Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: 2020's Bellevue vs Austin
Bellevue 14 40.00%
Austin 21 60.00%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2022, 02:30 PM

765 posts, read 899,720 times

Advertisements

Two tech centers, Bellevue and Austin.
Which one do you think will come out on top by the end of the decade? Now of course Austin has more history and culture, but Bellevue is a very quick bus (and soon to be train) ride over the lake to Seattle. I think as Bellevue and the Eastside continue to grow, they could maybe make a case by the end of the decade that rivals Austin. I'm not sure which one is more dominated by tech, but both are continuing to grow exponentially in that sector and in population/ construction. Also Austin's skyline is better right now imo but Bellevue has so much in the pipeline that I think it's going to be close very soon.
Whatcha think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2022, 02:42 PM

9,902 posts, read 6,612,278 times
Austin has more room to grow but Seattle/Bellevue is too far ahead for Austin over take anytime soon

Old 02-21-2022, 02:55 PM

11,817 posts, read 8,023,382 times
If we are talking about Bellevue alone, not including Seattle…

I like them both but they are altogether two different entities aside from them both being tech centered. Bellevue is much better designed than Downtown Austin. Austin will eventually have a $7Bil rail which includes a subway downtown. I don’t know a great deal about the rail project in Bellevue but if it’s Heavy Rail then it’s pretty close but I think the subway overall will be alittle closer to what is seen at Transit Tunnel. Not a spitting image by any means but they have some pretty impressive plans. For connectivity though, Seattle is light years ahead of Austin, the $7 Bil project will not change that.

In terms of tech, both downtowns are dominated by the tech scene and I think it is close but I think Austin is slightly ahead here. There are also countless projects going up in Downtown as well.

Old 02-21-2022, 03:18 PM

6,384 posts, read 5,009,673 times
Austin at least has a structurally dense core around downtown that has potential, no amount of construction will change how suburban Bellevue's layout is.

Old 02-21-2022, 03:22 PM

8,869 posts, read 6,878,641 times
One is a whole city and another is small part of a city. Bellevue and its partners Kirkland, Redmond, and Issaquah (the core of the Eastside) are collectively 8% of the Seattle area population.

That said, all four have substantial office construction underway. Bellevue has the Amazon HQ1b firehose in its downtown, possibly the biggest of Meta's Seattle area nodes at the Spring District including buildings underway, plus the newly upgraded T-Mobile HQ. Redmond has the $3b Microsoft core campus redo underway plus inroads by Google and a number of Meta buildings including work underway. Kirkland has a couple growing Google campuses. Issaquah doesn't have as much tech, but the Costco HQ is adding a building. Combined, this area has more office construction than some large metros. (Issaquah's motto: Our name is so hard to spell and pronounce that Costco chose Kirkland as its brand name.)

I wouldn't call the Eastside urban, but it's getting a lot of urban nodes. Downtown Bellevue is the big one of course. Austin's skyline and core urbanity are higher.

Bellevue outdoes Austin in commute shares. Bellevue was 13.3% transit commutes (its residents) vs. 3.3% for Austin in 2019. Walking 7.8% to 2.6%. Biking 1.6% to 1.1%. Drove alone 56.0% to 70.3%. Bellevue is basically Portland in its commute stats.

Bellevue has a "boring" name in Seattle, but it's actually more international than the core city.

Last edited by mhays25; 02-21-2022 at 03:36 PM..

Old 02-21-2022, 03:35 PM

8,869 posts, read 6,878,641 times
Let me add to that. Bellevue will never get big chip plants or corporate relocations (nor will the Seattle area overall). First, land is both scarce and expensive. Second, related to #1, most people don't move here unless they make six figures, don't have kids, or know somebody. And third, we don't play the incentive game. Bellevue and other municipalities don't try to actively punish corporations like Seattle can, but it's still a challenge.

Instead we grow companies gradually, whether they're home-grown or the engineering offices every other tech company (apparently) has established. And we're pretty good at gradually turning small operations into huge ones.

Old 02-21-2022, 04:53 PM

2,346 posts, read 2,296,547 times
I’d lean towards Austin on account of Texas being more business friendly than Washington. If it were up to me though, I’d take Bellevue without thinking twice.

Old 02-22-2022, 07:43 AM

12,845 posts, read 9,583,014 times
Lived in both. Would prefer Bellevue easily. But, you're comparing a very small suburb to a giant city economically.

Old 02-22-2022, 09:59 AM

2,229 posts, read 1,403,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blaserbrad View Post
Two tech centers, Bellevue and Austin.
Which one do you think will come out on top by the end of the decade? Now of course Austin has more history and culture, but Bellevue is a very quick bus (and soon to be train) ride over the lake to Seattle. I think as Bellevue and the Eastside continue to grow, they could maybe make a case by the end of the decade that rivals Austin. I'm not sure which one is more dominated by tech, but both are continuing to grow exponentially in that sector and in population/ construction. Also Austin's skyline is better right now imo but Bellevue has so much in the pipeline that I think it's going to be close very soon.
Whatcha think?
How would this work exactly? Austin is growing much faster than Bellevue. And on the skyline, are you serious? Austin will have six 600' buildings under construction in 2022, one of those being over 1000'. Bellevue's current tallest is 450'.

Last edited by whereiend; 02-22-2022 at 10:07 AM..

Old 02-22-2022, 10:18 AM

9,902 posts, read 6,612,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Lived in both. Would prefer Bellevue easily. But, you're comparing a very small suburb to a giant city economically.
That's what's confused me about this, why are we comparing Austin specifically to Bellevue and not the Seattle area as a whole? May as well compare them completely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City