that real "downtown" feel that many other big cities have. There's really a lack of vibrancy most of the time. I do like that museum that's counter-balanced by one column.
Not sure what you mean by "gimmick," but uptown is certainly a work in progress and we're constantly making that progress. We know what the missing pieces are (more residential, retail, open spaces, etc.) and we're working to make them realities.

Old 02-12-2010, 07:35 PM

23,463 posts, read 44,090,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
Not sure what you mean by "gimmick," but uptown is certainly a work in progress and we're constantly making that progress. We know what the missing pieces are (more residential, retail, open spaces, etc.) and we're working to make them realities.
As a frequent visitor to Uptown, I think Charlotte has done a commendable job thus far.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City