Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 02:40 PM

631 posts, read 1,574,934 times

Advertisements

Toronto and Vancouver are pure amazingness. I also like Winnepeg, Calgary, and Mississauga. Halifax and Hamilton also are pretty nice, and an honerable mention goes to Yellowknife for the size (considering the city itself is barely 20k), and it has it's own charm partly thanks to the natural setting, even if the diversity isn't quite there.

Old 02-16-2010, 04:50 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,239,989 times
I like Toronto the best.

If you add the beautiful PNW mountain scenery, than I guess Vancouver might move ahead. But I am still not sure, I have never been in Vancouver but the closeup pictures I have seen of the skyline tend to be of more modern residential type apartment buildings, which IMHO are less attractive than the skyscrapers in Toronto. I still think Vancouver is a beautiful city and I can see why it is ranked so highly on one list after another.

Montreal is another nice skyline city, as is on a much smaller scale, Quebec City.

Halifax did not strike me as having much of a skyline, although I love the city. Having a huge historic fortress in the center of the city (Halifax Citadel) is probably more interesting and certainly more unique than a few more big buildings anyway.

Old 02-16-2010, 04:56 PM

12,825 posts, read 22,003,919 times
Toronto, Montreal, Quebec City, IMHO.

I don't care for Vancouver's skyline. However, that doesn't mean anything in terms of how I feel about the city as a whole. Vancouver is an AWESOME gem of a city. It has a feel like no other I've ever been to. I've only spent 3 days there (short stop on a ski trip to Whistler), but I fell in love.

Again, I just don't see it with the skyline? Yep, the setting is nice... but it's... fat. It's fat and stumpy. There's very little range. Take a look at Toronoto, you have a peak (two if you count the CN tower) and scaled tapering from there. Same with Montreal (a few peaks). Vancouver has a lot of higher buildings, but many of them are architecturally insignificant, and few really jump out at you. There's very little rhyme or reason to that skyline, it's just... there. I don't think it's very pretty from a skyline perspective at all. As a city, Vancouver is awesome (which tells you just how important skylines are in the bigger scheme of things), but its skyline is "blah."

Old 02-16-2010, 06:13 PM

1,213 posts, read 2,322,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
Halifax did not strike me as having much of a skyline, although I love the city. Having a huge historic fortress in the center of the city (Halifax Citadel) is probably more interesting and certainly more unique than a few more big buildings anyway.
I guess being from a smaller city myself, I find the smaller skylines attractive

Old 02-16-2010, 06:27 PM

1,854 posts, read 4,919,808 times
Toronto's skyline always looks incredibly small in photos to me, but since its allegedly the 3rd largest in North America I want to see it in person.
Vancouver gets my vote for sheer volume and surrounding beauty.

Old 02-16-2010, 07:51 PM

196 posts, read 614,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDX_LAX View Post
Toronto's skyline always looks incredibly small in photos to me, but since its allegedly the 3rd largest in North America I want to see it in person.

I think Toronto looks that way because it has the CN tower dwarfing the skyline. It's certainly bigger than any of the others up here, in terms of total height. Here's a good picture of what it looks like with that awesome structure out of the way:

Photo removed by Moderator due to excessive size - please read the photo posting guidelines in the room sticky: //www.city-data.com/forum/city-...e-posting.html

Now, whether it's attractive is another matter. I think Toronto could use just a couple more really distinctive buildings (maybe one that isn't a box... boxes are OK, but a skyline that's almost all boxes is boring). If it had those, it would be one of the greatest skylines in North America, but as it is, I'd put it a little behind Philly. It's about level with Houston--which I mean as a compliment to both skylines.

Montreal is smaller, but IMHO it's the prettiest and most charming of the skylines listed. Like so:

Removed by Moderator - dead link, plus issues with copyright - see room sticky.

Calgary is also very impressive, ESPECIALLY for a metro of 1.2 million:
http://www.viewcalgary.com/panorama/...idway_0426.jpg

I think it's a three-way tie between Toronto, Montreal, and Vancouver, with Calgary coming close.

Last edited by JMT; 02-15-2013 at 04:25 PM..

Old 02-16-2010, 08:24 PM

1,854 posts, read 4,919,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFriendlyGod View Post
I think Toronto looks that way because it has the CN tower dwarfing the skyline. It's certainly bigger than any of the others up here, in terms of total height. Here's a good picture of what it looks like with that awesome structure out of the way:

Now, whether it's attractive is another matter. I think Toronto could use just a couple more really distinctive buildings (maybe one that isn't a box... boxes are OK, but a skyline that's almost all boxes is boring). If it had those, it would be one of the greatest skylines in North America, but as it is, I'd put it a little behind Philly. It's about level with Houston--which I mean as a compliment to both skylines.

Montreal is smaller, but IMHO it's the prettiest and most charming of the skylines listed. Like so:

Calgary is also very impressive, ESPECIALLY for a metro of 1.2 million:

I think it's a three-way tie between Toronto, Montreal, and Vancouver, with Calgary coming close.
Cool pictures

I think pictures taken from the water (IE the picture in the OP) only get a slice of the skyline making it seem smaller.

Old 02-16-2010, 08:28 PM

882 posts, read 2,244,744 times
Yeah, I think Calgary is really impressive, and should be more recognized for its skyline, but being a 1 million+ metro doesn't help too much.

I actually prefer Calgary's skyline over Vancouver's skyline, but with Vancouver's natural setting it's hard for me to put it as the 3rd best Canadian skyline.

1. Toronto
2. Calgary
3. Vancouver
4. Montreal

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/184/4...8133896ac5.jpg
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1214/...84a5fd1743.jpg
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/23/29...d7004ff97e.jpg

Last edited by JMT; 02-15-2013 at 04:25 PM..

Old 02-16-2010, 09:35 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,876,421 times
Since there have been a couple of issues with the pics already in this thread folks - for the newbies, please read the photo posting guidelines in the room sticky: //www.city-data.com/forum/city-...e-posting.html

Thank you

Old 02-16-2010, 09:36 PM

293 posts, read 900,100 times
Toronto is easily my favorite Canadian skyline, Followed by Montreal. Vancouver also has a nice skyline, and in some ways, its better then both Montreal's and Toronto's, but I really don't like the generic, cookie cutter look of its skyline. So overall, I find it less impressive the the other two.

1. Toronto
2. Montreal
3. Vancouver
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City