Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2010, 12:22 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,301,517 times

Advertisements

Austins culture seems to be centered around the cities core. In a place like Houston that has several areas, is there a particular part of the city outside of downtown that is the main bar/club scene?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2010, 12:24 PM

631 posts, read 1,228,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
I never did check out Castleberry Hill when I lived in Atlanta but I have heard it has a cool vibe. The downtown business district stays buzzing with a lot of hotel/convention business, I wouldnt say its a hot club scene there though. The intersection at International and Peachtree always has people walking around. The Buckhead bar scene now is pretty lame compared to what Buckhead Village used to be. The Crescent strip in Midtown is bumpin on the weekends (dont try to drive down that street, you wont get far). Virginia Highland has a nice neighborhood bar hop feel to it, It was prob my fav. Wasnt too crowded but had a healthy amount of people. The gay nightlife in Atlanta seems to be in a bit of a lull right now since Wetbar closed, I really hope someone opens a nice upscale dance club in Atlanta and I really missed Red Chair when they closed it down. Those were my two favorite places to go in that city. Now they are gone with the wind!
Well maybe for the caucasin its a bit lull But for my African american gay scene its Always bumpin Monday thru sunday... I go to Heritic blakes, swinging richards and the Jungle with 2 of my caucasin friends. and I have a good time.. but im not that intuned with that scene so you could be right.. I can name at least 15 african american gay establishments and places that have alternative nights... This whole nightlife perpective is based on what type of crowds you want to be around whether your gay or straight... so one city could be better than the other based on your interest and what you like

Old 02-11-2010, 12:27 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,206,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpmeads View Post
Although I agree that Houston's night life is probably more diverse, I don't know if I would agree that Austin's nightlife is still only geared towards college students. Every time I go to downtown Austin, I see a lot of people in they're late 20's or early 30's bar hopping or going to clubs on 6th street or else where in downtown. It seems like Austin is gradually becoming a very yuppie town which is kind of annoying. Although, it's not very common to see anyone over 35 on 6th street. Houston is a very big and diverse city and I would expect its nightlife to reflect that, BUT downtown Austin is MUCH livelier than downtown Houston. I can testify to that from experience.
Houston is also very spread out and while it's nightlife doesn't compare with places like Miami. It offers more than Austin's. Many people comment that once you reach a certain age in Austin (approx. 25+). The scene becomes very dull and boring; Houston offers to more age groups, but the difference is that clubs and party districts are spread out (Washington Ave, Midtown, Downtown, Uptown, Montrose area, and you have lots of clubs scattered throughout the burbs).

Old 02-11-2010, 12:28 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,206,894 times
Quote:
Austins culture seems to be centered around the cities core. In a place like Houston that has several areas, is there a particular part of the city outside of downtown that is the main bar/club scene?
Multiple areas outside of the Downtown.

Old 02-11-2010, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Houston is also very spread out and while it's nightlife doesn't compare with places like Miami. It offers more than Austin's. Many people comment that once you reach a certain age in Austin (approx. 25+). The scene becomes very dull and boring; Houston offers to more age groups, but the difference is that clubs and party districts are spread out (Washington Ave, Midtown, Downtown, Uptown, Montrose area, and you have lots of clubs scattered throughout the burbs).

Your right JLUKE people feel a city doesnt have good night life because they may not have one area where all people go and party.. I know plenty of places in Atlanta and Miami where There are nice clubs and bars that dont sit inside a party district...

Old 02-11-2010, 12:30 PM

2,023 posts, read 4,187,100 times
Quote:
The nightlife in Houston is very spread out. You don't have anything like 6th Street, the Riverwalk, or the French Quarter in Houston. I think the LT lines under construction will do wonders for Houston's nightlife because it will connect all the hot spots by rail.

Old 02-11-2010, 12:30 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,301,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RudeBoy21 View Post
Well maybe for the caucasin its a bit lull But for my African american gay scene its Always bumpin Monday thru sunday... I go to Heritic blakes, swinging richards and the Jungle with 2 of my caucasin friends. and I have a good time.. but im not that intuned with that scene so you could be right.. I can name at least 15 african american gay establishments and places that have alternative nights...
The scene is still fun but just not what it was before the 2004 bar crack down. Bulldogs is the only AA bar I had gone to in Atlanta and I had a lot of fun. I walked in and someone said "oooh its snowin in here y'all" and my white friend I was with is a pretty big guy and he said "well hell I must be a blizzard" and everyone started laughing at the bar. It was a fun crowd and lots of hotties, I would definitely go back. I'm not really familiar with any other AA bars in Atlanta but I do know its a very vibrant scene.

Old 02-11-2010, 12:32 PM

1,854 posts, read 4,921,337 times
Has L.A.'s reputation changed in the last 24 hours or something? It's one of the US's nightlife capitals along with Miami, Las Vegas, and NYC.....

Old 02-11-2010, 12:36 PM

Quote:
The scene is still fun but just not what it was before the 2004 bar crack down. Bulldogs is the only AA bar I had gone to in Atlanta and I had a lot of fun. I walked in and someone said "oooh its snowin in here y'all" and my white friend I was with is a pretty big guy and he said "well hell I must be a blizzard" and everyone started laughing at the bar. It was a fun crowd and lots of hotties, I would definitely go back. I'm not really familiar with any other AA bars in Atlanta but I do know its a very vibrant scene.
I hate Bulldoggs. I have not been there in over a year its so tired... The older men are very aggressive... But I do miss Backstreets. I had a party at wet bar once it turned into this club called primal I think the owner sold the place....

Old 02-11-2010, 12:42 PM

2,023 posts, read 4,187,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
I've met plenty of people over 25 who still enjoys Austin's nightlife, but that's not true for everyone obviously. Which city has the better nightlife is subject to opinion (you can find a lot in Austin that you can't find Houston and visa versa), but the OT was about how Houston's downtown compares in liveliness compared to other Sunbelt cities. From my experience, Houston's downtown liveliness pails in comparison to San Antonio and Austin (not to mention New Orleans or SF)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City