Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2010, 12:26 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,005,791 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
I'm trying to get you to see that tourism alone is not going to bring flights (With the exception of a place like Vegas or Orlando). Business and "Ethnic" travel basically do that every else. Your trying to make it as if it's that simple, when it's not.

Consider this.
New Orleans was bigger than Miami back then. MSY was one of the biggest aiports in the country that far back, bigger than MIA. Eastern and PanAM had Latin America covered from MSY. Not to mention TACA, Aviateca, AeroMexico. That's not included service from Europe or the Caribbean.

NOLA may pale in numbers with Miami today, but back then it was a force to be reckoned with. Therefore you can't just say that NOLA isn't known world-wide like Miami. NOLA was known before Miami.

As far as comparing them both to Houston... No Contest.
Well I did not know that information about MSY thanks for the info. As for the tourist flights I understand what you are saying now. New Orleans does not have the shear numbers like Orlando or Vegas does.

As for the houston thing could not agree with you more
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2010, 04:34 PM

631 posts, read 1,228,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyMIA View Post
Exactly there is no money to be made in New Orleans because not enough people travel there. If there was enough traveling to New Orleans an airline would fly it, a high density low service airline like Air Berlin or Monarch would be on it. Air Berlin flys to Ft. Myers not exactly a large place but hey there is money there so why not fly it yet there is not enough demand in international tourism to fly a MSY-Europe flight. That is the point I am trying to make.

I guess agree to disagree but I think Miami is still much more known internationally. One of my spanish professors here in Spain knew nothing about Maurdi Graus as it was brought up in class today.

I am sure people in Dubai know more about Miami then New Orleans or people in Argentina or Japan etc.. Yes New Orleans is known internationally but I just dont see it on the same level thats all. (again agree to disagree) Until one of us takes a poll outside in a few countries we will never know

As for MSY being the gateway to the America's thats a nice sign and all and maybe they did have some flights but Miami was the gateway to the America's starting in the 1930s with Dinner Key with Pan Am. MIA became a large gateway in the 1950s when Pan Am stopped flying the flying boats and moved operations to MIA. So starting in the 1950s MIA has always been a big international Gateway. 30 years ago in 1980 Eastern and Pan Am were flying flights all over Latin America from their Miami hub.

Your right man its not on miamis level internationally at all yall talking things happen almost 100 years ago this is 2010 we are live ing for the future not the past..

Old 02-19-2010, 05:23 PM

4,230 posts, read 10,484,556 times
Quote:
Well I did not know that information about MSY thanks for the info. As for the tourist flights I understand what you are saying now. New Orleans does not have the shear numbers like Orlando or Vegas does.

I learned a little about MIA as well.

Old 02-20-2010, 08:10 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,937,981 times
Quote:

I'd say Miami and Houston are pretty comparable as far as worldwide recognition. Houston may be a little more diverse, but I'm sure both are equally internationally recognized.

Old 02-20-2010, 09:29 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,739,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
I'd say Miami and Houston are pretty comparable as far as worldwide recognition. Houston may be a little more diverse, but I'm sure both are equally internationally recognized.
I dont think so. People will know the name Houston anywhere in the world, but people know alot more about Miami. Only NYC, LA, and perhaps SF and Chicago have as much/more recognition than Miami worldwide.

Old 02-20-2010, 09:31 AM

358 posts, read 755,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Uhhh...no. Houston is barely known in our own country, what makes you think people around the world would know anything about it? Miami is known for it's beaches, art deco, nightlife of South Beach. And Houston? Please fill in the blank for us.

Do you think the sherpa living in the Himalayas dreams about moving to Houston one day? Get real.

Old 02-20-2010, 10:05 AM

7,845 posts, read 20,805,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxposure View Post
Uhhh...no. Houston is barely known in our own country, what makes you think people around the world would know anything about it? Miami is known for it's beaches, art deco, nightlife of South Beach. And Houston? Please fill in the blank for us.

Do you think the sherpa living in the Himalayas dreams about moving to Houston one day? Get real.
No...and they don't dream about going to Miami either.

I would guess that Miami is more recognized internationally than Houston, but both cities are well known.

Old 02-20-2010, 10:15 AM

358 posts, read 755,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
No...and they don't dream about going to Miami either.

I would guess that Miami is more recognized internationally than Houston, but both cities are well known.
You sure about that? I bet they'd jump at the chance to live on the beach and wear short sleeves year-round. They don't even know what a "Houston" is, my friend.

Old 02-20-2010, 11:50 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,739,757 times
Quote:
They don't even know what a "Houston" is, my friend.
As someone who spends half his time overseas, that isnt true either. Ive never met anyone who hadnt heard of Houston. They know its a large city in Texas and that NASA is there. Most of the time thats the extent of it. I have met people overseas who had relatives there too.

To say its unknown overseas is inaccurate. Its known by pretty much everyone even if they dont know that much about it.

However, Miami is definately alot better known.

Old 02-20-2010, 11:57 AM

7,845 posts, read 20,805,239 times
Quote:
You sure about that? I bet they'd jump at the chance to live on the beach and wear short sleeves year-round. They don't even know what a "Houston" is, my friend.
...and you truly believe that people in some Himalayan village know where Miami is?

Miami is probably more well known, but I'm pretty sure that neither is a topic of conversation in less connected, less educated, less urban areas of the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City