Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Tampa Versus Pittsburgh
TAMPA 80 31.75%
PITTSBURGH 149 59.13%
TOO CLOSE TO CALL 5 1.98%
UNDECIDED 3 1.19%
DON'T CARE 12 4.76%
NO OPINION 3 1.19%
Voters: 252. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2010, 09:11 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,523,731 times

Advertisements

Pittsburgh Zoo & PPG Aquarium

Carnegie Science Center: OMNIMAX®

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carnegi...atural_History

Carnegie Science Center - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Carnegie Museums of Pittsburgh - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Lowry Park Zoo - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Brevard Zoo - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Florida Aquarium - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tampa_Museum_of_Art
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2010, 09:38 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,651,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSquills View Post
Again, as I stated many pages back; Population gains and declines are much more complex than simply people wanting to move somewhere. That San Diego kid (who probably has never set foot in a single Pittsburgh neighborhood) has no concept of why Pittsburgh has had a population decline. He still thinks that it means it is some falling apart city that nobody likes and wants to move too. This is a very basic and childish understanding on the actual real world.

I understand if you took a poll to kids graduating college they of course would want to move some where sunny and warm. That makes sense. The older you get, and the more places you have been you understand there if more about places then that. Trust me, right now I would do anything to be in Tampa instead of Pittsburgh (it being late February). But ask me in April-November.

These two cities are polar opposites. From Climate, urban structure, culture, arts, almost everything. I love Pittsburgh'd old walkable neighborhoods. Something I couldn't give up is the Pittsburgh neighborhoods and how they each have their own European style urban qualities. Although I would love some sun and a beach in February.
I do understand why Pittsburgh has had a population decline for years, but that isn't the point I was trying to make. And don't assume you know what I am thinking b/c you don't at all. Why don't you go back reread the thread, attempt to comprehend it, and then understand why I posted what I did. And either way I showed a study that shows that Pittsburgh is not a popular place for people to want to move to. It was mainly a response to an ignorant remark that Tampa is stagnant and in decline while Pittsburgh "will endure for ages". I was just pointing out how ridiculous that statement is given the history and statistical data of Pittsburgh's population. If someone is going to bash a city like Tampa like that I'm gonna shoot back and point out their own cities faults and issues as well. Maybe if you took off your Pittsburgh blinders and reread this thread you'd see it's a certain individual that began and continues the unnecessary Tampa bashing which has lead to negative things being said about Pittsburgh. So why don't you get off my back and say something to them instead.

Last edited by sav858; 02-24-2010 at 10:33 PM..

Old 02-25-2010, 07:28 AM

29,745 posts, read 34,383,370 times
Quote:
Have you ever been to Clearwater City Florida, which is part of Tampa? It's absolutely STUNNING. Some of the most beautiful, white sand beaches I have ever seen!
I'll grant you that the beaches are stunning, but the area around the beaches are overdeveloped with high rise retirement blocks competing with with motels competing with tacky strip malls as far as the eye can see. The natural environment of the beaches is nice; the built environment around it is a mess.

Old 02-25-2010, 07:35 AM

2,413 posts, read 5,749,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slendabrn38 View Post
I live part of the year in Miami and I HATE it here. This town is so limited. If it weren't for my mother I would be out of here and back in NY permanently.
I heard Miami had racial problems. I personally don't like Miami a whole lot either. Probably my least favorite Florida city.

Last edited by TB Fla; 02-25-2010 at 08:11 AM..

Old 02-25-2010, 07:55 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,943,753 times
Yep, only old people want to come to Florida. FORGET all the youth that are gonna FILL up the state of Florida in March for SPRING BREAK!!! Forget BET coming to Florida EVERYYEAR for SPRING BLING, forget MTV going to Florida, it's all a MIRAGE. Forget young stars and athletes buying houses down there, and preforming down there for Spring Break, In actuality all the youth are gonna flee to the northeast for Spring Break. Forget all the high schoolers going to grad-bash at the themeparks. Next month is gonna be one BIG MIRAGE.lol Boring OLD Florida.

Old 02-25-2010, 07:57 AM

2,413 posts, read 5,749,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
I do understand why Pittsburgh has had a population decline for years, but that isn't the point I was trying to make. And don't assume you know what I am thinking b/c you don't at all. Why don't you go back reread the thread, attempt to comprehend it, and then understand why I posted what I did. And either way I showed a study that shows that Pittsburgh is not a popular place for people to want to move to. It was mainly a response to an ignorant remark that Tampa is stagnant and in decline while Pittsburgh "will endure for ages". I was just pointing out how ridiculous that statement is given the history and statistical data of Pittsburgh's population. If someone is going to bash a city like Tampa like that I'm gonna shoot back and point out their own cities faults and issues as well. Maybe if you took off your Pittsburgh blinders and reread this thread you'd see it's a certain individual that began and continues the unnecessary Tampa bashing which has lead to negative things being said about Pittsburgh. So why don't you get off my back and say something to them instead.
There are some areas that are like this, but not all of the beaches in the Tampa area are. There are still a lot of state parks that are untouched. Like Egmont Key, Ft Desoto, Caladesi Island, and Honeymoon island.

Last edited by TB Fla; 02-25-2010 at 08:14 AM..

Old 02-25-2010, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycricanpapi View Post
Do you have proof that people want to move there? I heard that the heat in FL is unbearable.. so...
People want to live in BOTH regions. The northeast AND Florida. Why else would RICH New Yorkers buy houses in Florida, if they can do whatever they want to, with all the money they make living in NYC? The richest Northerners have houses in Florida. Florida is still desirable. so......

Old 02-25-2010, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSquills View Post
Again, as I stated many pages back; Population gains and declines are much more complex than simply people wanting to move somewhere. That San Diego kid (who probably has never set foot in a single Pittsburgh neighborhood) has no concept of why Pittsburgh has had a population decline. He still thinks that it means it is some falling apart city that nobody likes and wants to move too. This is a very basic and childish understanding on the actual real world.

I understand if you took a poll to kids graduating college they of course would want to move some where sunny and warm. That makes sense. The older you get, and the more places you have been you understand there if more about places then that. Trust me, right now I would do anything to be in Tampa instead of Pittsburgh (it being late February). But ask me in April-November.

These two cities are polar opposites. From Climate, urban structure, culture, arts, almost everything. I love Pittsburgh'd old walkable neighborhoods. Something I couldn't give up is the Pittsburgh neighborhoods and how they each have their own European style urban qualities. Although I would love some sun and a beach in February.
Both cities have there positives and negatives indeed.

Old 02-25-2010, 02:06 PM

3,770 posts, read 10,575,309 times

YouTube - Tarpon Springs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City