Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2010, 08:31 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,801,759 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
My friends in Paris and London are well aware of Mardi Gras (one just e-mailed to ask if I was there LOL)...what Europeans seem to be the most aware of in NOLA IME is the city's jazz heritage. Louis Armstrong is like a god to the Parisians.
I agree, New Orleans(and Louisiana) should be VERY well-known in France do to the French culture, and the fact that NO and Louisiana are a Francophone city and state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2010, 09:00 AM

631 posts, read 1,222,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
In terms of gay nightlife I dunno how Houstons is but the Miami scene seems to really be moving up to Ft Lauderdale and their bar scene is pretty sad for a metro that big. And surprisingly not the most attractive people I might add.

Bar scene is sad But the Club scene is on point. Especially during Memorial day weekend most of the gays now are going to straight bars at atleast that's what I used to do back home.Houston gay scene is late.. At least in the black community it is

Last edited by RudeBoy21; 02-16-2010 at 09:27 AM..

Old 02-16-2010, 11:36 AM

3,424 posts, read 5,950,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyMIA View Post
You just said Houston's night life is like the videos and then you say Houston has a good night life? Which one? And it is in no way comparable to Miami's if we are talking Miami/Miami Beach as Miami and Miami Beach put together still does not even get close to the size of Houston both population and area.
Cities that Miami is on in the level of Night Life are:
New York, London, Barcelona, Madrid, Las Vegas, Berlin, Tokyo that is Miami's crowd. Houston does not come close to Miami's night life.

Actually I never stated that Houston's nightlife was like the videos...I never stated that at all...I personally cant even relate to those videos..they resemble almost nothing like Ive experienced in Houston and I dont even know where those spots are. I actually said I liked Houston's nightlife...whereas, If I hadnt actually experienced Houston's nightlife for myself, judging by those video's I would think its nightlife was semi-horrible.

I also dont think Miami's nightlife is on the scale that New York nor Las Vegas' is...Miami has an awesome nightlife, and like I stated it is certainly better than Houston's but thats about it for me.

Old 02-16-2010, 11:38 AM

2,138 posts, read 6,296,951 times
Contrary to what many say on here, New Orleans is definitely on par with Miami when it comes to international recognition. In fact New Orleans's international reputation has a much longer history than Miami--especially considering the fact that it was one of the primary destinations in America for immigrants in the late 19th/early 20th Centuries. Now it may not be as glamorous among the jet-set crowd, especially after the resurgence of South Beach over the past 20 years, but it nonetheless remains a primary destination for international tourists given its history and uniqueness. Mardi Gras is definitely world renown and its musical history is internationally recognized as well.

Old 02-16-2010, 11:51 AM

725 posts, read 1,503,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyMIA View Post
New Orleans does have great night life but it is much more known in the US. It is not on the same level of Miami or Vegas or NYC in world wide popularity. New Orleans does have great night life but it is much more known in the US. It is not on the same level of Miami or Vegas or NYC in world wide popularity. Your poll is America's not the worlds. I will say for the South the battle is between Miami and NO no one comes close and in the US New Orleans might win it is very much liked in the US.
I beg to differ. A lot of my friends that are international have heard of New Orleans. Now they may not think its on the same level as Miami's, because the city is so much smaller... and I thought that too... until I went. NO has to be seen not heard. I wouldn't go off the opinions of people that have not been to both to determine how they rank.

Old 02-16-2010, 11:54 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,801,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by solytaire View Post
Actually I never stated that Houston's nightlife was like the videos...I never stated that at all...I personally cant even relate to those videos..they resemble almost nothing like Ive experienced in Houston and I dont even know where those spots are. I actually said I liked Houston's nightlife...whereas, If I hadnt actually experienced Houston's nightlife for myself, judging by those video's I would think its nightlife was semi-horrible.
I also dont think Miami's nightlife is on the scale that New York nor Las Vegas' is...Miami has an awesome nightlife, and like I stated it is certainly better than Houston's but thats about it for me.
Miami's nightlife scene is on NYC's level. LV is debatable, because it was built for the sole-purpose of nightlife.

Old 02-16-2010, 11:55 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,037,981 times
We should let Miami have this; it's beaches and nightlife is the only thing its got going for it.

Old 02-16-2010, 12:01 PM

4,419 posts, read 6,234,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RudeBoy21 View Post
Bar scene is sad But the Club scene is on point. Especially during Memorial day weekend most of the gays now are going to straight bars at atleast that's what I used to do back home.Houston gay scene is late.. At least in the black community it is
Yes that is definitely the case. my family has a second home in Ft Lauderdale so I frequent the area. As for the club scene, ya I do think a lot of people just go to straight clubs in the area, especially since Colliseum closed down. But you have to admit for a metro area that big, you'd expect more options.

Old 02-16-2010, 12:03 PM

2,531 posts, read 6,222,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
We should let Miami have this; it's beaches and nightlife is the only thing its got going for it.
^^Quite an ignorant statement and demonstrating that you don't know anything about Miami. No surprise coming from you though.

Old 02-16-2010, 12:06 PM

2,023 posts, read 4,168,308 times
Other than beaches and the club scene, what else does Miami have to offer as far as nightlife? Clubs are very low what appeals to me in a city's nightlife, although I can understand why people like a good club scene.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City