Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2010, 12:03 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,792,576 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
Dallas hosted the games very well. I think the chaos that erupted from the 2001 games in Atlanta taught everyone a lesson on planning for these events. I think they should give Atlanta another shot at hosting them, I mentioned that to a co-worker today and they said Atlanta isn't allowed to host it anymore because of all the trouble that took place there. I don't know if that is true or not.
What kaos?You are talking about the superbowl in 2000 when Ray Lewis was accused of shooting someone.It also was marred by bad weather.It had nothing to do with planning.the All Star Game was highly succesful nad was Atlanta 2 time hosting it.

Old 02-15-2010, 12:18 AM

4,435 posts, read 6,300,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
What kaos?You are talking about the superbowl in 2000 when Ray Lewis was accused of shooting someone.It also was marred by bad weather.It had nothing to do with planning.the All Star Game was highly succesful nad was Atlanta 2 time hosting it.
Just the horrible traffic issues (people couldnt get anywhere), looting of downtown stores, a shooting in midtown, the police shut down Lenox mall early because it was a mad house, Sports Illustrated did a write up about it, I believe it was described as Freaknik x 4. Heres the SI article. http://images.si.com/basketball/nba/...tlanta_follow/

Anyway, my point wasn't to mention the bad press on Atlanta but just that Dallas had planned well for the game and it showed. There were virtually no problems this weekend in relation to the crowds from the game. I give Dallas a round of applause for their hard work.

Last edited by R1070; 02-15-2010 at 12:28 AM..

Old 02-15-2010, 03:52 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,792,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
Just the horrible traffic issues (people couldnt get anywhere), looting of downtown stores, a shooting in midtown, the police shut down Lenox mall early because it was a mad house, Sports Illustrated did a write up about it, I believe it was described as Freaknik x 4. Heres the SI article. SI.com - 2003 NBA All-Star Game - Atlanta recovers from All-Star Weekend - Monday February 10, 2003 05:28 PM

Anyway, my point wasn't to mention the bad press on Atlanta but just that Dallas had planned well for the game and it showed. There were virtually no problems this weekend in relation to the crowds from the game. I give Dallas a round of applause for their hard work.
I admit it was bad.(Traffic)But truthfully Atlanta being the center of the hip hop and black culture as it is today is just gonna bring that type of revelry.Dallas (nor most cities)will never attract the extra people that come to Atlanta to party.We basically had a Mardi Gras that weekend.Theree was SO much going on.Like the article said "to much of a good thing".Puts Atlanta in a unique situation.I read somewhere that Atlanta had more professional Athletes per capita that call Atlanta home other than LA and Miami.However it was extremely profitable for the city and the NBA.I guarantee you that the economic impact of the games in the ATL were far greater than in Dallas.That is whats gonna determine the future as always;MONEY.

Old 02-15-2010, 08:08 AM

9,191 posts, read 33,878,501 times
http://bestsmileys.com/signs1/15.gif (broken link)

WARNING:

Folks, the topic is not about Houston, politics, or Mexican immigration. Please refer to the original posting for the topic. All other posts that are not on this topic will be deleted.

Old 02-15-2010, 08:43 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,737,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post

WARNING:

Folks, the topic is not about Houston, politics, or Mexican immigration. Please refer to the original posting for the topic. All other posts that are not on this topic will be deleted.
THANK GOD! I was afraid that this was going to be another Atlanta/Houston pissing match.

Back to the OP's question. I think Midtown Atlanta is actually more similar to Uptown Dallas. Im very fond of both neighborhoods, they are just different. The thing they do have in common is that they are both quite upscale. I think Buckhead might actually be better compared to the Galleria area of Dallas.

Old 02-15-2010, 09:18 AM

9,221 posts, read 15,951,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
THANK GOD! I was afraid that this was going to be another Atlanta/Houston pissing match.

Back to the OP's question. I think Midtown Atlanta is actually more similar to Uptown Dallas. Im very fond of both neighborhoods, they are just different. The thing they do have in common is that they are both quite upscale. I think Buckhead might actually be better compared to the Galleria area of Dallas.
Buckhead compared to The Galleria area? Maybe the mall itself, but the surrounding area of Galleria Dallas is not nearly as desirable as Buckhead. Now Northpark is different...

Old 02-15-2010, 09:23 AM

631 posts, read 1,227,938 times
Quote:

Wasn't all star weekend in 2003 I know I moved to Atlanta that weekend?? It was crazy here in Atlanta I must admit . that was the same weekend I moved too Atl. It was off the chain...

Last edited by RudeBoy21; 02-15-2010 at 09:35 AM..

Old 02-15-2010, 10:38 AM

4,775 posts, read 8,838,653 times
Quote:
I admit it was bad.(Traffic)But truthfully Atlanta being the center of the hip hop and black culture as it is today is just gonna bring that type of revelry.Dallas (nor most cities)will never attract the extra people that come to Atlanta to party.We basically had a Mardi Gras that weekend.Theree was SO much going on.Like the article said "to much of a good thing".Puts Atlanta in a unique situation.I read somewhere that Atlanta had more professional Athletes per capita that call Atlanta home other than LA and Miami.However it was extremely profitable for the city and the NBA.I guarantee you that the economic impact of the games in the ATL were far greater than in Dallas.That is whats gonna determine the future as always;MONEY.
I doubt seriously that the economic impact was far less...Lets not draw conclusions. Lets wait for the final tallies. Plus Dallas was hammered by a foot of snow...And still managaed to get 108,000 in the seats.

Old 02-15-2010, 11:19 AM

5,092 posts, read 8,845,027 times
Quote:
never? i highly doubt you have the ability to look into the future, so you don't know that

Old 02-15-2010, 11:22 AM

5,092 posts, read 8,845,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
couldn't we just say that oak lawn in general is comparable to buckhead? maybe?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City